• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weapon X Comic Signed w/ COA Grading Questions

3 posts in this topic

Hello -

I apologize in advance if this is covered in another post but I did a quick search and didn't find the answers I was looking for, so questions are below.

I'm new to grading and have a Weapon X Age of Apoc comic that is signed that I'd like to send in for grading to protect it. It has a COA with it when I purchased it years ago too. Based on this I'm assuming this comic would be given a green label, correct? Is there an advantage/ disadvantage to getting a green label versus something else? It seems like a huge deal for some people and I guess I'm not understanding why that is the case. 

Also, I found another thread that stated people should not send in COA's with their comics. Is this truly the case? I'm guessing CGC won't recognize the COA officially based on what I've read so far, but is it still possible to have it included in the back of the sealed holder once it is graded? Or is that something that is just not done with situations like this?

Please let me know, any information would be appreciated. I have the photos of the comic attached as well. If this needs to be posted somewhere else, please let me know where as well.

Thank you,

Cryptk5

IMG_5617.JPG

IMG_5618.JPG

1.  You can send in your COA with the comic.  There is no rule against it.  CGC is still happy to take your money and grade your book.

2.  CGC will not consider the COA with regards to grading or the authentication of the signatures involved.

3.  CGC will not slab your book with the COA.  They might mail it back with your graded comic, they might not.  You should not expect to get it back (but you might!).

4.  CGC does not authenticate signatures, and your comic will receive a green qualified label.

5.  In lieu of the green qualified label, you can make a special request (contact CGC to get specifics) to get your comic graded universal (blue), where instead of ignoring the unwitnessed signature, they count the signature as a defect that lowers the grade of the book.

6.  As for which is preferable, green qualified (graded as if the signature isn't there), blue universal (considering the signature as a defect), or leaving it as is, it depends on what your  PERSONAL ultimate collection and/or sales goals are, and to some extent what the book is, what the grade of the book is, and who signed it.  It is a "huge" deal to some people because of the significant difference in financial value between a blue label and green label in SOME cases.

7.  Thankfully, for your specific case that you are presenting, I believe your comic with a green label will have the same value as the lower grade blue label, so its really a matter of personal preference for you.

So if you're considering submitting, do as much research as possible to the extent that data points exist, do your personal math after examining the costs of submission, and make the best decision for your collection and your wallet.

Good luck.