• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulp sales discussion thread
6 6

369 posts in this topic

On 4/28/2022 at 9:31 AM, htp said:

Don't suppose anyone here picked up the 1930 Astounding set that sold by the same seller? I thought the starting price was a bit high, but now I regret not going for it...

I thought the same thing - I assumed a number of lots would go unsold but....I was wrong!

Could also be the lack of the normal eBay shill bidding that drives up low priced lots 6 days before they end. In that sense it was refreshing and I'm happy for the buyer and seller (wasn't me)!

Screenshot_20220429-084026_eBay.thumb.jpg.547631b8d2850a96aabc75c228ef0ae7.jpg

I'm curious about this one, does anyone know what it is?  Bookery guide mentions some issues after the ginger run with a different font that might have been reprints or knockoffs, which I'm guessing the cover is, but the guts are la paree.  It doesn't look like the cover was married, and the style and numbering of the splash page doesn't seem to fit in with other la paree styles. Spent a while googling and count find anything related to this.  Sadly I set my alarm wrong and missed auction, but am still curious about the book.

On 4/29/2022 at 8:44 AM, waaaghboss said:

Screenshot_20220429-084026_eBay.thumb.jpg.547631b8d2850a96aabc75c228ef0ae7.jpg

I'm curious about this one, does anyone know what it is?  Bookery guide mentions some issues after the ginger run with a different font that might have been reprints or knockoffs, which I'm guessing the cover is, but the guts are la paree.  It doesn't look like the cover was married, and the style and numbering of the splash page doesn't seem to fit in with other la paree styles. Spent a while googling and count find anything related to this.  Sadly I set my alarm wrong and missed auction, but am still curious about the book.

I passed on bidding, I didn't like the big stain. It seems like there are a few of these late 30s girlie mags that have different logos and numbering from the main series, I think often after the main series ceased publishing. Were Irwin Publications (La Paree) and Edmar/Nudeal (Ginger) related companies?

On 4/29/2022 at 11:45 AM, rjpb said:

I passed on bidding, I didn't like the big stain. It seems like there are a few of these late 30s girlie mags that have different logos and numbering from the main series, I think often after the main series ceased publishing. Were Irwin Publications (La Paree) and Edmar/Nudeal (Ginger) related companies?

Yah the stain was another issue, good eye. 

On 5/21/2022 at 4:58 AM, waaaghboss said:

Lota really nice books coming up on HA in 3 weeks.  Be curious to see where the 1st doc savage and flash gordon end up at.  Going to try and get a couple detective books myself.

28.8K on the fairly worn Doc Savage #1

On 6/9/2022 at 5:11 PM, Surfing Alien said:

I'm seeing some healthy prices. But don't know enough to comment on all of it. This one is $60 in Bookery's guide. Too low?

Screenshot_20220609-200620_Chrome.thumb.jpg.eb57de7626223042606c9d9a9ae0085a.jpg

Yah some really healthy prices on a lot of books.  Even more common books are going for some interesting prices.  A vg dime mystery from 1948 went for 260!  I understand F copies of older books getting going for well above guide, but there's a copy of that dime mystery up on ebay in the same condition for half the price.  I was hanging around to try and pick up some of the weird tales, but wow! :ohnoez:

On 6/9/2022 at 8:18 PM, waaaghboss said:

Yah some really healthy prices on a lot of books.  Even more common books are going for some interesting prices.  A vg dime mystery from 1948 went for 260!  I understand F copies of older books getting going for well above guide, but there's a copy of that dime mystery up on ebay in the same condition for half the price.  I was hanging around to try and pick up some of the weird tales, but wow! :ohnoez:

Yeah, I have a thrill bid on one WT that I really want but otherwise glad I picked up some nice pulps over the last couple of years. My opportunities have narrowed considerably :cry:

On 6/9/2022 at 5:24 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Yeah, I have a thrill bid on one WT that I really want but otherwise glad I picked up some nice pulps over the last couple of years. My opportunities have narrowed considerably :cry:

Yah, I have the HB on one of the conan covers, and was thinking of trying for some Brundages, but watching these auctions roll by I'm thinking they'll go well above what I was planning on :(  

On 6/9/2022 at 8:33 PM, Northwest said:

It was also restored. Certainly a nice result. 

I don't know the market for the beautiful Doc Savage comic #1 from 1940 but can't imagine it fetching this kind of condition price, even in this crazy time. Maybe a real reversal/distinction for the pulp/comic dynamic?

On 6/9/2022 at 6:49 PM, Surfing Alien said:

I don't know the market for the beautiful Doc Savage comic #1 from 1940 but can't imagine it fetching this kind of condition price, even in this crazy time. Maybe a real reversal/distinction for the pulp/comic dynamic?

A potential reason: 

On 6/9/2022 at 9:51 PM, Northwest said:

A potential reason: 

I was talking specifically between The Doc Savage pulp/comic in particular. Everyone knows about the grading coming up but I wonder why in this particular issue. I don't know about the relative scarcity of this issue and GA comics usually far outstrip early pulps but I guess Doc, Tarzan and Shadow outstrip their comics, which have languished, relatively to Super Hero's, Pre-Code and some other Genres (shrug)

On 6/9/2022 at 7:07 PM, Surfing Alien said:

I was talking specifically between The Doc Savage pulp/comic in particular. Everyone knows about the grading coming up but I wonder why in this particular issue. I don't know about the relative scarcity of this issue and GA comics usually far outstrip early pulps but I guess Doc, Tarzan and Shadow outstrip their comics, which have languished, relatively to Super Hero's, Pre-Code and some other Genres (shrug)

I think it's for a few reasons.  The characters first appeared in pulps several years before the comics.  If you're picking one or the other, the pulps are enough like comics that there's probably more crossover to the pulps than there would be for other characters.  And from everything I've heard the early Shadow and Doc Savage comics just weren't that good, and the Tarzans were strip reprints.  So there's not that much driving them compared to other first comic appearances.