• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just started going to my collection, after many years…

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I am new to the group (as my post numbers show).  I just started going through my comics and found an Uncanny X-Men 300 signed by Stand Lee with the certificate of authenticity from Becketts and Assoc.  I am likely to not sell it and keep it for myself, but was wondering if it would still be beneficial to get it graded or just get one of those hard cases?  I have never opened it from the original storage it came with so I haven’t taken it out to post in PGM yet.  I figured I would ask here first.   Thank you in advance.

Welcome to the board!  

Unfortunately, comics which have never been opened still aren't CGC 9.8 most of the time.  The process to create comics often creates minor flaws and the process to have books signed can introduce small amounts of damage on top.  The certificates of authenticity in the 1990s were intended to make counterfeiting of signatures more difficult, but modern printing allows anyone to create their own certificates or copies of 1990s certificates pretty easily.

What's left is a comic book that is most likely signed by Stan Lee, but the signature wasn't witnessed by CGC (because they didn't exist at the time). If you submit your book to CGC, it will get a green label (qualified, indicating writing on the cover).  Many collectors don't like the green label, but that's because green is also used for books with problems like coupons cut out.  Green label on books with writing on the cover just means CGC doesn't know if the signature is legitimate or not, because they didn't witness it.  Other grading companies might determine whether they believe the signature is legit, but CGC will not.

If you end up with an X-Men #300 in a green label CGC and the grade is lower than 9.8, there's a chance you might not be able to sell it for more than this $125 recent ungraded copy: https://www.ebay.com/itm/124830813909

If that's the case, you would have wasted the money spent on the CGC grading.

Welcome to the boards!!

Valiantman has worded some considerations above perfectly. 

If you LOVE the book and want to keep it for yourself, then I would seriously consider putting it in a Mylar bag and just enjoying it as is. Books in Mylar really "pop" visually. (This thread may help you with sizing).

To give you unsolicited opinion/feedback.... If you were considering of selling in the future, then I am one of those collectors Valiantman referenced - I fall into the category of not liking green labels and while I would buy, have bought and will buy again, an ungraded book with a COA, I haven't ever bought a green label. Not to say I won't some day for an uncommon book... but it's unlikely. 

Edited by Arkham

Thank you for all the advice. This is more of something I would want to keep for myself as I grew up thinking Stan Lee was the best there is the best there was, the best there ever will be, lol .  I heard that there are some good Mylar cases and will likely go that route to keep it for myself. I was hoping to maybe sell it in the future if the occasion arose but might not be worth the cost. I went through 16 (about half) of my long boxes and will use the ask for a grade forum if I see anything I think might be worth sending in for grading. Most of my stuff is late late 80’s to mid 90’s of marvel, DC, and image, valiant. 

thanks for the info on this comic book. Really appreciate it and thanks for the warm welcome. 

On 9/3/2021 at 3:12 PM, JCComics said:

Thank you for all the advice. This is more of something I would want to keep for myself as I grew up thinking Stan Lee was the best there is the best there was, the best there ever will be, lol .  I heard that there are some good Mylar cases and will likely go that route to keep it for myself. I was hoping to maybe sell it in the future if the occasion arose but might not be worth the cost. I went through 16 (about half) of my long boxes and will use the ask for a grade forum if I see anything I think might be worth sending in for grading. Most of my stuff is late late 80’s to mid 90’s of marvel, DC, and image, valiant. 

thanks for the info on this comic book. Really appreciate it and thanks for the warm welcome. 

also, in the event you are interested in a CGC SS Stan Lee, he's signed a TON of books.  Odds are decent you can buy copy of your favorite Stan Lee signed book (prices vary of course).