• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exposing FRAUD And DECEPTION - A Must Watch!
18 18

1,299 posts in this topic

On 8/27/2021 at 2:06 PM, MatterEaterLad said:

He literally owned THE game at the center of this controversy, knows all the players, was there at the beginning of WATA, and is mentioned in a lot of the news articles. 

And that's irrelevant to this discussion?

Yes. Because the issue at hand - the claims being made in the video and Heritage/Halperin's involvement in these record prices - have nothing to do with Dan selling a game, or Dan's take on the video.

Is this a thread about the video/Heritage/claims of market manipulation, or Dan's opinions? 

Edited by COI

On 8/27/2021 at 2:06 PM, kav said:

There are 2 camps here-

No, there aren't. We can't even agree on what this discussion is about.

Some dude made a 1-hour viral video people are treating as irrefutable evidence of market manipulation, and yet the focus of the thread has shifted to several sentences written by one member, reactively.

I'm in the camp that wants to discuss the actual topic.

On 8/27/2021 at 12:09 PM, COI said:

Yes. Because the issue at hand - the claims being made in the video and Heritage/Halperin's involvement in these record prices - have nothing to do with Dan selling a game, or Dan's take on the video.

Is this a thread about the video/Heritage/claims of market manipulation, or Dan's opinions? 

If he's named in the articles and shows up here and says, "This video that I did not watch is garbage," that's naturally going to get some responses. He put himself and his opinions in this discussion. 

On 8/27/2021 at 2:14 PM, MatterEaterLad said:

If he's named in the articles and shows up here and says, "This video that I did not watch is garbage," that's naturally going to get some responses. He put himself and his opinions in this discussion. 

We're all putting ourselves and our opinions into the discussion, that doesn't/shouldn't change what the discussion is about. I've made this point a dozen times already. Dan's involvement in the hobby has nothing to do with the claims being made, in the same way that the dozens or hundreds of board members here who routinely do business with Heritage would have nothing to do with a discussion about the Promise Collection books being over-graded. 

I can't say it any clearer. 

On 8/27/2021 at 1:11 PM, COI said:

Maybe he shouldn't have reacted so quickly, but we're all guilty of that from time to time. It doesn't change the fact that his involvement of the hobby is irrelevant to this discussion, yet that was the focus for several pages after he stopped commenting.

I wrote two giant posts critiquing the video, and people don't seem too interested in engaging those criticisms. I actually took the time to watch the video, then watched portions of it again to make sure I was clear on the claims he was making, I addressed those claims, with timestamps no less, wrote another giant post about why I think videos like his are a problem, and I got accused of not liking the video because of the guys voice, or some other arbitrary reason.

So I took the opposite route that Dan did with my responses, and it didn't go anywhere. That's what happens when people get entrenched in a view and aren't actually interested in discussing anything.

In fairness, I understand your point of view on it. However some of the things being shared (not by you, but Dan) were not really adding much depth to discussion. They were basically put downs in an attempt to attack the credibility of the video author and Seth. An example is the moldy game issue, which as I commented a few pages back, doesn't divest a grader of the responsibility, or the auctioneer, from disclosing the issue, regardless of whether the it's an old submission. I used the vintage SW comparison of the vinyl cape Jawa, but that wouldn't be really any different from someone posting a NM 9.4 Hulk 181 that had a corner crushed during transit to the seller, and the seller is just motoring ahead trying to rely on the grade rather than doing the right thing and disclosing that the grade on the label, and coming clean on the overall assessment of the condition assigned on the label no longer being valid.

Edited by comicwiz

On 8/27/2021 at 12:18 PM, COI said:

We're all putting ourselves and our opinions into the discussion, that doesn't/shouldn't change what the discussion is about. I've made this point a dozen times already. Dan's involvement in the hobby has nothing to do with the claims being made, in the same way that the dozens or hundreds of board members here who routinely do business with Heritage would have nothing to do with a discussion about the Promise Collection books being over-graded. 

I can't say it any clearer. 

There are people with opinions. Then there are people with opinions and direct involvement. They're called material witnesses. 

On 8/27/2021 at 11:22 AM, MatterEaterLad said:

There are people with opinions. Then there are people with opinions and direct involvement. They're called material witnesses. 

There are two kinds of people-

On 8/27/2021 at 2:14 PM, MatterEaterLad said:

The near exact same thing was happening on Twitter with Eric and Haspel - just banter with no substance, and doing it like pack hounds. Seeing it migrating here was what I was seeing take form, and even if it was predictable, no way to just watch and let that sort of thing slide.

Edited by comicwiz

On 8/27/2021 at 11:28 AM, comicwiz said:

The near exact same thing was happening on Twitter with Eric and Haspel - just banter with no substance, and doing it like pack hounds. Seeing it migrating here was what I was seeing take form, and even if it was predictable, no way to just watch and let that sort of thing slide.

I know this is off the subject but is the web address for finest comics you have listed yours and still good?  I ask because I checked it out and the 9.4 Hulk 181 with white pages at $3300 seems like a sweet deal.

On 8/27/2021 at 2:51 PM, HighRadArt said:

I know this is off the subject but is the web address for finest comics you have listed yours and still good?  I ask because I checked it out and the 9.4 Hulk 181 with white pages at $3300 seems like a sweet deal.

Yes it's and old price and the site no longer allows purchases. I can't say I blame you for asking, I'd buy one in a heartbeat at that price :D

Edited by comicwiz

On 8/27/2021 at 2:22 PM, MatterEaterLad said:

Have you ever consigned or purchased comic books from Heritage? 

Have you ever pressed a comic?

You're a potential material witness to a video I'm making about CGC..

(this is sarcasm, CGC/Blackstone, please don't kill me)

On 8/27/2021 at 12:11 PM, COI said:

Have you ever consigned or purchased comic books from Heritage? 

Have you ever pressed a comic?

You're a potential material witness to a video I'm making about CGC..

(this is sarcasm, CGC/Blackstone, please don't kill me)

Only if your video strongly features a particular book he pressed and consigned to heritage. (thumbsu

Hey guys, anyone want to have a conversation about the "ethics" of social media influencers/content creators who gets to enjoy the benefits of reaching a large audience without having their content filtered through any semblance of editorial rigor, potentially causing harm to any number of people in the process in the age of clickbait, motivated reasoning and hyper-reactivity, or are we only concerned about the ethics of five or six guys purportedly trading games back and forth? 

On 8/27/2021 at 12:25 PM, COI said:

Hey guys, anyone want to have a conversation about the "ethics" of social media influencers/content creators who gets to enjoy the benefits of reaching a large audience without having their content filtered through any semblance of editorial rigor, potentially causing harm to any number of people in the process in the age of clickbait, motivated reasoning and hyper-reactivity, or are we only concerned about the ethics of five or six guys purportedly trading games back and forth? 

This is the "everyone else is doing it" defense.