• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you think of bound volumes?

15 posts in this topic

Love them? Hate them? Collect them? How much should a collector pay for them, compared to non-bound issues?

Positives: condition is usually fine, especially on the covers; there is a successive run of issues; they have a great provenance (if they were bound by the publisher). Look great on a bookshelf.

Negatives: severely trimmed on three sides, hopelessly butchering the issues; if sold separately, they would be almost worthless. The spines are also ruined.

I'll attach the 1923-24 Weird Tales bound volumes just to illustrate, probably the ultimate example of a pulp bound volume (I don't think these came from the publisher's office). 

WeirdTales bound volume.jpg

They're not without their appeal, but they're a bit of a niche item, I think.  I'm happy with the one bound volume of Four Color Comics I have, but don't feel the need to seek more out.  The one bound volume of pulps I had was amateurly put together and I disassembled it into its component issues.

A dealer on eBay is selling a bound volume of Everybody's Magazine from 1923 that says "Lincoln City Library" on the spine. 

It hadn't occurred to me that libraries would subscribe to pulps and then go to the trouble of binding them (I do remember bound volumes of Time and Life from libraries when I was young). Everybody's was a respectable, mainstream pulp. I suspect Weird Tales would not have gotten this treatment.

Are library discards the source of most pulp bound volumes? I tend to think not, since they would usually say "discard" on them.

Edited by Sarg
typo

On 9/3/2021 at 6:14 AM, Sarg said:

A dealer on eBay is selling a bound volume of Everybody's Magazine from 1923 that says "Lincoln City Library" on the spine. 

It hadn't occurred to me that libraries would subscribe to pulps and then go to the trouble of binding them (I do remember bound volumes of Time and Life from libraries when I was young). Everybody's was a respectable, mainstream pulp. I suspect Weird Tales would not have gotten this treatment.

Are library discards the source of most pulp bound volumes? I tend to think not, since they would usually say "discard" on them.

Everybody's became a pulp only in December 1926.

I think most bound pulps come from either first generation collectors who wanted them on bookshelves; publishers and staff copies.

Libraries subscribed to pulps but never bound them as far as i know. Disposed of each month with the newspaper more likely.

Never saw a bound volume with a library stamp.Bookplates, yes.

On 9/4/2021 at 1:19 PM, Pulpflakes said:

Everybody's became a pulp only in December 1926.

I think most bound pulps come from either first generation collectors who wanted them on bookshelves; publishers and staff copies.

Libraries subscribed to pulps but never bound them as far as i know. Disposed of each month with the newspaper more likely.

Never saw a bound volume with a library stamp.Bookplates, yes.

Good to know. 

I love them, but I don't really consider them collectible. The prices generally seem to reflect that, which makes them perfect reading copies: cheaper and hold up better. I once passed on a  nice set of bound early Astounding and really regret it, it would've made a great keeper.

All my bound volumes are ex-library copies, but I suspect that's a coincidence and not representative.

On 9/7/2021 at 11:21 AM, htp said:

I love them, but I don't really consider them collectible. The prices generally seem to reflect that, which makes them perfect reading copies: cheaper and hold up better. I once passed on a  nice set of bound early Astounding and really regret it, it would've made a great keeper.

All my bound volumes are ex-library copies, but I suspect that's a coincidence and not representative.

They certainly are collectible. Why would they not be? 
They may not be very expensive, but does a low price mean something is not collectible?