• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When does "Turnaround Time" kick in?
1 1

27 posts in this topic

Assuming I know the answer, but figured I'd still ask. Does the turnaround time start when my books were delivered to CGC or once they show up in CGC Submission Tracking?

I sent books in that we're delivered to CGC in June, but they just showed up under "My Submissions". Using the Modern 101 day turnaround as an example,  can i expected 101 Days from June or this week?

So I had a package delivered 05/28/21 and it wasn't opened until 07/30/21 two months later. So I am about 75 of the 105 estimated service days. 

So the next part of this I have two other orders that were dropped off in person so no wait to open the box just processed and all scheduled for grading. so these would be 45 days in to the estimated 105 days for service. Now all are modern level except for 4 books they are economy because of the year published.

Just wondering if the books dropped off move any faster than the books that have had to wait two months just to be opened and processed. 

Hopefully not to confusing.

I'm curious about this.  My comics were submitted for walkthrough, were received on July 27, 2021, and have been "in process" ever since.  How does that square with the stated walkthrough turnaround time of 12 days?  

On 9/2/2021 at 5:33 PM, jwsel said:

I'm curious about this.  My comics were submitted for walkthrough, were received on July 27, 2021, and have been "in process" ever since.  How does that square with the stated walkthrough turnaround time of 12 days?  

Hi jwsel, Did you put walk through on the outside of your box? Now I made this mistake myself on one of my first walk through orders. I forgot to write that on the outside of the box and so it sat there for 6 weeks until they finally opened the box. Now if you did write it on the box there is no reason it should not have already been processed. 

On 9/8/2021 at 6:13 AM, cklamer said:

Hi jwsel, Did you put walk through on the outside of your box? Now I made this mistake myself on one of my first walk through orders. I forgot to write that on the outside of the box and so it sat there for 6 weeks until they finally opened the box. Now if you did write it on the box there is no reason it should not have already been processed. 

I dropped my comics off at the CGC stall at a convention in Hollywood in July.  On my submissions page, the three comics are listed separately.  Each was received on 7/27/21 (three days after the con).  The service for each comic says "WALKTHRU" and the status for each is listed as "CCS in Process."  I also received an email recapping my submission.  So I'm pretty sure they were logged, i.e., are past the unboxing stage.

My credit card also was charged for services by CCS on August 11.

Edited by jwsel

On 9/9/2021 at 12:44 AM, jwsel said:

I dropped my comics off at the CGC stall at a convention in Hollywood in July.  On my submissions page, the three comics are listed separately.  Each was received on 7/27/21 (three days after the con).  The service for each comic says "WALKTHRU" and the status for each is listed as "CCS in Process."  I also received an email recapping my submission.  So I'm pretty sure they were logged, i.e., are past the unboxing stage.

My credit card also was charged for services by CCS on August 11.

Okay you requested CCS that makes a difference. I know CCS has been backed up for a while. But that is why you haven't seen any movement because they don't post any updates until it goes in to grading. Good Luck!

Order #: CGC9934623112
Received: 7/30/21
Well they say the turnaround starts when they receive your box. It took two months to even open this box which is about 4 weeks longer than my previous order. So this order was received on 05/28/21 and opened on 07/30/21 so it's been there about 75 days. So it should take another 30 days to get this order returned.

On 9/9/2021 at 10:25 AM, cklamer said:

Okay you requested CCS that makes a difference. I know CCS has been backed up for a while. But that is why you haven't seen any movement because they don't post any updates until it goes in to grading. Good Luck!

That seems to be the case.  I received an explanation from CGC this morning.  Because I also had requested screening and possible pressing, the timeline is 59 days.  

Yeah the Walk Through pressing isn't exactly a fast walk more like a belly crawl with it taking 44 days for that kind of money. I know way too many really good pressing companies that are way quicker and probably better. 

I have to say one order I am really excited about is the following. I paid cover price on all of these books and I have had them all cleaned and pressed.

001       Iron Fist 1 11/75 Marvel Comics
002       Star Wars 107 9/86 Marvel Comics
003       Star Wars 1 7/77 Marvel Comics
004       Amazing Spider-Man 252 5/84 Marvel Comics
005       Incredible Hulk 340 2/88 Marvel Comics
006       Wolverine 1 9/82 Marvel Comics
007      Wolverine 2 12/88 Marvel Comics
008      Wolverine 3 1/89 Marvel Comics
009      Wolverine 4 2/89 Marvel Comics
010       X-Men 95 10/75 Marvel Comics
011      Iron Fist 14 8/77 Marvel Comics
012      Iron Fist 14 8/77 Marvel Comics
013      Savage She-Hulk 1 2/80 Marvel Comics

001      Ghost Rider 2 10/73 Marvel Comics
002     X-Men 41 2/68 Marvel Comics
003     Amazing Spider-Man 74 7/69 Marvel Comics
004     Ghost Rider 1 9/73 Marvel Comics

Well in about 2 weeks I will hit that 105-108 day time frame.

