• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

born in the SILVER age
2 2

43 posts in this topic

On 8/18/2021 at 1:21 PM, JohnH19 said:

I was born in December 1958. A couple of notable books, Flash 105 and Batman 121, came out that month.

As was I.  I briefly considered buying the comics that came out that month for my spinner rack, but those books changed a lark of a project into an expensive one.

On 8/18/2021 at 5:01 PM, shadroch said:

As was I.  I briefly considered buying the comics that came out that month for my spinner rack, but those books changed a lark of a project into an expensive one.

I bit the bullet and bought both books in the last couple of years. Thankfully, I got relatively good deals on them. I also have Superman 127 and Detective 264 from that month. I would still like to get some of the others.

On 8/18/2021 at 5:01 PM, shadroch said:

I thought about trying to do the same thing, but fortunately, I came to my senses when I realized how many books there were and how much they would cost.

august  30th, 1968, same month as the cover date of silver surfer 1 and within a couple months of avengers 57, coincidentally two of my favorite characters. also within days of the birth of led zeppelin. their first rehearsal was supposedly september 1968...

Edited by alexgross.com

I feel sorry for those who were not old enough to buy Silver Age books right off the racks.  It was a magical time with great monster models; great gum cards; great Saturday morning cartoons; and of course great comics!

Edited by pemart1966

On 8/24/2021 at 8:39 AM, pemart1966 said:

I feel sorry for those that were not old enough to buy Silver Age books right off the racks.  It was a magical time with great monster models; great gum cards; great Saturday morning cartoons; and of course great comics!

I had the measels in the mid-60s.  Any time my mom or dad left the house, I asked them to bring me a pack of baseball cards.  Loved the gum, and loved, loved, loved those cards.  Somehow all those cards disappeared, I think while I was away at college (familiar story, I know).  I also enjoyed putting together car models, and then blowing them up with firecrackers.