• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Walking Dead 1 CGC 9.9 Thread
2 2

24 posts in this topic

Hey TWD and other interested collectors 😎!  I have been working with @Sensei Ryan to compile a list of all Walking Dead 1 books graded CGC 9.9.   Ryan had been following the auctions since about 2014.   I did a whole lot of detective work on Facebook, where proud collectors posted their books and everyone seemed interested to share the latest sighting.   We were able to find 16 of 22 9.9 Universal books, pretty impressive I think.  The 3 Signature Series have never surfaced.  We would love help from anyone who knows of a cert # not on this list.  Here are the books, sorted by Cert Date:

image.png.5f78b1bc46c74cd7b30557b54513086a.png

@Sensei Ryan is the proud owner of the only known Black Label 9.9 (thumbsu

For more detailed info about TWD 1 and TWD Rarities, check out @StephenWA's journal here-->

Edited by BladeTX

Tagging the usual parties and those with recent comments in the Official TWD Thread to get the conversation started: @Sensei Ryan; @StephenWA; @MrWalkingDead; @bigclutch; @Crops068; @ADAMANTIUM; @Parabellum; @awakeintheashes; @fatlab123; @lostboys; @Impulse :); @JS; @jimjackjett; @jug12x; @Silver_Couch_Surfer; @cbalroman;

Hoping collectively we can find couple more out there.

On 8/30/2021 at 9:14 AM, Dr. Dank said:

What's a white and/or black label?

I asked the same thing, being one that does not own either one of the OG WD #1s.

The Black Label is a misprint where the white ink was not loaded properly and the Mature Reader stamp was all black and "not as crisp" as the later fixed printings in the initial run. 

White Label -

image.thumb.png.a32aebfc402919e4921eafcc11b666c6.png

Black Label -

image.png.74127a684cf0feb966988d5c03dc1496.png

On 8/30/2021 at 8:41 AM, Crops068 said:

I asked the same thing, being one that does not own either one of the OG WD #1s.

The Black Label is a misprint where the white ink was not loaded properly and the Mature Reader stamp was all black and "not as crisp" as the later fixed printings in the initial run. 

White Label -

Black Label -

Thanks

On 8/30/2021 at 9:41 AM, Crops068 said:

White Label -

Black Label -

I'd always heard that the black "MATURE READERS" was the way the cover was designed, but once a few were printed and it was hard to read, they switched to the white.  Since we're specifically talking about the "MATURE READERS" label, they may have wanted to avoid trouble.  Anything else that might have been hard to read probably wouldn't have been corrected.

Thanks for Tom for helping put this into thread form!  I think it's nice to have a catalogue/database of these things in case anyone wants to research it further (it gives a baseline as to how to start/track/estimate values at least...

I'd love to see an image of one of the SS 9.9's someday.   I've been a TWD collector for a long time and have never seen one of these surface.  Very mysterious for sure :ph34r:

On 8/30/2021 at 2:51 PM, BladeTX said:

Hey TWD and other interested collectors 😎!  I have been working with @Sensei Ryan to compile a list of all Walking Dead 1 books graded CGC 9.9.   Ryan had been following the auctions since about 2014.   I did a whole lot of detective work on Facebook, where proud collectors posted their books and everyone seemed interested to share the latest sighting.   We were able to find 16 of 22 9.9 Universal books, pretty impressive I think.  The 3 Signature Series have never surfaced.  We would love help from anyone who knows of a cert # not on this list.  Here are the books, sorted by Cert Date:

As (most of) you know, I LOVE lists. Especially TWD lists. Great job @Sensei Ryanand @BladeTXfor putting this one together.

I have a White and a Black label TWD #1, but not 9.9s. If I see any of the others, I'll be sure to let you know.

Regards, Stephen (UK)

On 8/30/2021 at 2:51 PM, BladeTX said:

I have added a link to your "list" from my TWD #1 list as below. Might you reciprocate?

Thx

SA 

On 8/30/2021 at 5:33 PM, valiantman said:

I'd always heard that the black "MATURE READERS" was the way the cover was designed, but once a few were printed and it was hard to read, they switched to the white.  Since we're specifically talking about the "MATURE READERS" label, they may have wanted to avoid trouble.  Anything else that might have been hard to read probably wouldn't have been corrected.

That sounds much better than what @BladeTX told me. lol

Here we go!  Another 9.9 has shown up on the radar in the ComicLink sale.  This one was not previously documented so is officially 9.9 #17 (though I have partial numbers on an 18th).  Get ready to break out your wallets.

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dwalking%2Bdead%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1751804&id=1751804&itemType=0

On 2/19/2024 at 2:17 PM, BladeTX said:

Here we go!  Another 9.9 has shown up on the radar in the ComicLink sale.  This one was not previously documented so is officially 9.9 #17 (though I have partial numbers on an 18th).  Get ready to break out your wallets.

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dwalking%2Bdead%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1751804&id=1751804&itemType=0

It's currently sitting at $6,300 with over 5 days to go!