• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Atlas globe gone, but not yet Marvel .... post implosion issues
1 1

133 posts in this topic

Wow, GREAT posts everyone!!! I knew several of you could fill in some gaps to give a more complete picture of the period. I have toyed with the idea of completing the entire block, every genre, to have my own newsstand. Maybe someday, until then, this community newsstand will provide me hours of enjoyment!!! Thank you all again for jumping in and making this thread AWESOME!!!!   (worship)

Did the first "MC" appear on this June 1961 issue?

jim_69_cropped.jpg.e6cbf71920d16ddf218e289bc94a876d.jpg

The other PHM titles switched over with the July cover dates (except for Amazing Adventures #3 in August).

-bc

Ok - according to the GCD :

"Tied with Patsy Walker (Marvel, 1945 series) #95 (on sale date the same) as first use of MC brand, which is considered to be the first use of the company being called Marvel Comics in the 1960s."

Edited by bc

On 8/17/2021 at 11:16 AM, KirbyJack said:

I know CGC says Atlas on these. But I have always considered any of the publisher’s post implosion comics to be Marvel, IF they contain Kirby or Ditko art.

That is certainly one of many definitions that I've heard over the years, although I'm not sure if there's any clear defining point that that takes place across the board. I think CGC goes by when the MC shows up on the cover in the little box. Some people still consider FF #1 to be the start of the Silver Age of Marvel. I doubt that people will ever unify on an agreed upon date. 

On 8/18/2021 at 7:02 PM, bc said:

Did the first "MC" appear on this June 1961 issue?

jim_69_cropped.jpg.e6cbf71920d16ddf218e289bc94a876d.jpg

The other PHM titles switched over with the July cover dates (except for Amazing Adventures #3 in August).

-bc

Ok - according to the GCD :

"Tied with Patsy Walker (Marvel, 1945 series) #95 (on sale date the same) as first use of MC brand, which is considered to be the first use of the company being called Marvel Comics in the 1960s."

Yup, the above JIM #69 and Patsy Walker #95 were the first two issues to have the MC on the cover. Like so many things Marvel, changes didn't usually happen instantly. Even the "circle price" happened over the course of SEVERAL months, starting in June of 1961 with the JIM #69 and Patsy Walker #95 previously mentioned, but also including Life with Millie #11 and TTA #20. The last hold outs on the "circle price" were the duo of Kid Colt Outlaw #110 and Two-Gun Kid #63 cover dated May 1963, as all of the other titles gave way to the corner box, some of which had their last "circle price" cover in March of 1963, like JIM #90.