• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us what's on your Bookshelf!
3 3

309 posts in this topic

On 10/10/2021 at 8:57 AM, Zonker said:

So, maybe a palate cleanser or two would be in order? :bigsmile:

pkd.thumb.jpeg.440be43ab91c5aeea3fdff3c19f480ac.jpeg

Love it.  My PKD books are a bit more scattered; I've got the Ace D-Series mixed in with the other Ace D-Series (shown way back in this thread) but I'm up to about 20 firsts.  You've got more hardcovers than I do, though!

On 10/10/2021 at 12:51 PM, Sarg said:

Jim Corbett was the opposite of a "big game hunter." He did shoot big game, but only because said "game" were killing people in droves in India. He hunted to save lives, never for sport.

The artwork on the covers of most of his books is pretty bad IMO. By far the best version of Man-Eaters of Kumaon is the 1961 Oxford printing, with the painted wrap-around cover by Raymond Sheppard, as well as interiors by the same artist. His pen work reminds me of J. Allen St. John.

IMG_0815.jpeg

IMG_0816.jpeg

That is some nice artwork! Now that I've been discussing those books, I'll have to finally read them.

On 10/10/2021 at 12:58 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

That is some nice artwork! Now that I've been discussing those books, I'll have to finally read them.

They are a great read. Corbett is astute observer of nature and a modest individual who portrays his accomplishments and hardships in a matter-of-fact manner.

The first national park created by an independent India was named for Corbett in recognition of his promotion of conservation and personal bravery in tracking and killing some of the worst man-eating cats in modern history.

On 9/27/2021 at 3:21 PM, Pat Calhoun said:

While most of the books in my hardcover collection have DJs, they are interspersed with those without them: often older books with nice decor on the cloth boards, and those, though fewer in number, do much to lend the whole library an antiquarian look. Here's some from my files with fun stuff on the covers.

img994.jpg

img328.jpg

img915.jpg

img916.jpg

img950.jpg

Some very nice book design there.