• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nintendo Power, Volumes 1-50 Unopened

5 posts in this topic

What if you had a time capsule with the first 50 issues of Nintendo Power, never opened? 

Would you break them out and slab them individually? Would you try to sell them as an intact single item? How would you appraise a collection like that without appraising and slabbing each individual volume? 

# What I have:

- Never opened, Nintendo Power Issues 1-50 in an official shipping box from Nintendo

- The original packing slip

- The original invoice 

- The Nintendo Power Index for volumes 1-50 also unopened 

# The Story 

In the late 80s early 90s, Nintendo mailed out an advertisement to their few but loyal Nintendo Power magazine subscribers. The offer was simple. "Does your kid constantly have copies of Nintendo Power Magazine spread out on his floor? Has he ripped out the jelly-smeared maps and guides and taped them to his wall? Why not buy a fresh/backup copy of issues 1-50 at a discount price?" 

My mom apparently ordered this bundle, and never told me. 30 years later, I still have them, never opened. The pages still have that new magazine smell and crisp clean sound. 

On 8/19/2021 at 8:40 AM, Groucho713 said:

What if you had a time capsule with the first 50 issues of Nintendo Power, never opened? 

Would you break them out and slab them individually? Would you try to sell them as an intact single item? How would you appraise a collection like that without appraising and slabbing each individual volume? 

# What I have:

- Never opened, Nintendo Power Issues 1-50 in an official shipping box from Nintendo

- The original packing slip

- The original invoice 

- The Nintendo Power Index for volumes 1-50 also unopened 

# The Story 

In the late 80s early 90s, Nintendo mailed out an advertisement to their few but loyal Nintendo Power magazine subscribers. The offer was simple. "Does your kid constantly have copies of Nintendo Power Magazine spread out on his floor? Has he ripped out the jelly-smeared maps and guides and taped them to his wall? Why not buy a fresh/backup copy of issues 1-50 at a discount price?" 

My mom apparently ordered this bundle, and never told me. 30 years later, I still have them, never opened. The pages still have that new magazine smell and crisp clean sound. 

@Groucho713 welcome to the boards!

It may be too early to tell, personally I'd like them slabbed as I'm currently collecting the 1st #1-15, but the bundle is cool. If you're curious as to value, then eventually put a high bin on Ebay with best offer and just see what kinds of offers you get.... idk it's a thought.

I dont have bundles and wouldnt know how to price it, but maybe a more experienced board member could tag someone or have 1st hand knowledge.

The only added thought that I have is, someone who seeks this kind of item, would pay the price offered I think...

So I wouldnt do an auction per se, as limited views and someone trying to score it cheap imo only

But if they're in decent grade or however the bundle is kept together, be it wrap or rubber band, you might have some high grades, or at the very least a memory and the item to go with it that a nostalgic person may pay up for :tink: 

I understand you may not be looking to sell, and only looking for posterity. I'd keep it in the bundle until other factors value grade collection preferences become more apparent  :)