• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need help with a comic I've owned for 20 years
2 2

10 posts in this topic

It's a copy of Spider Man 300 that I recently sold and the buyer (a comic book shop) is trying to tell me it has been restored.  When I sold the comic I disclosed it was not in good shape.  Major flaws are visible water damage on the front cover and crinkling of the pages almost throughout the book.  Also the usual messed up corners, yellow pages, etc.  He is forcing a return on me because he says it has been restored.  I've owned since 2001 and I've never done anything like that plus I cannot think of anybody dumb enough to restore something with obvious water damage.  What he is calling a restoration never bled through to other page.  It just stayed with the ad.  In one picture you can see that ad bled through to the opposite page which I know was fairly common on marvel for many years. What are your thoughts?  Worth putting a slab on it and calling it a day?  

Cover.png

Not sure.png

opposite side.png

Water damage.png

In the photos I see black dots along the spine.  These could indicate touch-ups of black on the spine, front or back cover, that have bled through to the inside of the covers.  Maybe before you owned  it.  Does look a bit suspect.  Not sure it matters due to the other flaws, but not my call.

Yeah, sorry man. That is touch up with a marker that has bled through. Restored. 

Obviously you did not do this. But you did not buy it off the news stand so you have no idea who or how many people owned it before you. Chances are high that given it's condition the person that took a marker to it was not thinking in terms of "restoration". Instead they just wanted their otherwise rough copy to look a bit nicer. 

Edited by Tony S

On 8/25/2021 at 6:17 PM, Vandy58 said:

I cannot think of anybody dumb enough to restore something with obvious water damage.

You're giving folks credit for way more intelligence, good judgment, and/or ethical standards than most actually have.  Very kind of you, but also rather risky if you're trading in ephemera.  The bottom line is that there is no lower limit on the condition grade of comics that have been tinkered with (and color touch may be the most common form of tinkering).

DD-7.thumb.jpg.544920b20c7ccdbd85cc32719a2bd353.jpgIM-1.thumb.jpg.de3a6ff197fa21e943416a96aa733be1.jpg

CGC certification  will generally increase the market value of an ASM #300.  However, certification does have a cost (which includes your shipping fee, CGC fee, return shipping fee, insurance, and the value of your time).  CGC certification has also become a rather lengthy process, and one that unfortunately comes with some risk:sick:

This book is notorious for color-break in the spine. It obviously has been color touched.

Sorry a forced return is happening. I would think a comicbook shop would inspect what they buy, especially big or key books. Whenever I buy a book in person I always ask to look at it. I want to judge it's grade against what price is being asked for it and to look for restoration or hidden defects. The color touch should've been easily caught. Moreover, it is a restoration they should've been wary of with this particular issue.

On 8/25/2021 at 6:17 PM, Vandy58 said:

I cannot think of anybody dumb enough to restore something with obvious water damage. 

If I've said it once on these boards I've said it 20 times - people will "restore" books like this or books with no value like an Amethyst Princess of Gem World #9 for PRACTICE. Someone would have to be not too smart trying to restore a key book without trying out on junk books first!