• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 19 5.5 with edges trimmed
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Not sure if there is a definitive answer, but up for discussion is an ASM #19 CGC qualified graded 5.5. The CGC description notes that all 3 edges have been trimmed. If a non-restored (non-altered?) 5.5 is selling for around $250, what in the world would be the market for this one? It just seems to me that a non-trimmed 5.5 would be preferable, but I guess if the price is low enough for this one... What do you think?

i-img898x1198-1628501366ar5ujr4803.jpg

i-img916x1200-1628501366ac0fz94803.jpg

Edited by Fukuoka

Obviously, only you can decide what's right for your collection. Personally, I'd only want a trimmed book on my shelf if: 1) like some GA oddballs, finding any copy is a coup; or 2) the book is so expensive that I'd be priced out of other options (but even then, I'd rather drop grade or opt for non-trimming restoration than take a trimmed book).

I not a Spider-Man-man, but if I wanted to pick this issue up, I would buy a 5.5U for $250 every day of the week and twice on Sunday in lieu of this book. Quick searching revealed there's a 5.0U available right now for 379 and a 4.0U for 255 OBO. It's neither rare nor expensive enough of a book that I'd want a copy someone had -- repeatedly -- attacked with a paper cutter. If I accept that this book in a grade-equivalent blue label "should" be about 250 (as I'm too lazy to go check that right now), then I don't think I would value this any more than about 75 bucks -- 30% of the Universal price. If that. And I still wouldn't actually buy it at that price; the difference between $75 and $250 (or $379 or anything close) just isn't enough -- for me, anyway -- to sway me into owning an intentionally damaged book.

Some people are probably bothered less by the trimming, and want a pretty looking copy for cheap. Maybe that could float the price higher? I don't know, I don't really understand what some buyers do.

Thanks for your responses. FYI, it sold for around $160 on an auction.... I had heard that purple labels in general take off around half of the value. Guess that depends on what the purple label says. Yeah, I placed a bid for $40. Surprised that the final price went so high. 

On 8/18/2021 at 7:06 PM, RichCat said:

Thanks for your responses. FYI, it sold for around $160 on an auction.... I had heard that purple labels in general take off around half of the value. Guess that depends on what the purple label says. Yeah, I placed a bid for $40. Surprised that the final price went so high. 

Oh, I thought you were selling it.

I think that most Restored data involves higher-priced items. Once you get below the $500 spending range, things bunch up tighter.

No, not my copy. I posted this example more for my interest in how much restored pieces lose value. Value itself is relative, of course, and restored pieces have a wide range of restoration. I was just wondering how the community feels about restoration (3 edges trimmed!) that I assumed was rather drastic.

On 8/19/2021 at 4:27 AM, RichCat said:

No, not my copy. I posted this example more for my interest in how much restored pieces lose value. Value itself is relative, of course, and restored pieces have a wide range of restoration. I was just wondering how the community feels about restoration (3 edges trimmed!) that I assumed was rather drastic.

Define the community.  I suspect the feelings of a few people on the CGC chat boards do not reflect the overall sentiment of the entire comic collecting universe and you won't need them all to buy your book, just one of them, and if two or more are interested and a bidding war develops, who knows where it will stop.   Restored books are much tougher to value than universal books. I'd have paid around $100 for the book in question, knowing I could sell it for $150-$200.  It is, after all, a Ditko Spiderman and they are no longer making them.

Thanks, shadroch. You're right about that. I deal in other (non-comics) antiques and oftentimes a bidding war occurs, driving the price far beyond what the 'accepted' value is. It only takes 2 people, as you said.