• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulp sales discussion thread
5 5

357 posts in this topic

On 9/1/2021 at 7:07 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Anybody else get the email that ComicConnect is going on a buying spree at Windy City? Looks like the big guns are coming for the pulps. Hope they don't hoover up everything and leave some scraps for the little folk...

On 9/1/2021 at 7:13 PM, OtherEric said:

I got the email, quote screwed up for some reason.  It’s just going to get harder to find good pulps at good prices very quickly 

I started getting into pulps as GA comic prices soared.   Now I need to find something else to start collecting.  

Are pogs still a thing? 

Just a couple books I was trying for on ebay and their final realized prices.  

Two bidders brought this from 100 to 410 in the final minutes of bidding.  I dropped out below 80.  Sharp copy, healthy price.  Bookery has this slightly higher than the run issues around it, bondage cover.

123.thumb.jpg.0cfaea97f8290f1e03ae75220b6997f1.jpg

I couldn't find much information about this book, might not technically be a pulp I guess.  Seems to not have a square spine, but stapled like a comic.  Short run of 2 or so issues.  Ended at 561.

123.thumb.jpg.f3322ed12bf98662f0b4b4e6775108d4.jpg

This shadow went for 150.  It's interesting to look at the bid histories to kind of get a feel of how many people are pushing the price.  A number of pulp auctions seem to have 2-3 bidders for most of the price increase.  

123.jpg.d9e98e2eae0f2f1f932ea0114c1a97f2.jpg

Blissard has a number of pulps ending on Monday, mostly lower to mid grade.  Curious how those will end, as his auctions tend to get a lot of eyes.  One of the pulps I'm thinking of trying for already has 20 watchers :(

On 9/25/2021 at 12:24 PM, waaaghboss said:

This shadow went for 150.  It's interesting to look at the bid histories to kind of get a feel of how many people are pushing the price.  A number of pulp auctions seem to have 2-3 bidders for most of the price increase.  

123.jpg.d9e98e2eae0f2f1f932ea0114c1a97f2.jpg

Blissard has a number of pulps ending on Monday, mostly lower to mid grade.  Curious how those will end, as his auctions tend to get a lot of eyes.  One of the pulps I'm thinking of trying for already has 20 watchers :(

You could do worse than that issue as an alternative if you've given up on the Black Hush cover.

On 9/29/2021 at 12:05 PM, rjpb said:

It probably would have gone for more in that condition if the cover wasn't recycled from an issue of Saucy Movie Tales.

I too had those 3 in my watch list along with the Spicy Adventures Octopus cover and the butcher Spider cover. I was way outbid on the Spider and underbidder on the Spicy... makes me wonder... I put a healthy bid on that one and was still outbid.

On 10/4/2021 at 8:45 AM, Robot Man said:

Saw these 3 at a get together on Saturday. They were all priced at around $200. each. I had already blew my budget when I saw them. Was real tempted on that Dime Detective. Don’t know it that was a fair price but considering what price that cover would be if it was a comic, I suspect yes. 

C15C8E6C-2012-42C6-852A-F151B2FEBF62.jpeg

That broad took those throat scissors like a champ.

On 10/12/2021 at 2:09 PM, htp said:

I didn't want to jinx it by saying anything until I actually had these in my hands, but I somehow won two pulps. I'm in Canada and couldn't justify the trip, but I also couldn't resist trying to throw a few bids in from here and John kindly made it happen. I wasn't expecting to win any, I really just bid because I thought if they somehow sell for less than what I bid, I would forever kick myself for not trying (and maybe everyone's too focused on the bat girl cover). Anyway... managed to get both of these comfortably within my 3-digit budget, including BP and international shipping.

#1 Unknown - not rare, but uncommon in nice condition. I've been holding out for one like this for a long time:

DSC_0034.thumb.JPG.e8687d293daf71e5728911281feee768.JPG

Weird Tales, August 1929 - that possible file copy of Howard's Shadow Kingdom. The trimming is unfortunate, but it's beautiful otherwise.DSC_0031.thumb.JPG.417d4531deb8dcd0e567ab8665fda431.JPG

Congratulations on both the pickups.  I've got a copy of the Unknown, but it's a fairly low grade one.  Not that I regret the $20 or so I spent on it, a price that I doubt will ever be seen again on that book...

On 10/13/2021 at 5:27 AM, waaaghboss said:

Can I ask if you guys with more experience have noticed an increase in the price of pulps over the last couple of years?

Yes, there have been large increases in high-grade, keys, first appearances, classic covers, and important stories or authors (like HPL).  But not much change in your average low grade pulp.

On 10/13/2021 at 7:36 AM, RedFury said:

Yes, there have been large increases in high-grade, keys, first appearances, classic covers, and important stories or authors (like HPL).  But not much change in your average low grade pulp.

I would even say some titles are experiencing run-wide jumps with non-key issues.  Weird Tales and Planet Stories, for instance.  And even at the low end you're less likely to find underpriced books like you used to.  But a generic western issue won't have moved much, for instance.