Submission #3891163

Order #: CGC9934623112
Received: 7/30/21

Amazing Spider-Man 344 2/91 Marvel Comics
House of X 1 9/19 Marvel Comics Granov ""Virgin"" Edition
Invincible 1 12/03 Image Comics Limited Edition
Thor 1 12/14 Marvel Comics
Mighty Thor 1 1/16 Marvel Comics Dauterman Variant Cover
Mighty Thor 705 5/18 Marvel Comics Lau ""Virgin"" Edition
DIE!namite 1 2020 Dynamite Entertainment Scorpion Comics Edition B
Vampirella/Dejah Thoris 1 2018 Dynamite Entertainment Variant Cover S
Venom vs. Carnage 1 9/04 Marvel Comics
X-Men: Red 1 4/18 Marvel Comics Unknown Comics Edition

My books are listed as received on 6/23(delivery was obviously before this as well, I believe I paid for 3 day shipping?  I believe that was early may?) so I should be right around the 100 day mark now. Hoping to hear something this coming week.

On 10/5/2021 at 11:50 AM, cklamer said:

I must be losing my mind. Just shipped another order for 12 books out and I have another almost ready to go for 27 more. 

Be nice to get some of what I have there back soon. 

Bold move there.

I've had books with CGC since mid June that currently have 44 day turn around times...

On 10/6/2021 at 1:06 PM, BBURY10 said:

Bold move there.

I've had books with CGC since mid June that currently have 44 day turn around times...

My oldest order was received May 28th. Took two months just to open the box and process the order.

I am about a 7 to 10 days from the 105 day turn around time. I then have two orders that were dropped in person on 07/09/21.

Plus a signature series that was done through one of their associated companies and just waiting for them to turn it around.

Edited by cklamer

On 10/7/2021 at 8:18 AM, cklamer said:

My oldest order was received May 28th. Took two months just to open the box and process the order.

I am about a 7 to 10 days from the 105 day turn around time. I then have two orders that were dropped in person on 07/09/21.

Plus a signature series that was done through one of their associated companies and just waiting for them to turn it around.

same boat here my last order was received in late May as well and my CC was charged a week ago and my status still shows "scheduled for grading" which it's been since the middle of June so who knows when I'll see them. I have around 50 or so more books I want graded but I just can't justify these delays and I'm still under the old cost discount until early next year but it's just a waste at this point. I guess the 75 or so new employees aren't helping speed anything up just yet.

On 10/7/2021 at 10:07 AM, billsid said:

same boat here my last order was received in late May as well and my CC was charged a week ago and my status still shows "scheduled for grading" which it's been since the middle of June so who knows when I'll see them. I have around 50 or so more books I want graded but I just can't justify these delays and I'm still under the old cost discount until early next year but it's just a waste at this point. I guess the 75 or so new employees aren't helping speed anything up just yet.

Yep I understand. but the slow down seems to be the grading process which I can understand. You can't just throw someone in there and hand then someone's valuable books. I am guessing it will probably take a while to train any new employees especially for grading. Even though I have years of grading comics under my belt I am sure I would have to go through a pretty specific training just to make sure everything is done on a consistent level. 

I have already started sending more books. Most go through pressing first then they are hand delivered. But i do have some that I will tell them to look at but probably don't need any pressing. That way all of the books are hand delivered at the same time. But even though it gets processed and billed it does not speed my order with CGC up at all. Right now I have mailed about 20 and I have another almost 30 sitting here ready to go and another 100 sitting at the house.

On 10/8/2021 at 8:26 AM, cklamer said:

Yep I understand. but the slow down seems to be the grading process which I can understand. You can't just throw someone in there and hand then someone's valuable books. I am guessing it will probably take a while to train any new employees especially for grading. Even though I have years of grading comics under my belt I am sure I would have to go through a pretty specific training just to make sure everything is done on a consistent level. 

I have already started sending more books. Most go through pressing first then they are hand delivered. But i do have some that I will tell them to look at but probably don't need any pressing. That way all of the books are hand delivered at the same time. But even though it gets processed and billed it does not speed my order with CGC up at all. Right now I have mailed about 20 and I have another almost 30 sitting here ready to go and another 100 sitting at the house.

I agree that grading a book takes time, but teaching someone to grade just Moderns shouldn't be that difficult. Hell opening a box shouldn't be that difficult either but sitting for 2 months before being touched is absolutely ridiculous. Also I double checked my last submission and it was received the first week in May so I'm at 115/116 days now and I believe the TAT was around 90days when I sent them in so go figure.