• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kevin Eastman destroys another comic book grail!
3 3

266 posts in this topic

On 8/28/2021 at 11:33 PM, Rip said:

One of the more heated debates in Art history class studying overseas used to be... Which is more important to save in a burning building, the Mona Lisa, or the security guard inside?

You wouldn't believe how many said the painting is more important than the person.

Bad example. The Mona Lisa is boring and ugly and is only famous because it got publicity for being stolen 100 years ago. No one cared at all about it before that. So I'd choose the security guard for that one. Now if it was between all my comics, records or toys and someone that wasn't my family or close to me, sorry you are dying in that fire and I am saving my stuff lol 

On 8/28/2021 at 9:42 PM, catman76 said:

Bad example. The Mona Lisa is boring and ugly and is only famous because it got publicity for being stolen 100 years ago. No one cared at all about it before that. So I'd choose the security guard for that one. Now if it was between all my comics, records or toys and someone that wasn't my family or close to me, sorry you are dying in that fire and I am saving my stuff lol 

Omg what if you didnt save him then found out later he was your long lost brother!

On 8/28/2021 at 7:35 PM, Buzzetta said:

I am curious as to why the owners of these items should care about whether or not it irritates you and why you are irritated with how other people spend their money?

The owners shouldn't care about my opinion.  I was only curious if there is a point where an artist should consider a customer request disrespectful to the original artwork.  I believe there is, and in this particular instance the line was crossed. I'm not irritated how money was spent on the sketch, I'm slightly irritated that a customer would choose to ruin such a rare comic book and more so irritated that Eastman would do this to the book. I posted to see if others had a similar perspective on the matter.  

On 8/28/2021 at 7:35 PM, Buzzetta said:

Why are you getting irritated over something that you are not planning to buy or own then?

You're right, I should be posting out of curiosity and shouldn't let things like this agitate me, but here we are.   This video may shed some light on things:

On 8/29/2021 at 12:01 PM, Juno Beach said:

The original artist drawing on a copy of his art? No problem. Just leave the OA alone, imo. Also, all copies without a remarque/sig just became rarer.

This is why I want a blue label AF 15...unadulterated by anything but time and wear...no restoration and no signature. 

On 8/29/2021 at 12:44 PM, Amazing Cider-Man said:

Right now he wins because he got what he wanted, but he'll also be the one who loses if/when he decides to sell it.

Honestly, the lucky people that own a TMNT 1 first prints also won in this scenario because another one of the 3000 has become disfigured.  Honestly, they should be egging Eastman on to destroy more of these...

On 8/29/2021 at 12:44 PM, Amazing Cider-Man said:

Right now he wins because he got what he wanted, but he'll also be the one who loses if/when he decides to sell it.

On 8/29/2021 at 12:59 PM, Wolverinex said:

Honestly, the lucky people that own a TMNT 1 first prints also won in this scenario because another one of the 3000 has become disfigured.  Honestly, they should be egging Eastman on to destroy more of these...

I think Torpedo Comics will be okay.

On 8/29/2021 at 1:51 PM, Amazing Cider-Man said:

Doesn't change the fact that it was done.

And why people let that ruin their day is beyond me.   Doubling down on what Ryan said. 

On 8/28/2021 at 3:59 PM, Flanders82 said:

Uniqueness doesn't detract from the fact that he destroyed a great cover with inferior art. He could've done a sketch on anything else, no need to deface a book like this.

Evidently he drew what the books owner requested. In what world is it any of your affair what a books owner does or want done to a book. There are people who argue it is wrong to encase a book in plastic, as they are meant to be read. There are people who think signatures on covers ruin the books. 

How big a sense of entitlement does one have to have to feel they can dictate what a books owner and the books artist can do?

On 8/29/2021 at 10:55 AM, Buzzetta said:

And why people let that ruin their day is beyond me.   Doubling down on what Ryan said. 

People can ruin their day if they want!