• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let’s discuss Frenz Sinnott Thor Art drop 8.17 What the heck happened?????
1 1

44 posts in this topic

Looking for a few solid citizens to fill in some blanks here. Yesterday at Catskill Comics the promise of a new Ron Frenz Thor Art drop 12 pm est had some collectors excited.

I did not participate but checking the website I saw no images of the offered pages or items marked sold. On Facebook I saw comments that suggested they went so fast (5 minutes) or that people never even saw what was offered.

• what pages were offered ?

• any asking prices for the benefit of the market

• did anyone win a page

• Scott why take them down? Or are they on Facebook but not Catskill Comics. Even sold pages he usually leaves them for awhile

On 8/18/2021 at 10:08 AM, Twanj said:

Wow those are great pages!

I had no idea there were more on sale a week later & I try to pay attention to the Frenz stuff.

Yeah, I was able to decide really quickly. Scott Kress actually described them as:

”Catskill Comics:
Frenz & Sinnott Thor Art Drop Tues. Aug 17th @ 12pm EST with new Frenz & Sinnott Thor interior pages. These are pages a lot of people have been asking for including 2 splash pages.”

So, it sounds like this drop was based on popular requests, and the kind Mr Frenz relenting. 

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1741857

Recently, I had a guy ask me to sell him my Thor #385 cover by Frenz (link above) and I told him it was not for sale but I’ll sell just about anything for the right price. I let him know that price would be very high. I also told him the amount of the last offer I’d turned down, which was pretty aggressive by the collector - just to let him know it would take a crazy-high amount to pry it from my collection. He sent me a reply that said he was surprised that Frenz covers were selling so high and that he wouldn’t offer anywhere near that for it. So, if prices were that high on these pages in the Catskill art drop, the amount it would take to get my Frenz cover from me just doubled. (It really isn’t for sale except for crazy-CRAZY-high money because I really do like the cover a lot.)

On 8/18/2021 at 1:25 PM, Michael Browning said:

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1741857

Recently, I had a guy ask me to sell him my Thor #385 cover by Frenz (link above) and I told him it was not for sale but I’ll sell just about anything for the right price. I let him know that price would be very high. I also told him the amount of the last offer I’d turned down, which was pretty aggressive by the collector - just to let him know it would take a crazy-high amount to pry it from my collection. He sent me a reply that said he was surprised that Frenz covers were selling so high and that he wouldn’t offer anywhere near that for it. So, if prices were that high on these pages in the Catskill art drop, the amount it would take to get my Frenz cover from me just doubled. (It really isn’t for sale except for crazy-CRAZY-high money because I really do like the cover a lot.)

Another awesome Frenz cover. If it was priced like the one Twanj posted, I’d imagine it would go quickly, too.

Based on that cover sale from PPA, and how quickly these great pages sold, if the general “formula” of a cover being worth 2x A splashes, and a great splash being worth 2 A pages (found it in a thread here while searching how to price), then the art drop was priced to sell quickly, imo. I certainly have no qualms about how much I paid. The FF in action, negative zone, Baxter building, a Yancy Street mention, and great, full-body Thor, Frenz/Sinnott? I pounced. The other two were sold while I was thinking for a second.

On 8/18/2021 at 4:55 PM, Latverian Tourism Board said:

Another awesome Frenz cover. If it was priced like the one Twanj posted, I’d imagine it would go quickly, too.

Based on that cover sale from PPA, and how quickly these great pages sold, if the general “formula” of a cover being worth 2x A splashes, and a great splash being worth 2 A pages (found it in a thread here while searching how to price), then the art drop was priced to sell quickly, imo. I certainly have no qualms about how much I paid. The FF in action, negative zone, Baxter building, a Yancy Street mention, and great, full-body Thor, Frenz/Sinnott? I pounced. The other two were sold while I was thinking for a second.

I don’t want to sell it and have never wanted to sell it nor is it advertised on CAF as being for sale, but the collector who reached out to me to ask me to sell it acted shocked that Frenz covers or any kind would sell as high as the price that had been offered to me. If I would ever consider selling it, it would take a huge amount of cash (again, it’s NFS), an amount so large that makes it unattainable which was my point, so I wouldn’t even take triple what the other cover sold for.

On 8/18/2021 at 2:20 PM, Michael Browning said:

I don’t want to sell it and have never wanted to sell it nor is it advertised on CAF as being for sale, but the collector who reached out to me to ask me to sell it acted shocked that Frenz covers or any kind would sell as high as the price that had been offered to me. If I would ever consider selling it, it would take a huge amount of cash (again, it’s NFS), an amount so large that makes it unattainable which was my point, so I wouldn’t even take triple what the other cover sold for.

100% understood. I would just say no, and leave it at that. In this market, someone might say “ok,” and then the crying sale begins…

I wouldn’t even entertain crazy prices if I owned that one. 

On 8/18/2021 at 2:54 PM, Bill C said:

Well if the two splashes and two panel pages sold within literal seconds, and then the cover also sold very fast, then we know high level examples like those are maybe being sold at least 25% too cheap? Maybe I'm being too conservative in that estimate.

I’m no expert, but I’d agree with that. Maybe even a smidge more? These were all really high quality, though, so there is an “omgomgomg” factor, too, imo. It might have sold just as quickly with another grand on top.

Edited by Latverian Tourism Board