• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can cover art be a first appearance through CGC?
2 2

20 posts in this topic

I was curious because I saw that Ratcatcher 2 has not been canonized in comic form yet (just the suicide squad film). DC has started to release artwork variant covers to promote the film which contain the character. If submitted would CGC consider it a first appearance. Someone brought up Gwenpool similarities. Thanks for your input.

On 8/20/2021 at 2:53 PM, shadroch said:

Is there an example of a character appearing on a cover, but a different, later book is considered their first appearance?

Gwenpool is the obvious one. Howard the Duck (2016) #1 is "1st appearance of Gwenpool (Gwen Poole)." The earlier Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars #2 Bachalo Variant Cover instead says: "Gwenpool cover. Predates Hoard the Duck #1 (1/16)."

I want to say there are at least one or two others like this but they're not coming to mind immediately.

On 8/20/2021 at 3:53 PM, shadroch said:

Is there an example of a character appearing on a cover, but a different, later book is considered their first appearance?

Ultimate Venom.

First appears on the cover of Ultimate Spider-Man 33. (No notation by CGC).  First full appearance of Ultimate Venom is later noted on Ultimate Spider-Man 35.

20210821_185409.jpg

20210821_185340.jpg

An interesting question. Action Comics #1 - 1st appearance of Superman has the cover reproduced (showing Superman) in Detective Comics #15.

Action Comics #1 has a cover date of June 1938 and, according to Grand Comics Database, an on-sale date of April 18, 1938. 

But Detective Comics #15 has a cover date of May 1938 and, according to Grand Comics Database, an on-sale date or April 10, 1938, pre-dating Action #1 by 8 days with its on-sale date and a month on its cover date.

Would this be considered the first appearance of Superman? hm

Here is the ad:

tec 15 ad for action 1.png

Can the costume only count as a first appearance if it makes no mention of the character who wears it?  Like Gwenpool, Spidergwen had a tiny bit of controversy about her first appearance because the costume made an appearance in a book before Edge of Spider-verse.  Said appearance was explained by the writer that it's a cosplayer wearing the Spidergwen costume not the actual character.

I thought both the TMNT and The Crow only first "appeared" on the back cover of books.

Those books being: Gobbledeygook # 1; and

Deadworld # 10.

But they're technically both ads (ditto with the Action # 1 ad mentioned above).

Sort of how I don't count Malibu Sun # 15 or whatever as the first appearance of Spawn - it's basically an ad for the forthcoming book, a la Previews.

On 8/20/2021 at 11:25 PM, Qalyar said:

Gwenpool is the obvious one. Howard the Duck (2016) #1 is "1st appearance of Gwenpool (Gwen Poole)." The earlier Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars #2 Bachalo Variant Cover instead says: "Gwenpool cover. Predates Hoard the Duck #1 (1/16)."

I want to say there are at least one or two others like this but they're not coming to mind immediately.

Not the same character, the Gwenpool on Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars #2 was Gwen Stacy.

See:

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Gwendolyn_Poole_(Earth-TRN565)#Trivia

Key words that are implied with first appearance: “in continuity.” Covers, ads = images. But they are not the character’s first participation in the comic book fictional universe that they are a part of.

That does NOT mean there’s no love/no place for collecting these preview ad type appearances, just a distinction between first printed image and first participation in their comic book world, which seems to me to be the longstanding reader-based definition of a first appearance.

But there’s room to collect and love and value it all for its coolness. (Kind of neat to see a character teased in print before they are available to read in action.) Marvel did this often in the Bronze Age with character images appearing with a hype blurb on the “Bullpen Bulletins” page. Off the top of my head, I remember seeing Ikaris from the Eternals, and Omega the Unknown before those books came out. 

On 1/7/2023 at 9:57 AM, Hutch88 said:

Dime Press #4 Hellboy only appears on the cover. Then in a one page black and white preview. (San Diego Comic Con #2) Then colored first appearance in Next Men 21. Cool to have all three...

SDCC #2 is a full, 4-page Hellboy story…

02DACD3A-39DF-4227-B62F-1CB943CE90E5.jpeg

On 1/13/2023 at 4:47 PM, Hutch88 said:

This is correct, thank you @AGGIEZ!:tonofbricks:

SDCC #2 is essentially a pamphlet, so it's more of a preview. On the last page of the story, it says "coming in 1994". It's supposed to serve as an ad for Hellboy: Seed of Destruction #1.

Imo, SDCC #2 is to Hellboy, what Sentai #2 is to the Power Rangers.