• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official King Spawn Appreciation Thread
1 1

142 posts in this topic

On 9/22/2021 at 5:32 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I did think to say that you can still "request a blue label" and take a hit in grade, but idk

Can you request a blue label that has a sig and numbering on it, though?  I always assumed it would get green if not the yellow label after the COA treatment.  I don't know if I've seen as signed blue label like how blatantly signed these copies are but who knows.

My guess is it's a census error OR some Image employees (as speculated on Facebook) have gotten some of their comp copies graded (assuming those exist but it seems that happens more often than the public would like it to).

249 more 9.8's added to the census (2 more blue labels and 247 yellow labels).  Still only like a third of all the copies total have been sent to CGC (over 1,000 signed copies have yet to be graded).  I'm sure there are plenty at CCS but surely not 1,000.  I wonder what the #'s will be like in another month! :ph34r:

Country/Variant - Variant Cover I
  Grade Universal Qualified Signature Series Restored
See Detail
  Total
Mint   10.0 0 0 0 0   0
Mint   9.9 0 0 0 0   0
Near Mint/Mint   9.8 15 0 570 0   585
Near Mint +   9.6 1 0 68 0   69
Near Mint   9.4 0 0 23 0   23
Near Mint -   9.2 0 0 7 0   7
Very Fine/Near Mint   9.0 0 0 0 0   0
Very Fine +   8.5 0 0 2 0   2
Very Fine   8.0 0 0 0 0   0
Very Fine -   7.5 0 0 0 0   0
Fine/Very Fine   7.0 0 0 0 0   0
Fine +   6.5 0 0 0 0   0
Fine   6.0 0 0 0 0   0
Fine -   5.5 0 0 0 0   0
Very Good/Fine   5.0 0 0 0 0   0
Very Good +   4.5 0 0 0 0   0
Very Good   4.0 0 0 0 0   0
Very Good -   3.5 0 0 0 0   0
Good/Very Good   3.0 0 0 0 0   0
Good +   2.5 0 0 0 0   0
Good   2.0 0 0 0 0   0
Good -   1.8 0 0 0 0   0
Fair/Good   1.5 0 0 0 0   0
Fair   1.0 0 0 0 0   0
Poor   0.5 0 0 0 0   0
../images/pc_reddot.gif
  Total 16 0 670 0   686

Most of the copies should grade 9.8 based on the cover stock and the fact that you could return damaged copies for a replacement. If you submit a copy and receive a grade lower than 9.8, that likely means the book should have been returned for a replacement in the first place.

Edited by kimik

On 9/29/2021 at 1:00 AM, kimik said:

Most of the copies should grade 9.8 based on the cover stock and the fact that you could return damaged copies for a replacement. If you submit a copy and receive a grade lower than 9.8, that likely means the book should have been returned for a replacement in the first place.

I don't disagree with you on what the condition of some of them should have been but to send back a 9.6 level book would have most likely perturbed the Todd-father lol.  I think only if the copies had blatant damage is when they'd accept a replacement and they never did guarantee any 9.8 worthy books as they can't do that (that's just not good business or smart, either).  My two copies looked really good (thankfully) when they arrived raw but I can't say I didn't stress over what they'd look like before I opened them up and inspected them prior to grading.  The only pro graders in this case would be CGC so if they (Image/TM) guaranteed raw 9.8's then that would have cost them a LOT of money in replacement copies as many raw comic graders can't discern the difference in a VF/NM book to a 9.8.  And - sidenote - when you see a raw seller on eBay using the 'NM' designation for virtually any book they sell it's a dead giveaway that they have no clue how to grade.  According to CGC, there is no 'NM' grade. 2c

I got sidetracked on the above a bit but hopefully you know what I mean...it's late and I'm tired lol 

I stand corrected lol!  And here I thought using NM+ for a 9.8 CGC graded book on an ebay listing was accurate - below is what's taken directly from CGC's site on the 10 point grading scale...

Standard Grading Scale

CGC grades comic books, magazines, concert posters and lobby cards using a highly accurate 10-point grading scale. Below are CGC’s grading standards for each numeric grade. For the similar 10-point scale used by CGC Trading Cards, click on Trading Cards above.

