• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Something is killing the Children Thread- Boom Studios
1 1

85 posts in this topic

On 11/11/2021 at 12:15 PM, BladeTX said:

They will print more.  Boom is a for-profit enterprise :-)

I would not bet on it.

When Boom publishes something that I want I jump on it immediately. I love Boom but they are weird. In many ways. Maybe that is why I love them.

I have their Planet of the Apes Archive vol 2, 3, and 4. I'll never have vol 1.  I missed it.  It's essentially unavailable even in the aftermarket, where it is hard to find and priced sky high.  They didn't come close to meeting demand on those books.

On 11/17/2021 at 10:05 PM, Turnando said:

I would not bet on it.

When Boom publishes something that I want I jump on it immediately. I love Boom but they are weird. In many ways. Maybe that is why I love them.

I have their Planet of the Apes Archive vol 2, 3, and 4. I'll never have vol 1.  I missed it.  It's essentially unavailable even in the aftermarket, where it is hard to find and priced sky high.  They didn't come close to meeting demand on those books.

They did launch an unlimited print run - came out November 16.

I've enjoyed this series, also having caught up recently by buying the last 3 trades. I got a #1 Jae Lee raw a long time ago near the beginning, but never cared enough to battle the masses on the singles given the spec hype on the series. 

Now that I've caught up on the series, I will definitely agree it's quite good. Like the best spec, it started because it's a good and entertaining story. At this point I follow very few series in single-issue, but will continue to follow this one on trade!

I feel like if this has the same momentum at Issue 50, the current values of 1-10 will be higher.   I only care about the A covers.  But what absolutely baffles me is the insane number of variants, limited this, limited that.  I can see those crashing a lot.  And I'm with @Wolverinex, I think those Issue 1 Frison covers are an absolute steal at about $300 each.  I think buying 10 for $3K could someday be a big payday.

On 11/20/2021 at 4:44 PM, BladeTX said:

I feel like if this has the same momentum at Issue 50, the current values of 1-10 will be higher.   I only care about the A covers.  But what absolutely baffles me is the insane number of variants, limited this, limited that.  I can see those crashing a lot.  And I'm with @Wolverinex, I think those Issue 1 Frison covers are an absolute steal at about $300 each.  I think buying 10 for $3K could someday be a big payday.

Big thumbs up.  Love that cover.  

On 11/20/2021 at 2:44 PM, BladeTX said:

Speaking of that Frison cover, the color splash and foil variants are both limited to 300 and go for ~$700 in 9.8 - those seem like relative bargains.

On 11/11/2021 at 11:15 AM, Wolverinex said:

Sweet, that hardcover is pretty rare, no?

Glad you guys are enjoying the recommendation.  I've been slowly accumulating the Issue 1 Frison... one of my favorite covers and surely to bound up once the Netflix show comes out

Check this guy out….

F0C8F08E-8EEE-42AB-8CA9-ADD6A11960D6.jpeg

On 11/17/2021 at 10:05 PM, Turnando said:

I would not bet on it.

Well looks like Boom is cashing in.  In addition to a regular hardcover version launched a couple of weeks ago, they have also launched a second print of the "limited slip cover edition".  Jump on one soon if you are interested.  I wonder how that will affect the high prices for the first print slipcover book.  I can't see it staying as high when collectors can have essentially the same thing for 1/2 of market price.

***Updated to say.. you are correct, Boom is really weird.  They are taking pre-orders on the second print with a release date of JULY 15, 2022.  What the heck - baffling.

Edited by BladeTX
New info

On 12/1/2021 at 9:16 AM, BladeTX said:

They are taking pre-orders on the second print with a release date of JULY 15, 2022.  What the heck - baffling.

I'm not seeing any listing for Planet of the Apes Archive Vol. 1 on Boom Studio's website.  Maybe you saw the Planet of the Apes Omnibus?

If they really are reprinting Archive Vol. 1 could you throw a link on here? Their website is atrocious, maybe because I use a phone to browse it.  I've searched and dug everywhere on their site and I've got zilch.

On 12/1/2021 at 10:41 PM, Turnando said:

I'm not seeing any listing for Planet of the Apes Archive Vol. 1 on Boom Studio's website.  Maybe you saw the Planet of the Apes Omnibus?

If they really are reprinting Archive Vol. 1 could you throw a link on here? Their website is atrocious, maybe because I use a phone to browse it.  I've searched and dug everywhere on their site and I've got zilch.

Sorry I was referring to your comment not to bet on it.  Boom is releasing a SiKtC Deluxe Hardcover with Slipcase second print.

On 12/2/2021 at 8:03 AM, BladeTX said:

My first crack out!! Damn was that nerve wracking.   Off tomorrow for a triple signing Frison / Tynion / Dell’etera.  Likely won’t see this again for a very long time 😂

9312F7D1-A2E3-487D-AF4C-63EEE09BCED8.jpeg

Nice job on the cracking of the slab.  Looks like you are a pro.  I need to do the same, not for signing, but for press/clean.  Also where is the signing you mentioned?  Who is hosting?

On 12/2/2021 at 7:32 AM, waynemel said:

Nice job on the cracking of the slab.  Looks like you are a pro.  I need to do the same, not for signing, but for press/clean.  Also where is the signing you mentioned?  Who is hosting?

Well it was totally DIY - I watched a YouTube video.  It was surprisingly easy, though opening the inner well required using a box cutter about 1/8" from the book 😱.  Even though there is a raised edge that keeps the blade away, it's a pucker factor moment for my first attempt.

The signings are through Nocturnal Rabbit.  I saw a thread where everyone was super complimentary about them, so feels like I can trust them to do the job right. Here is the link:
https://nocturnalrabbit.com/pages/1-7-multiple-signings

On 12/2/2021 at 12:59 PM, Wolverinex said:

Great job.  Need to pick up another copy.  Such a wonderful cover.

There are so many great variant covers of later issues too. I keep picking them up. Not likely to ever be worth much more than what I paid for them, but I just love the art.