• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spiderman by J Michael Straczynski Question
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

So, I am interested in reading the second omnibus for this run. the Civil War and One More Day storylines intrigue me. 

My question is do I need to read the material from the first omnibus to know what is going on, or no? The first omnibus is very expensive, and the material in the second is really what I am interested in, but obviously since I have not read any of it, I don't know what I don't know : )

Thanks!

I was collecting ASM monthly at this point in the run and read through all of JMS's time until the Brand New Day stuff. It's a shame the Vol 1 omnibus is hard to get hold of now as there is a general theme that follows through the run.

However it's not a problem to just dive in to the second volume as they are still their own stories and easy to follow.

The highlight for me in Vol 1 would just be his alternative take on the character and his origins. It hasn't necessarily stuck in the continuity but is a fun read, the Morlun storyline was great. Some of the single issues are nice self contained stories too but nothing you couldn't catch up on later.

On 8/18/2021 at 6:37 AM, RickSp said:

I was collecting ASM monthly at this point in the run and read through all of JMS's time until the Brand New Day stuff. It's a shame the Vol 1 omnibus is hard to get hold of now as there is a general theme that follows through the run.

However it's not a problem to just dive in to the second volume as they are still their own stories and easy to follow.

The highlight for me in Vol 1 would just be his alternative take on the character and his origins. It hasn't necessarily stuck in the continuity but is a fun read, the Morlun storyline was great. Some of the single issues are nice self contained stories too but nothing you couldn't catch up on later.

Awesome, thanks for the very helpful information!