• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

deleted
1 1

21 posts in this topic

On 8/30/2021 at 4:56 PM, sellingitall said:

just the wrinkle line, or the spots too? any idea how much the wrinkle line will count off? .2 or more? thanks.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

Post pics of the entire book, both wraps and spine individually in this thread for better answers....

You ask for an answer you will never get.  There is no "how much do they count off for" .CGC graders don't have a grading card where they look and knock of points or fractions of a point for each defect they see.  The reason someone has already replied "post pictures of the entire book" is because the entire book is assigned a grade, based on it's overall appearance. 

The small defects you show in your picture probably have little  impact on the grade at 8.0, zero impact at 6.0 or less. But more on higher grade.  A more accurate way to think of grading isn't "who much do the take off?" but instead "what's the best grade you can get with this defect?"

You also need to realize that CGC does not answer what if questions, a grader is not going to look at your pictures and give you an answer.  Neither do they publish a grading guide - much as many of us wish they would.  Because if they did they'd spend all day lawyering grades with those unhappy with their grades instead of grading books.  TAT would be measured in years, not months.   

Getting a handle on how CGC grades is developed over years of sending books in. Your researching similar books on eBay is an excellent idea. So  is funnybooks answer a few hours ago to post up pictures of the entire book in the please  grade me sub-forum.   People with will offer an opinion based on their experience.  

I will only note grade wise all prestige format (or perfect bound) books have a line/indent like this at the glue line.  The question is if the book has been opened and read - how carefully, how many times. Because wrinkling forms along the line/indent from the book being opened. I see a tiny bit of that at the top of the front cover but no where else. So it appears to be a very minor thing. 

On 8/30/2021 at 8:26 PM, sellingitall said:

"CGC graders don't have a grading card where they look and knock of points or fractions of a point for each defect they see." You know this how? I don't know if you've worked there tho, haven't memorized the few posters here that used to work for CGC. But I've been told by a grader specifically they'll knock off .2 for a light thumbed wrinkle line if over an inch. This was way back tho. Others have told me 'this is a .5 deduction, this is X point' etc, so surely they have some kind of points system for defects. Of course it's written down for them to refer too, they can't memorize every little defect deduction. We all know they don't publish their in-house standards, but they have more detailed in-house standards.

I'm pretty sure Tony is right on the money on this one---there is no "grading card" that I've ever seen or heard of. But they do occasionally talk to each other and pass books back and forth...  :bigsmile:

On 8/30/2021 at 8:26 PM, sellingitall said:

Again, I'm not asking for a total grade really, just some kind off actual EXPERIENCE on this particular thing. I didn't post in the PGM forum cuz I'm just asking a simple (I think) grading question on two types of potential defects. Seeing the whole book doesn't matter so much, the pics show what I need to show and get an experienced answer on. As in "I got an otherwise 9.8/9.6 back as a 9.6/9.4 and the grader notes only mentioned the spine wrinkle." Or "I've had multiple prestige format recently graded and all got the expected grades with and without the lines" (say 9.6 to 9.8). That's the info I'm looking for.

As long as that's the only flaw, they used to give books with a very light reading wrinkle along the spine a 9.2 - 9.4 (it also may depend on whether it's on the front or back cover). If the book appears unread, it could get a 9.8 or better. So it really can range from 9.2 (or even lower) to 9.8 (or even higher). Better pictures (full front and back) would probably help your cause...

And you're right, the reason graders don't answer these kinds of questions anymore is because they're extremely busy grading books that folks have actually submitted for grading...  :whistle:

On 8/30/2021 at 10:44 PM, sellingitall said:

I've been pretty good with my grading guesses for my submissions, so sure, I don't have that stuff written down, but I'm not getting paid to grade either, or have had a wide enough grade 'variety' with my submissions to know all what they count off how much for in every grade.

hm