• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was there an "Edgar Church" for pulps?

36 posts in this topic

Was there somebody who saved thousands of pulps in a low-humidity closet, whose collection was discovered and purchased decades later? Hundreds of pulps with "white pages"?

Or at least a "Recil Mason" of pulps?

If I recall, Church himself had some pulps, but they were not stored as well as the comics, or were otherwise unexceptional.

The Yakima Pedigree is considered one of the top collections. 

"A large pulp magazine collection was discovered in Yakima, Washington in the late 1990s. These pulps are characterized by their uniform high grade and bright white paper quality. In many cases the Yakima Copy is the highest grade copy known to exist of a particular pulp magazine issue. "

e2d042fbaad80c1af63e935f0c0b9992-800~2.jpg

Edited by Northwest

On 8/19/2021 at 8:10 PM, Sarg said:

Was there somebody who saved thousands of pulps in a low-humidity closet, whose collection was discovered and purchased decades later? Hundreds of pulps with "white pages"?

Or at least a "Recil Mason" of pulps?

If I recall, Church himself had some pulps, but they were not stored as well as the comics, or were otherwise unexceptional.

Here is one from the Yakima books with snow white paper (thumbsu

wonder2_zps35aa31dc.jpg

On 8/20/2021 at 11:01 AM, Robot Man said:

Not sure if they all come with certificates. Dave Smith did them for the ones he got but some went to other purchasers I believe. I believe they have markings. Nicest pages overall on any pulps I've seen. 

@Ricksneatstuff has a bunch of them I believe. 

pulpdimemystery3:43yakima1.jpg

pulpdimemystery3:43yakima2.jpg

pulpdimemystery5:45yakima1.jpg

pulpdimemystery5:45yakima2.jpg

I wish I had many more. I only have around a dozen or so now. 

My memory is weak these days, but I seem to remember Dwight sharing info about pedigree and other high grade Pulp piles .... somewhere around the halfway mark of the original thread...it's titled something like "Sell Me All Your Pulps and go Pound Sand"  ... or something like that. I seem to remember beginning around page 240 something ... but I'm hazy. GOD BLES...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

Problem with the Yakima pedigree is we (to the best of my knowledge) don't know who the original owner was.  Story I got from the original purchaser of the collection was that a couple of guys showed up with milk crates of the pulps they pulled from a storage locker, which he then sold to the guy from Seattle.  

I believe some of the Yakima’s were sold to someone other than Dave Smith at Fantasy Illustrated. Thusly, sold out in the marketplace with no certificates. 

I only have the two above I bought directly from Dave very inexpensive just because I liked the covers. 

I was told that there are markings on them but don’t recall any on these two. 

On 8/21/2021 at 9:29 AM, Robot Man said:

I believe some of the Yakima’s were sold to someone other than Dave Smith at Fantasy Illustrated. Thusly, sold out in the marketplace with no certificates. 

I only have the two above I bought directly from Dave very inexpensive just because I liked the covers. 

I was told that there are markings on them but don’t recall any on these two. 

There were a number of Yakima’s sold the different people by different members of the family.

On 8/21/2021 at 6:58 AM, Sarg said:

So basically, we know the Yakima collection by name because it surfaced during the "pedigree" era?

Are Yakima and Popular the only pulp "pedigrees"?

Popular file Copies are not a pedigree.

There is one Pedigree that is much earlier, more prominent, and can be identified easier.  At some point in the future I will talk about it.

Edited by detective35

On 8/20/2021 at 4:31 PM, waaaghboss said:

Problem with the Yakima pedigree is we (to the best of my knowledge) don't know who the original owner was.  Story I got from the original purchaser of the collection was that a couple of guys showed up with milk crates of the pulps they pulled from a storage locker, which he then sold to the guy from Seattle.  

Yakima Pedigree came from a family in which the family members started to just go in and take a large quantities and start selling them.

A chunk of them went to a local bookstore (later one’s), and then or sold to Dave Smith.

A couple boxes of them did show up at eight comic show but basically the family was selling them the different sources outside of that as well.

On 8/21/2021 at 1:32 AM, detective35 said:

CHURCH

One important note to remember is that there were Pulps at one time in the church Collection,  but Edgar Church ripped off all the covers, keeping only the covers and not the interiors, as they probably took up too much space

Dwight

Thank God he didn't do that for the comics! However, if he'd had a bigger house, perhaps he could have saved everything intact. 

On 8/22/2021 at 12:28 AM, detective35 said:

Popular file Copies are not a pedigree.

There is one Pedigree that is much earlier, more prominent, and can be identified easier.  At some point in the future I will talk about it.

The mysterious “Strausser collection”?...hm