• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Auctions, Jim Halperin and Market Manipulation
8 8

202 posts in this topic

In the fine art world major dealers and auction houses regularly buy their own pieces to inflate values. They run to the press with stories of huge sales and then sell again a few years later. Total manipulation. Illegal? Sometimes. Unethical? Only if you have ethics, I guess. It's why I stopped collecting fine art despite being on the board of an art museum. 

This has been happening in other collectible arenas for years, but it's just now reached seven figure levels. 

A bunch of people are going to be stuck with some games that are worth a fraction of what they paid. 

On 8/25/2021 at 4:03 PM, COI said:

I'm surprised at some of the reactions here because I wouldn't have thought that seasoned collectors who've been dealing with an entity like CGC for a decade or two were the target audience for a video like this. Maybe I should make a video about pressing to get some viral pearl-clutching action from 500,000 people who have never purchased a slab.

It's cute, that's all I'm saying.

:golfclap:

On 8/25/2021 at 5:21 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
On 8/25/2021 at 4:03 PM, COI said:

I'm surprised that so many around here found the video to be so impactful. And yes, I watched the entire thing. 

That's not a knock on the video; it's a well made, reasonable attempt by someone on the outside of the collectibles market to understand how a freakin' Mario 64 could sell for 7 figures. He presents some interesting facts, asks some interesting questions, and is understandably skeptical. He's also going to be motivated to "expose" more than "understand", which leads to a lot of assumptions and leaps in logic. 

I'm surprised at some of the reactions here because I wouldn't have thought that seasoned collectors who've been dealing with an entity like CGC for a decade or two were the target audience for a video like this. Maybe I should make a video about pressing to get some viral pearl-clutching action from 500,000 people who have never purchased a slab.

It's cute, that's all I'm saying.

What’s it like to be the smartest guy in the room?

COI sent me a PM telling me to answer this for you.

It's awesome. (thumbsu

A Super Mario Bros. 3 ("Bros" right, later production) in WATA 9.2 A+ condition sold last night for $22,800.....a new record for the grade.....and higher than a 9.4 A+ sold for in April.

It looks like the video is working........prices are increasing. lol

On 8/24/2021 at 11:33 AM, Bird said:

I get very frustrated by the classic arcade games as the buttons don't seem to work where I go. Defender was a bust due to the failure of some buttons to register. CC needs to be working well or forget it as the margins for error get small. 

I think the last game I enjoyed as it came out was probably Punch Out. My buddy and I would play that at the bowling alley and have a blast. Then I went to college in 1985 and only occasionally went to the arcade and mostly to play football where you rolled the ball to make the guy run. 

Pinball, Space Invaders, Pacman and Ms Pacman, and Dig Dug were my favorites.  They ate a lot of quarters.

On 8/25/2021 at 9:09 PM, thehumantorch said:

Pinball, Space Invaders, Pacman and Ms Pacman, and Dig Dug were my favorites.  They ate a lot of quarters.

dig dug was groovy

galaga, track and field, tutankyman or whatever it was, centipede/millipede

oh geez, I was pretty good at breakout too! That was a blast! The local sabretts hot dog store had one game and it was breakout and we played and played and played

On 8/25/2021 at 6:56 PM, Domo Arigato said:

A Super Mario Bros. 3 ("Bros" right, later production) in WATA 9.2 A+ condition sold last night for $22,800.....a new record for the grade.....and higher than a 9.4 A+ sold for in April.

It looks like the video is working........prices are increasing. lol

The question is who bought it?hm