• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Mighty Marvel Win-Yourself-Some-Big-Bucks Contest - 4th prize - Rare Stan Lee autographed book
3 3

7 posts in this topic

I'm coming back into the hobby after almost 4 decades away. Back in the day I won 4th prize in the contest mentioned and thought I'd share it. I have only about 3-400 comics boarded and bagged from back in the day and I've been spending some spare time building a spreadsheet. It is really fun thumbing through my ASM and Flash comics I focused on as a kid. Finding interesting issues like She-Hulk #1 and Captain America #100 has really blown some cobwebs out of the old thinker. I don't have ANY graded comics and can't believe the price enhancement grading provides from a cursory look on eBay. I'm planning on cherry-picking a few copies to get graded and slabbed for fun, but I'm not really excited at the prospect of waiting months after my long absence.

Anyway, check out my prize from the early 80's. What do you think this is worth considering there were only 300 issued 40 years ago?

contest1.jpg

contest2.jpg

contest3.jpg

MYSBBMarvelContest.jpg

MYSBBMarvelContest2.jpg

I think your book has to be worth more to you than ever it would be in cold hard cash. Having said that, if you auctioned it off there would be a lot of interest. I'm glad you still have a good number of your original collection. The prices are truly frightening if trying to purchase now. I've been watching it happen over the last eight years or so, mainly using MyComicShop as my measure of supply, and prices for certain comics in various grades. Now MCS is largely items sold on consignment with no regard for Overstreet pricing, as MCS don't seem to have so much stock of their own on hand. I've watched the increase in prices for lower grades as collectors hunt down any available copy of key comics! It's become the wild west out there! And as you say the instant premium that CGC grading provides is like a revolving door making money for collectors. 

I also made myself a spreadsheet very recently and find it really useful. Maybe post some scans of your gems as you re-acquaint yourself with them. Welcome to the boards! 

Edited by LowGradeBronze

On 9/1/2021 at 2:38 PM, Lightning55 said:

Welcome to the boards!

What makes you think that there are 300 copies?  The documentation you provided says 4th place was 100 copies.

There were 100 4th place prizes for each of 3 age groups. I wonder how many are still out there.. I imagine most of them.

On 9/1/2021 at 4:44 PM, Delzy said:

There were 100 4th place prizes for each of 3 age groups. I wonder how many are still out there.. I imagine most of them.

I missed that the prizes were for each group.  Yes, it's possible that most are still out there, but like many things in collections, they can change hands, get lost or damaged, etc.  No idea on the value, sorry.