• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulp sales discussion thread
6 6

369 posts in this topic

On 12/14/2021 at 5:22 PM, waaaghboss said:

I got 5 really rough spicy western stories for 8 bucks :takeit:

Did you pay for shipping already? I ended up winning two Astounding issues for under $200 total, and shipping starts at $215 for FedEx ground...for two magazines. I've been gouged on shipping before, but this is something else.

Edited by htp

On 12/15/2021 at 7:50 AM, htp said:

Did you pay for shipping already? I ended up winning two Astounding issues for under $200 total, and shipping starts at $215 for FedEx ground...for two magazines. I've been gouged on shipping before, but this is something else.

Not yet, I also won a single issue and was going to try some best offers on some of the pulps they have listed.  

On 12/14/2021 at 9:52 PM, Joshua33 said:

Not to contradict, but this copy (listed as Vg/F) which is at best a VG in my opinion, did 12k INCLUDING the buyer premium. The other copy was RESTORED and did under 6k, so there wasn't an undercopy, per se'. In my opinion, this was great marketing. This book is a highly desirable pulp to be sure.

However, the numbers it has attained (solely at Metropolis auctions) leads me to a STIFF pause. I do feel like when people say "PULPS", this is maybe the first book that pops into my head based on cover prowess. 

But... and this is a big butt. Let's keep in mind... after Metro sold their "VF" copy in Sept. for 18k, an actual VF sold for only 12k at Windy City within 30 days (A VASTLY SUPERIOR BOOK). 

My point is, yes, pulps are currently exploding, but... buyer Beware to whomever is paying these ludicrous prices for a fairly common Weird Tales cover. This is not the Action 1 of pulps. Far from it...

Metro does seem a bit loose on their pulp grading these days, just based on the pictures. perhaps not that big a deal when advertised as a VG, but some of their Fine and better graded pulps I'd be hesitant to bid to the grade, especially when they don't list page quality. 

As to the "Batgirl" Weird Tales, though long an iconic cover that's been highly desirable among collectors, prices like that do give pause, especially when you can still get pretty nice copies of most of Brundage's other covers, including some better than this IMHO, for well under a grand. But when VG copies of some classic cover comics are selling for 10k, books that might have run $500 a decade ago, who knows if these prices will remain seeming outliers. 

On 12/15/2021 at 7:50 AM, htp said:

That doesn't seem right. Shipping should be around $20 for an invoice of that value if you are in the states. 

On 12/16/2021 at 3:48 PM, rjpb said:

That doesn't seem right. Shipping should be around $20 for an invoice of that value if you are in the states. 

Good to know, thank you. I contacted them about it but haven't heard back yet. Canada, but I still wouldn't expect this much.

On 12/16/2021 at 9:07 PM, htp said:

Good to know, thank you. I contacted them about it but haven't heard back yet. Canada, but I still wouldn't expect this much.

Actual shipping cost to Canada is around $22 first class USPS for at least two pounds which should cover two pulps. Even if they throw in a handling charge, it shouldn't be more than $40. 

On 12/29/2021 at 9:47 AM, FoggyNelson said:

Is that some kind of dart in his neck ?. Gruesome cover either way😰

Wasnt sure,, was thinking an ink pen still in the well,, or that old oil can think you sometimes see in old cartoons.  I checked with my mom, who reads tons of old detective fiction, and she instantly said ice pick, so I'll go with that 😄

On 12/28/2021 at 9:54 PM, waaaghboss said:

123.thumb.jpg.30ca90892c5565ed25e77b9afc5dd268.jpg

308 on ebay.  I could have sworn I saw another copy of this book recently, but I searched and searched and cant find it for sale anywhere else atm :(

I was the underbidder at $303, and was positive I was gonna win. Either way, it's a great cover. There was another copy for sale recently, just not in nice enough condition. In my opinion, whomever beat me out on that book, got a good one. I should have bid more... rantrant

On 12/31/2021 at 4:55 PM, OtherEric said:

ComicConnect has announced another pulp auction:

https://www.comicconnect.com/browse/auction/18

Is it just me, or is the grader for CC drunk when it comes to pulps. The Weird Tales Dec. '32, Conan book... let's use that for reference, since it should do well over $10k. Listed by them as Fine Plus. It has 3 GIANT color breaking, dirt filled creases that run from the middle of the top of the cover, to the near middle of the reader edge. It has about 1/4 inch worth of paper missing on the spine, and a taco sauce stain on the back cover... I mean does anybody take these guys seriously anymore?

On 1/1/2022 at 1:04 PM, Joshua33 said:

Is it just me, or is the grader for CC drunk when it comes to pulps. The Weird Tales Dec. '32, Conan book... let's use that for reference, since it should do well over $10k. Listed by them as Fine Plus. It has 3 GIANT color breaking, dirt filled creases that run from the middle of the top of the cover, to the near middle of the reader edge. It has about 1/4 inch worth of paper missing on the spine, and a taco sauce stain on the back cover... I mean does anybody take these guys seriously anymore?

Yeah, I looked at the auction yesterday after I saw Eric's post. I saw that book and just laughed.  It's nowhere near F+.  VG+ maybe.

On 1/1/2022 at 11:37 AM, RedFury said:

Yeah, I looked at the auction yesterday after I saw Eric's post. I saw that book and just laughed.  It's nowhere near F+.  VG+ maybe.

I am novice compared to most of you guys at pulps and pulp grading. The only thing I go off of is the concensus grading of books I've received from long time dealers. Between the stories from reputable sources about Metropolis selling $30,000 plus raw books as unrestored at shows, then not guaranteeing them after they came back restored, and a plethora of raw auction horror stories, it is beyond me why people are blindly paying big dollars for their pulp auction books. Sincerely, no agenda against Metro, but I'd like to see some accountability or guarantees in their business practices with raw books before I give them my money. Gambling with them, if you get a good price on a book seems reasonable, but flat out trusting their grades and buying at record prices seems overly optimistic, given their track record.

Edited by Joshua33
Spell

We will see if and when pulps start getting slabbed if things change, but one of the things that takes a little of the risk factor out of buying raw pulps in less than VG shape is that things like trimming, slightly brittle pages and glue don't appear to hit the value nearly as hard as with golden age books. Even books missing back covers, which would be a PR for a comic, seem to sell for close to the GD price sometimes if the front isn't too ragged, but VG and up, where values start jumping, it's more risky to buy from sellers not known for their grading consistency, attention to page quality, or eye for restoration, especially when back cover images and page quality info aren't included in descriptions, particularly when it comes to trimming, when it's not always obvious or conversely might be assumed when it actually wasn't done post printing.