Gem Mint10

The highest grade assigned. The collectible must have no evidence of any manufacturing or handling defects.
Mint9.9

The collectible is nearly indistinguishable from a 10.0 but will have a very minor manufacturing defect. It will not have any evidence of handling defects.
NM/M9.8

A nearly perfect collectible with negligible handling or manufacturing defects.
NM+9.6

A very well-preserved collectible with several minor manufacturing or handling defects.
NM9.4

A very well-preserved collectible with minor wear and small manufacturing or handling defects.
NM-9.2

A very well-preserved collectible with some wear and small manufacturing or handling defects.
VF/NM9.0

A very well-preserved collectible with good eye appeal. There will be a number of minor handling and/or manufacturing defects.
VF+8.5

An attractive collectible with a moderate defect or a number of small defects.
VF8.0

An attractive collectible with a moderate defect or an accumulation of small defects.
VF-7.5

An above-average collectible with a moderate defect or an accumulation of small defects.
FN/VF7.0

An above-average collectible with a major defect or an accumulation of small defects.
FN+6.5

An above-average collectible with a major defect and some smaller defects, or a significant accumulation of small defects.
FN6.0

A slightly above-average collectible with a major defect and some smaller defects, or a significant accumulation of small defects.
FN-5.5

A slightly above-average collectible with several moderate defects.
VG/FN5.0

An average collectible with several moderate defects.
VG+4.5

A slightly below-average collectible with multiple moderate defects.
VG4.0

A below-average collectible with multiple moderate defects.
VG-3.5

A below-average collectible with several major defects or an accumulation of multiple moderate defects.
G/VG3.0

A collectible that shows significant evidence of handling with several moderate-to-major defects.
G2.5

A collectible that shows extensive evidence of handling with multiple moderate-to-major defects.
G2.0

A collectible that shows extensive evidence of handling with numerous moderate-to-major defects.
G-1.8

A collectible that shows extensive evidence of handling with numerous major defects.
Fa/G1.5

A collectible that shows extensive evidence of handling with a heavy accumulation of major defects.
Fa1.0

A very poorly handled collectible with a heavy accumulation of major defects.
Poor0.5

A heavily defaced collectible with a number major defects. Some pieces will also be missing.

On 10/8/2021 at 6:49 AM, Erndog said:

Todd showed off the Gunslinger Spawn 1:250 signed incentive yesterday... 

Only 1191 copies!  More limited than King Spawn!  

Cant wait to grab mine

I ordered one so here's to hoping it and my multitude of other copies come in in decent shape lol 

Also - no updates on the census #'s for King Spawn #1 this week - surely that's just a CGC purposeful decision, right?  Does anyone know how often they 'skip' updating the census from week to week?

On 10/8/2021 at 4:49 AM, Erndog said:

Todd showed off the Gunslinger Spawn 1:250 signed incentive yesterday... 

Only 1191 copies!  More limited than King Spawn!  

Cant wait to grab mine

Wow. That is a lower number than expected which is awesome to see. I thought it would top King Spawn #1 since Gunslinger is so popular.

The beauty of GS 1 as well is that the regular covers will sell for a nice price at shows for years to come. It should be a $10-$20 book next convention season.

Edited by kimik

On 10/8/2021 at 12:29 PM, kimik said:

Wow. That is a lower number than expected which is awesome to see. I thought it would top King Spawn #1 since Gunslinger is so popular.

The beauty of GS 1 as well is that the regular covers will sell for a nice price at shows for years to come. It should be a $10-$20 book next convention season.

Good cuz I got 250 copies to deal with lol

On 10/8/2021 at 11:26 AM, Erndog said:

Good cuz I got 250 copies to deal with lol

Same here, but I was not worried with selling this book. Look at what the GS covers post #300 are already going for.

In the end, the mistake may have been not doing 1,000 copies..........

Edited by kimik

On 10/8/2021 at 1:35 PM, kimik said:

Same here, but I was not worried with selling this book. Look at what the GS covers post #300 are already going for.

In the end, the mistake may have been not doing 1,000 copies..........

Probably right.  

My guess would be the next one, The Scorched, will have the lowest print run yet.

I really am surprised Gunslinger didnt have more than King Spawn.  Good for us.

Damn playas!! I like the read on Gunslinger Spawn as a solid convention grinder. Interesting observation and one I look fwd to testing next year.

I think its cool we're getting the actual print numbers for the 1:250 incentives disclosed. As an aside... I miss Comichrons numbers.

As a Spawn collector I made the decision to let the 1:50s go... I got a Spawn's Universe and a King Spawn 1:50 that I pre-ordered through Wade's Comic Madness... but I finally have my LCS dialed in with all regular covers, all printings and the condition I'm getting is NM+. Plus what little info I can glean is that the print runs are high for these books and I'm betting longterm demand will drop (as it does with Spawn) and there will be buying opportunities.