• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have two 9.2 comics. Should I send them in to be pressed and regraded?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Have two 9.2 comics.  Should I send them in to be pressed and regraded?  If so, should I crack the case and send them nude or submit with the sealed case in the 9.2 grade?  Thye are for HE-MAN # 1 in 9.2 grade.  Hoping for a 9.8 on at least one.

+1 on the grading notes. If any color breaks, finger prints, etc, pressing won't help. I've had raws submitted for pressing that have come back 9.8 but don't have a baseline other than me eyeballing it and thinking it has a good 9.8 chance. My first test on a graded book (X-Men #4 9.6) that I submitted for the Jim Lee signing with pressing is my hope of moving up to a 9.8 is currently in process. 

9.2 to a 9.8 can be a big jump but even an increase to 9.4 or 9.6 can increase value. 

On 8/30/2021 at 2:50 PM, Rainbow in the Park said:

What do the grading notes say? 

On 8/30/2021 at 2:55 PM, rexinnih said:

+1 on the grading notes. If any color breaks, finger prints, etc, pressing won't help. I've had raws submitted for pressing that have come back 9.8 but don't have a baseline other than me eyeballing it and thinking it has a good 9.8 chance. My first test on a graded book (X-Men #4 9.6) that I submitted for the Jim Lee signing with pressing is my hope of moving up to a 9.8 is currently in process. 

9.2 to a 9.8 can be a big jump but even an increase to 9.4 or 9.6 can increase value. 

"finger bends left top of back cover

spine stress lines breaks color

very small tape pull bottom of back cover"

On 9/1/2021 at 5:31 PM, djzombi said:

Yeah, tape pull and color breaks aren't fixed by pressing.  

I still don't understand why some people think pressing is a magic process that can reverse color loss.  

The last Major con I attended in Oct 2019  i heard dealers say the same thing over and over regarding raw books;  "Get it pressed and you will have 9.6 or 9.8" . Heard one of them say that about a book missing a small piece of cover approx half the size of dime, and the potential customer agreeing - seriously.  Some dealer's I'm sure make a fair amount of bank selling to "rubes" and the "greedy"..

I'd really like to see a guide out there with before and after of what can and cannot  be solved by CSS pressing. If some of the mystery was removed it might encourage more folks to give it a go.

Edited by MAR1979

It seems pretty basic to me - "If this were flattened, what would it look like?"  In other words, pressing is most effective on rippling, bends, curls, etc.

It's "cleaning" that gets sketchier for me.  Like, in a "clean and press," what are the limits of a clean?  Getting rid of pencil?  Pen?  Grime?  Light soiling?  Food?  Clearly not water staining.  Do the insides get done?  Is it "spot-clean," or does the whole thing get done, sometimes (key word: "sometimes") resulting in colors looking better, and whites whiter?