• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official King Spawn Appreciation Thread
1 1

142 posts in this topic

Greetings, fellow CGC board members!

So I was surprised to see that there's not been a thread created yet to discuss the mass hysteria surrounding King Spawn #1 (and it's subsequent ongoing series - the first new Spawn ongoing in nearly 30 years from the Spawn Universe).  Am I the only one excited about the hype for this issue with all 9 different variants (and the elusive SS Todd McFarlane 1/1,697 exclusive variant)?  Come on...I know I'm not the only one invested in this madness out there on the boards!  B|

Here's what all the commotion is about (this is the art image of the most sought after cover prior to the signings, of course).  I'm pretty pumped about it, to be honest!  And the thought of doing the COA/SS Yellow Label thing was so progressive about this variant and I was all about that so I had to invest!

Oh and if you did get a signed #1, feel free to brag about it in this thread and we can 'document' the ones we've seen (assuming that sounds exciting to the rest of you like it does to me, that is)!  Forgive the nerd in me but I thoroughly enjoy cataloguing! lol

LONG LIVE KING SPAWN! 

:ph34r: Ryan

1366315948_KingSpawn1.jpeg.e7cfaa3511abaef95981942bc0045f4e.jpeg

On 8/27/2021 at 5:51 AM, RickSp said:

I find McFarlane cover art is still so nice to look at so the B covers will be the one's I go for

I agree. I don’t read spawn, but I do grab some of the alternative covers he does on Spawn from time to time. 

On 8/27/2021 at 12:20 PM, Sensei Ryan said:

Good lord so does that mean he got 60 copies (assuming I did the math right) of the signed variant???

Yep and from my understanding pre-sold each one for around $1k.  Not including any other variants of the issue.

I picked up the Cates cover for mini-me.  He enjoys Spawn, normally he will not "skip ahead" as he has read up through issue 52 so far.  But he went ahead and read King Spawn and enjoyed it.

He said the writing was similar to the early issues and my take is that it was quite gritty and violent (which I do enjoy).

On 8/27/2021 at 12:32 PM, ygogolak said:

Not quite. Slowly raised the price as they sold.

ks.jpg

Oh that isn't too bad considering the current market price.  Lots of spec are thinking it is going to plummet again.  Who knows, I would have bought one for maybe $200-$250 but never $500+, but that is just me.

On 8/27/2021 at 1:38 PM, Crops068 said:

Oh that isn't too bad considering the current market price.  Lots of spec are thinking it is going to plummet again.  Who knows, I would have bought one for maybe $200-$250 but never $500+, but that is just me.

$500 is a good price. Most are paying $750 to reach that plateau. Of course you get all the other copies with that but you are going to have to give them away at this point.

Or I've seen a number of "mystery boxes" popping up with one winner of the signed copy.

On 8/27/2021 at 10:38 AM, Crops068 said:

I did get in at that $499 price from that same seller. Received mine last Friday!

So I've not had time to read my copies of KS1 just yet but while I know there are numerous returning character appearances in this issue does anyone who knows the recent storyline of Spawn better than me see any first appearances in this first issue?  I was an original reader of Spawn when it first came out in the 90's (was one of the first books I collected and read, actually) but I stopped around issue 60-ish years ago.

Also prices on this one are all over the place but seem to be consistently selling for $850+ raw.  I haven't tracked any graded sales yet but I saw one raw sale today break $1250.  I've heard mixed opinions on this from to 'this one's gonna be one to keep long term' and the opposite of 'this will crash soon.'  It's pretty limited on the grand spectrum but it's not as limited as I would have preferred or originally thought it would be.

I wonder how many 9.8's will make it to grading to get the yellow label treatment?  How many won't be subbed?  And how many will fall to 9.6 or below (or the opposite and hit 9.9)?  Lots of things to consider before determining this one's worth on the aftermarket...

So I read and collected original Spawn from #1-130.  Recently, maybe 8 months ago around Christmas I really missed the character and got back into the main series (like #310 or so).  I picked up 300 onwards.

Over the years I would pick up the odd issue or storyline here and there but very few (thankfully I grabbed the Endgame storyline).  Lets just say I have a huge hole from #130-300.

I had planned on filling everything (I still do!) But once they nannounced the new Spawn universe VERY soon after I decided to re-collect the title I knew I was in for it haha

Anyways... i grabbed some King Spawn #1s.  I decided against the 1:250 last month (for $500 CDN!) when I was talking to the shop owner and now regret it.  I have major FOMO.  Hopefully I'll be able to grab one eventually. 

Edited by Erndog

Got all the covers, my LCS is very cool and just sold me the 1:250 for what they would normally charge for it. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to do my first ever CGC Submission. The instructions say to email the SS Team but the only email I could find was for "Sam Peterson" in the SS Noob Thread, is that it?

On 8/29/2021 at 1:09 PM, Masakari Prime said:

Got all the covers, my LCS is very cool and just sold me the 1:250 for what they would normally charge for it.

So when you say they sold it to you for what they normally would charge for it, out of curiosity what would that be lol?  It sounds like you got a good deal but if you're talking cover price then you got an amazing deal!

PS - the email address to the SS team is located at the bottom of the COA (I missed that myself first time around) (:

On 8/29/2021 at 7:41 PM, Sensei Ryan said:

So when you say they sold it to you for what they normally would charge for it, out of curiosity what would that be lol?  It sounds like you got a good deal but if you're talking cover price then you got an amazing deal!

PS - the email address to the SS team is located at the bottom of the COA (I missed that myself first time around) (:

Oh, thank you for the info!

They sold it to me for €250. It's not cover price but it's not bad.

On 8/29/2021 at 6:25 AM, Erndog said:

So I read and collected original Spawn from #1-130.  Recently, maybe 8 months ago around Christmas I really missed the character and got back into the main series (like #310 or so).  I picked up 300 onwards.

Over the years I would pick up the odd issue or storyline here and there but very few (thankfully I grabbed the Endgame storyline).  Lets just say I have a huge hole from #130-300.

I had planned on filling everything (I still do!) But once they nannounced the new Spawn universe VERY soon after I decided to re-collect the title I knew I was in for it haha

Anyways... i grabbed some King Spawn #1s.  I decided against the 1:250 last month (for $500 CDN!) when I was talking to the shop owner and now regret it.  I have major FOMO.  Hopefully I'll be able to grab one eventually. 

I ended at nearly the same time (I was at about 120). 

Fortunately, I started re-buying them before they got too stupid.  Still missing a few, but I'll find them someday. 

I grabbed my 1 copy of KoS today.  My store got 1 copy of the 250 and sold for $1K immediately.

Patrick