• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Achieving the moment of 'contentment' with your collection?
5 5

58 posts in this topic

Is there anyone out there 100% satisfied and content with their collection?

How close are you to achieving this moment of comic 'oneness'?

Or is hunting / upgrading a never ending quest (and part of the fun)

After I completed my main SA Marvel runs recently (+ mentally accepted I've missed the boat on FF1-5 so won't complete that run) - I thought I might be there....... But I've now gone down the Batman /Tec Golden Age rabbit hole which is even pricier + trickier to find an 'end point'

Edited by lm1589

I am happy with what I've got. Been collecting since the late 70's/early 80's and have accumulated over 18,000 comics happily investing in runs and also multiples of a lot of 80's stuff when new like Star Wars, Moon Knight, X-Men and Micronauts (the first issue #1 a lot of people consider a Whitman variant) etc. etc. I have always been a "run" collector for the most part and from what I've heard, there's not a lot of these types of collections out there anymore. (Just something I read in an Overstreet market report by one of the contributors...have no idea if that's true or not). I have no desire to add to the collection and currently take a lot of joy when one of the issues I purchased decades ago all of a sudden get hot. Most recently, New Titans Annual #2. I have too often suffered from seller's remorse when selling, so am happy just sitting with what I have. 

Contentment, until you start moving over to the art, and have a foot in each camp. Do I want anymore slabs that are pressed to death, are any of the pages I want ever going to turn up, be within reach .. should I sell comics to buy more art, should I wait until that next movie before I sell, does that art even exist..

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs

The rule of thumb I always use is to be happy with what you have. I still look at dozens of vintage comics every day, and most of the books I see have that "picked over" look to them. And the prices...forget it.

So am I content with what I have? Absolutely...

Edited by The Lions Den

I happen to be into a few different collector hobbies (comics, vintage baseball cards, records, blus, vintage video games), so if I burn myself out on something, or get priced out on something, I have other interests to scratch my collector itch. After finally getting my Batman 181 a little while back (join our club), I haven't bought any big comics. I was after that one for ages. I still visit my local regularly and read a few current comics, but there aren't any "big" issues I'm after at the moment, which is kind of nice actually. I may have just splurged on a Mantle card though, but it was a good deal in relation to the current market. I'll be curtailing the spending for a bit though. 

Edited by profholt82

On 8/15/2021 at 7:16 PM, Ryan. said:

I find the acquiring to be more fun than the holding. 

Yes, this! Missed this post before. The thrill of the hunt is probably the driving force for most collectors. As good as it feels to finally track down a certain treasure you've been after, eventually that wears off and you're after the next one. It never ends. Ha!

I don't think I'll ever be 100% satisfied.  I do sometimes get board with a particular genre and move on. 

I'm probably going to sell off all my BA keys (very possibly all my BA books besides the DC horror) and try to put the money into a very specific GA book (if I can find it). 

I'll probably be looking to selectively upgrade my big SA keys when the right opportunities present themselves, but that's an expensive endeavor these days. 

I read back in the 60s then gave it away when I grew up. Held onto only a small amount of stuff. (my very first JLA comic that would be lucky to be1.0, man I read them to death,loaned them to friends.) Came back in the 1980s. I have a complete Flash run, almost complete GL run, Deadman, Doom Patrol, and many DC issues from the SA plus my favorite Marvels, ASM villain issues and Colan TOS etc.  I have a Tec 359 in around 8.0-8.5. Can't remember what I paid but back then it would have not been much more than for Tec 358. I bought it to read it again. I bought that entire Flash run, Doom Patrol, GL etc  to read. I sometimes wonder what I would have done if it was as easy to just buy archives as it is today. Considering how hard it was to buy these from Australia, I really doubt I would have.

Getting close, did a lot of submissions in the last 18 months. Only a few more on my want list to buy and a final stack to send into CGC on my "A-list." Will still send more in the future but that's the last of my priorities to grade. 

So glad I bought multiple small batches from MCS over the last 7 or 8 years. Prices have hardened so much on the low grade end I could afford that I'm very pleased with my targeted purchases. (MCS have nothing like the stock on hand they used to have. Now it's nearly all on consignment with prices that blow OSPG out of the water.) I don't need to visit the LCS for kicks, just go to one of my short boxes and dig out something I haven't spent enough time with. That feeling is priceless and possibly comes with age. I never fail to surprise myself. "Oh yeah, I forgot about this Silver Surfer 3."

Edited by LowGradeBronze

My contentment was achieved around 10 years ago when I made the decision to stop chasing high grade superhero books and focus on reader runs and the stuff I read as a kid, primarily Richie Rich, and some other Harvey, DC War comics, and Uncle Scrooge. 

I'm about 50-60 Richie Rich comics away from every RR titled comic produced between RR1 and when Harvey stopped publishing in the 1990s. Some of the later digests are a real bear to find. I'm two comics away from all the original Barks Uncle Scrooge run and more DC war comics are always on the list. I still would like to get a Four Color 178 (possible) and a Little Dot 1 (yeah right lol )

Great thread!

I do feel "content" insofar as I've completed all of my Marvel silver and bronze age runs.  But I also have my list of specific books I'm trying to upgrade, and I really enjoy the hunt.  I do occasionally come up with some new quest, it never gets old for me.  :whee: