• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us what's on your Bookshelf!
3 3

309 posts in this topic

On 8/19/2021 at 8:57 PM, PopKulture said:

The Roy Rockwood, Tom Corbett, and Rick Brants caught my eye, along with all the Burroughs. :luhv:

Yeah, for me it was Bedrock's ERBs.  Too bad BZ isn't around to post some of his book cases.  They are the stuff of unobtainable dreams for mere mortals like me:

BurroughsBooksGA14.jpg.eeba4db6d3e826278c095e9ec32e263c.jpg

On 8/19/2021 at 11:13 PM, sfcityduck said:

Yeah, for me it was Bedrock's ERBs.  Too bad BZ isn't around to post some of his book cases.  They are the stuff of unobtainable dreams for mere mortals like me:

Yeah, those are crazy. And we can be fairly certain those aren’t reproduction dust jackets either. (worship)

On 8/19/2021 at 8:55 PM, sfcityduck said:

Not dissing those books that remind me of some of Bang Zoom's shelves, it's just I am all about nostalgia - and I was a kid when those Superman/Batman/Shazam books came out.  So PM me! 

Yeah, Shazam is the only one I didn't get of that group. I wonder if it had lower distribution or something. I would have picked it up or asked for it as a Christmas gift had I seen it in the bookstore with the others.

On 8/20/2021 at 1:09 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I've never read any Ian Fleming; good reads?

Ian Fleming is a fantastic author! From Russia With Love is a good book to start on.  The London Times, a very serious paper, ranked him in the top 15 of the Greatest British Authors since WWII.

On 8/20/2021 at 1:53 PM, sfcityduck said:

Ian Fleming is a fantastic author! From Russia With Love is a good book to start on.  The London Times, a very serious paper, ranked him in the top 15 of the Greatest British Authors since WWII.

Thanks and that is one of my favorite Bond movies. I'll have to be on the lookout for that in my local used bookstore; should be easy to find.

On 8/19/2021 at 9:13 PM, sfcityduck said:

That's such an awesome display. Was that pulled from BZ's original thread?

Oh and if you wanted to pick up a similar collection you only need about a third of a million!!

ERB.thumb.jpg.926da02854bf185c80c707aed478ecef.jpg

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

On 8/20/2021 at 2:42 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

That's such an awesome display. Was that pulled from BZ's original thread?

Oh and if you wanted to pick up a similar collection you only need about a third of a million!!

ERB.thumb.jpg.926da02854bf185c80c707aed478ecef.jpg

Yes, BZ's thread (see the stacks behind the books?).  I saw that collection for sale out of Virginia (aside: why all the great collections - DA etc. - in that state?).  Made me wonder if BZ was selling.  Then I noticed that BZ's Return of Tarzan has the bookcover, so those aren't his books. BZ's look better.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 8/14/2021 at 7:01 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I know there is a thread for pictures of comic rooms in Comics General but @BB-Gun recently posted a picture of his bookshelf that I found really interesting. It occurred to me that others may have interesting collections on their bookshelves worthy of a post. A few years back I upgraded an old two shelf glass unit with a three door glass  beauty where I could store my treasures from fifty years of reading and collecting all kinds of paper related books, magazines and other material. I'll post a picture a day going from right to left in the cabinet. But I'd really enjoy seeing others post there bookshelves to see what you are reading or saving. Apologies for the top shelf which I have never got around to organizing. Someday when I finally retire...

Bookcase1.thumb.jpg.001a944ef89606ba7630a47d65248d75.jpg

I like the Stickley bookcase as much as the contents!

On 8/21/2021 at 12:18 AM, adamstrange said:

I also have a couple of memorial shelves.

Family Bookshelves sm.jpg

My brother and I had some real fun HO train setups as kids. He is still a full on train aficionado; I've always enjoyed them but my passion is really on the comics front. I do always remember being amazed by the pictures of brass Shay locomotives in the model railroad magazines we subscribed to as kids. I even got to see some in person in the early eighties when I accompanied him to some of the Manhattan model railroad stores that were still in action back then. That's really a nice ensemble of them on the shelf!

As kids we would wander around town looking to find old comics and train memorabilia. We never found comics but we always seemed to find train material that people would just give us. There was a local freight office with some really old freight agents. We went into visit and they gave us old Official Guides from the late 1800's that were sitting there gathering dust along with a bunch of other stuff. My brother has a room in his house overflowing with all this stuff as he saved it all for decades. When I get back to visit I poke my head in a laugh at the piles of stuff. If they were comics they would be worth a fortune. Old timetables; not so much!

He does have a display cabinet set up in the dining room which has china sets from the old Blue Comet train in New Jersey. They are really beautiful and that stuff is certainly worth money as it has a broader appeal and they really look great. I look at it and think of the plastic bottle of wine they gave me on my last ride on Amtrak's business class to the last San Diego show I attended and shake my head!

On 8/21/2021 at 2:12 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

brass Shay locomotives in the model railroad magazines we subscribed to as kids. I even got to see some in person in the early eighties when I accompanied him to some of the Manhattan model railroad stores that were still in action back then. That's really a nice ensemble of them on the shelf!

Bonus points for spotting the Shay!  But only one is a Shay, with the others filling out the complete set of narrow gauge logging trains produced in the US:  Clymax, Heisler and Williamette.  

Logging trains are engineering marvels; their complexity necesary to handle grades of 8% or more required to make it up the mountains where the big trees were felled.  Someone created a Shay out of Lego and, while not precisely accurate, it makes visible the action of the pistons.

On 8/21/2021 at 2:12 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

He does have a display cabinet set up in the dining room which has china sets from the old Blue Comet train in New Jersey. They are really beautiful and that stuff is certainly worth money as it has a broader appeal and they really look great.

Sounds very classy, like the great old railroad stations like Grand Central in NYC.

On 8/21/2021 at 3:10 PM, adamstrange said:

Sounds very classy, like the great old railroad stations like Grand Central in NYC.

When I lived back there through the early eighties I would wander through Grand Central with no idea of how wonderful the ceiling looked due to the decades of grime. Then they restored it and what a wonder it was to behold!

I still remember standing on a platform in that station in the late sixties or early seventies watching one of those Orange New Haven Diesels pull out spewing massive amounts of soot into the station! No wonder you couldn't see that ceiling!