• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kevin Eastman destroys another comic book grail!
3 3

266 posts in this topic

On 8/28/2021 at 10:35 PM, Buzzetta said:

Why are you getting irritated over something that you are not planning to buy or own then?

That’s what she said

On 8/28/2021 at 7:35 PM, Buzzetta said:

I am curious as to why the owners of these items should care about whether or not it irritates you and why you are irritated with how other people spend their money?

Why are you getting irritated over something that you are not planning to buy or own then?

Do you have any limits on signatures?

For me, it's kind of a sliding scale for me. This one not so much since there's 30 high grade 9.8 copies and numerous others in various other grades.

However, I know I'd be irritated if someone got a signature on the high grade Mile High Action 1.... or numerous other high end pedigree books. (LIke some collectors have done)

I would also be very irritated if someone damaged the Mona Lisa, tour out pages of a Birds of America book or wrote "Mine" on a high grade Honus Wagner card.

Doubt I would own any of those, but it also,

A. Sets a poor standard going forward as you are likely only going to own the book for 20 years tops.

B. Set a bad trend that might effect something you want to buy.

C. I just don't like to see rare artifacts defaced.

On 8/28/2021 at 11:10 PM, Rip said:

Do you have any limits on signatures?

For me, it's kind of a sliding scale for me. This one not so much since there's 30 high grade 9.8 copies and numerous others in various other grades.

However, I know I'd be irritated if someone got a signature on the high grade Mile High Action 1.... or numerous other high end pedigree books. (LIke some collectors have done)

I would also be very irritated if someone damaged the Mona Lisa, tour out pages of a Birds of America book or wrote "Mine" on a high grade Honus Wagner card.

Doubt I would own any of those, but it also,

A. Sets a poor standard going forward as you are likely only going to own the book for 20 years tops.

B. Set a bad trend that might effect something you want to buy.

C. I just don't like to see rare artifacts defaced.

DaVinci signed the Mona Lisa.

There is a difference between signing and damage.  

Is Action Comics 1 an artifact more than a comic book?  Possibly.  To be honest, Action Comics 1 might be the only comic I consider an "artifact".  

But as distasteful as it is to some around here to see someone say it.  The sun will still rise tomorrow.   I would say, 'that's a shame' and then think about the rest of my day. 

On 8/28/2021 at 4:29 PM, kav said:

Let's say someone bought the mona lisa and had graffiti artist go over it.  Still ok cause it's his and thats what he wants?

Yes. If you own something, it is okay for you to do whatever you want with your possession.

On 8/28/2021 at 8:31 PM, Hawkman said:

Yes. If you own something, it is okay for you to do whatever you want with your possession.

Lets say someone owned the cure for cancer.  Still ok to destroy?

On 8/28/2021 at 8:27 PM, Buzzetta said:

DaVinci signed the Mona Lisa.

There is a difference between signing and damage.  

Is Action Comics 1 an artifact more than a comic book?  Possibly.  To be honest, Action Comics 1 might be the only comic I consider an "artifact".  

But as distasteful as it is to some around here to see someone say it.  The sun will still rise tomorrow.   I would say, 'that's a shame' and then think about the rest of my day. 

DaVinci signed the Mona Lisa? I mean there are theories inside the eyes. But certainly not across the artwork.

Ok you think there is no limits no matter how rare unique or historical?  Not even a little upset?

Edited by Rip

On 8/28/2021 at 8:31 PM, Hawkman said:

So what about the next guy? Unique artifacts also?

On 8/28/2021 at 11:35 PM, Rip said:

DaVinci signed the Mona Lisa? I mean there are theories inside the eyes. But certainly not across the artwork.

Ok you think there is no limits no matter how rare unique or historical? 

I do not.  If the original creator is signing it then so be it.

I said so much the other day actually. 

If Siegel and Schuster were alive today and there was only one copy of Action Comics 1 in existence and the owner wanted them to sign it.  So be it.

EDIT:

I also had no problem with Stan Lee signing any book featuring a character he created regardless of whether or not he worked on the book.  The uproar is kind of a big shrug for me and I am not even a guy that goes around and collects signatures to any large degree. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 8/28/2021 at 8:35 PM, Rip said:

Ok you think there is no limits no matter how rare unique or historical? 

Sketch for second mona lisa
Two-Mona Lisa theory - Wikipedia

On 8/28/2021 at 8:41 PM, HighVoltage said:

Kang already did it to the Sphinx… and I haven’t really heard any complaints on that one. 

Now Kang can sign any book he likes and I'll buy it up!!
He can draw a cockroach on action #1 even!

On 8/28/2021 at 8:41 PM, HighVoltage said:

Kang already did it to the Sphinx… and I haven’t really heard any complaints on that one. 

and Ps anyone complains abt Kang and they wont last long.

On 8/28/2021 at 8:45 PM, Rip said:

That was done by another turtle "Raphael"

aw damn