• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk 181 (again) in the 2003 Guide?

33 posts in this topic

I don't understand what people find "confusing" about the VALUE of HULK 181. It's the 1st FULL appearance of Wolverine. It's like saying; "What's so special about AMAZING FANTASY 15?". Think about it.......there may be alot of copies of HULK 181, but eventually the demand will surpass the supply. Is there anyone who collects Marvel comics that doesn't wish to own a copy? What's going to happen when all the dealers have sold all their multiples, and every copy is in the hands of TRUE collectors? Jump on the bandwagon and pick up your copy today....................

I don't think anyone is saying it isn't a significant key, but there are strong prices, and then there are stupid prices.

And you can't compare Hulk 181 to Amazing Fantasy 15 on ANY level.

Actually, I just received my copy on Friday. It's a CGC 8.5 with OW/W pages. I know what your thinking....."why buy an 8.5 when you could save up for a 9.2". I had initially wanted to get a 9.2 with white pages, but the copy I have has the Mark Jewellers insert. I paid $12,000 for it........just kidding(or am I?)

I've never got my copy graded, I think mines an 8.5. So, nothing wrong with the 8.5 you've got. Doesn't look a whole lot different from a 9.2 and probably's a lot cheaper.

Anyway, if it's a comic you like, you bought the right one.

Congratulations. grin.gif

And you can't compare Hulk 181 to Amazing Fantasy 15 on ANY level.

Actually it may be possible. Spidey was the third (as far as I recall) major Marvel superhero in Amazing Fantasy 15 as follows:

FF1 - 11/61

Hulk - 5/62

Spidey in AF15 - 8/62

Now in the BA with Hulk 181 (11/74) - the closest intro I can think of that would begin to approach Wolverine is Punisher in Spidey 129 in Feb '74. But if you had to compare Punisher to Wolverine it would be like comparing FF or Hulk to Spidey. Popular opinion does seem to make Spidey the Silver Age king. Popular opinion similarly seems to make Wolverine king.

I am not saying this is my personal take - but I THINK on that level you can compare Spidey and Wilvie. But please be gentle with me - I am just going by what I am trying to remember! smile.gif

Popular opinion does seem to make Spidey the Silver Age king. Popular opinion similarly seems to make Wolverine king.

They both have spin off series but Wolverine is the comic book crossover king. His appearances are everywhere and fans can't seem to get enough of him. I've only been collecting for about 13-14 years but wolverine was always considered a signficant character. He was an integral part of the X-men and the marvel universe in general. A wolverine appearance like a Spiderman appearance is guaranteed to sell books.