• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is THIS were the F.F. market is going?!?

79 posts in this topic

Ha-ha - i just bid again to see what the monkey would do if I poked him with a stick and he has now bid it up to where the next bid will be over $1200! I don't care what one of these sold for previously, that is a bad price. You couldn't even buy one from ComicLink for that much. This guy is a riot - hope we see him bidding on some more books - I know the dealers do!

POV, your example of Lobby cards is not apt in this case. You referring to some movie that no one has ever heard of is an extreme, and is far from comparative to FF and its impact on Marvel silver.

I wasn't actually equating this to an ASM vs FF type thing. I just get excited when someone puts the right stress on Demand.

And see a doctor - being half-waisted sounds really painful! grin.gif

I bet that's it! He must be a movie insider. Who would play Attuma? I would pick someone with a Russian accent since the name sounds Eastern European. I guess hth hasn't seen the new guide - 9.4 is a grand $140! This must be one of those sleeper issues like that Avengers 18 he got the other month with the killer commissar.

Open to the first page and look at the bottom...there's a little paragraph that states the issue number, volume, legal disclaimers, etc, and somewhere near the front of the disclaimer it says something like "Published by " . I'm wondering which company they say "published" it.

Does anybody know what the heck were the "publishers" Marvel referred to? Aman hinted at the possibility that it might be a "shell game for internal bookkeeping." So was the "publisher" a company external to Marvel or not, and if so, what did they do? I hadn't thought about it in depth before; I believe I've been assuming that the "publisher" is who Marvel went through to get the book made. Where the printing actually occurred I assumed was up to the publisher, but I don't really know.

Dunno yet, gotta get in the publisher names for the other issues from that time period (my comics aren't at my house so I can't look until this weekend). We also have to figure out as best we can what a "publisher" really does.

So FF 48 and 49 are Canam, while Spidey 31 and 34 are Non-Pareil. Now that I don't get...Spidey 34 came out AFTER FF 48 I thought. Am I wrong?

I'm still wondering about Spidey 32, 33, and 35, as well as FF 47...I've got all of those unslabbed I can check Friday except Spidey 33 and 35, so if somebody has those two, can you check the publisher please?

Issue 47 of Fantastic Four was also published by Canam. Also, the add featured Issue 33 of Spiderman now on sale. That would mean that 34 was probably on sale when 48 came out. If it was any earlier though, it could have been a week or two only, I suppose. Hope that helps.

Okay. I dont have all the facts so I may be partially correct. But, my understanding of the various "publishers" listed for Marvel titles stemmed from the old postal regulations for mailed periodicals. If you remember the various articles that have been writen over the years about the early years of the "Marvel Age of Comics", (like in CBM) Marvel was limited in the number of titles they were ALLOWED to publish! because of obscure, left -over distributor slots.

As the story goes, Marvel was initially limited to 8 books a month by Natl. Periodicals, who had taken over the rights from Atlas as they imploded. (I know its getting complicated...) This meant that as new titles came out, they couldnt ADD another new book to their monthly schedule--they had to actually CANCEL a book from their roster cause Lebowitz at DC kept the rest of their slots for DC books.

The various publishers' names stemmed from this dilemna somehow. These "publishing' entities were all subsidiaries of "Marvel". They were Marvel Comics, but the names were created as endruns around the limitations, nothing more.

Basically, the names are meaningless except as Marvel bookkeeping organization. They do not imply any split ownership either--they are all Marvel/Cadence/whoever.

Basically, the names are meaningless except as Marvel bookkeeping organization. They do not imply any split ownership either--they are all Marvel/Cadence/whoever.

That is my take as well from memories of the many articles I've read. In my pre-code horror checklist I didn't even BOTHER to put the alternate Atlas publisher names there. Too many! grin.gif

Yep - did you notice that nobody showed up to put in the last minute killer bid? I guarantee you if this guy would have sniped the book, he would have had it around $800 because that is the most I thought it would go for. I have a cgc 9.2 that I bought a long time ago and I think it was around $350! But what the heck, will we ever get to hte bottom of this intriguing Marvel publishing dilemma? And I thought I would go to my grave not knowing why there are more high grade Spidey 33s and FF 48s. Maybe these guys could tackle the Sasquatch debate or crop circles next.

But what the heck, will we ever get to hte bottom of this intriguing Marvel publishing dilemma?
Probably not, unless somebody tells us. I'm sure some long-time dealer knows.