• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Greatest Sketch Cover Collection
2 2

15 posts in this topic

This is my first post.  I have been collecting sketch covers for about a year and half.

I have been watching this site for some time. 

I have to ask who has the GREATEST, The BEST, the MOST OUTRAGOUS Sketch Cover Collection out there?  I would think it would have to be someone on these CGC boards.

Let the debate begin.

On 8/14/2021 at 6:06 PM, JoeyJoeJoe said:

This is my first post.  I have been collecting sketch covers for about a year and half.

I have been watching this site for some time. 

I have to ask who has the GREATEST, The BEST, the MOST OUTRAGOUS Sketch Cover Collection out there?  I would think it would have to be someone on these CGC boards.

Let the debate begin.

Is your last name, Junior Shabadoo?

Edited by Jeffro.

On 8/18/2021 at 5:26 PM, seanfingh said:

I'm not going to answer the question you asked.  The sketch collections that deserve special attention for being great, amazing and outrageous, in Fingh's opinion are as follows:

IVDYER - absolutely breathtaking sketch collection, with an emphasis on photorealistic celebrity sketches

Alphatrion - has some of the most coveted, rare and doggone amazing sketches in the world

MedicAR - focuses on his personal favorite artists (not all of whom are mainstream guys) and Stan Lee items. His collection is not to be missed.

Harley Troy - an absolutely insane collection of Hero Initiative sketches.

There are tons of other great collections, but these deserve special consideration.

I agree that @ivdyer is the top of the list. I have not seen a collection of sketch covers that even comes close.

Here is this years Sketch Cover Thread 2021 it was started by ivdyer ( who also did the 2020 sketch cover thread. I too agree he has one of the best sketch cover collections. 

Appreciate all the love here, all the names mentioned so far have phenomenal collections along with @somewhereintexas and @Adonis.  Hard question to answer as so many collectors often collect specific art, artists, styles, etc.... There are some Crain specific collectors here and on IG that have some spectacular books.  That is part of the joy, for me, of posting and coming to the boards is just to see what people are interested in and how that comes to life on a sketch cover.  

It would be awesome to have an incredible amount of sketch covers. I just got into the hobby not too long ago and amassed over 20+ in that short period of time. But since I prefer them slabbed. I try to be picky on which ones to pursue. I can't imagine having over 100+ and having minimal storage space. I've seen the names mentioned above collections and they're pretty incredible. Not sure if there's any worth in these sketches but I do appreciate the hobby. Especially when you get an actual sketch from your favorite artist growing up.   

On 8/21/2021 at 9:01 PM, JoeyJoeJoe said:

Can we do a top ten in this thread? I would love to see that!

Who has the rarest artists? Are there artists that have never done sketch covers?

There are plenty of artists who haven't done sketch covers.

My "rarest" sketch covers were done by: George Tuska, Sam Glanzman, Rich Buckler, Jim Steranko, John Totleben, Mike Ploog and Russ Heath

https://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryRoom.asp?Page=1&GSub=248