• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm leaving ebay as a seller...where should I go for better protection?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Been on ebay for 23 years, and they've finally pushed even me away. There is zero seller protection; you can ship somebody a $1,000 slab, get ripped off, and not be able to contact ebay by any method. I can take the "just the cost of doing business" risk on hundred dollar slab, but anything more and the risk is too high. (I'm not a business, anyway, just a guy who occasionally finds something like a West Coast Avenger #45 in his long box).

I'm looking for feedback about how other slab sellers feel when they sell on comic link, MCS, Heritage. Is there one that protects the seller better than any other? (MCS puts the slab up on ebay concurrently, so I'm not sure who's taking the risk there).

Thanks!

S

Edited by Ablation Steve

On 9/2/2021 at 8:33 AM, Ablation Steve said:

I'm looking for feedback about how other slab sellers feel when they sell on comic link, MCS, Heritage. Is there one that protects the seller better than any other? (MCS puts the slab up on ebay concurrently, so I'm not sure who's taking the risk there).

MCS is great, and they take on the risk when you consign with them. I have no experience with other auction houses.

On 9/2/2021 at 8:30 AM, Ablation Steve said:

You're absolutely right, I chose the wrong category. Should I just restart the topic over there?

yes

but also, in general if you're consigning the comic to a major auction house, and YOU SEND THEM THE COMIC FIRST, you won't have to deal with returns and non-bidders and paypal disputes, etc.  Just sit back and collect the cash.  But you generally pay a higher percentage for the service (although ebay fees are pretty high now too).  Heritage is fine, mcs is fine, comiclink is fine. The best one for you will probably depend on what you're selling.

Another thing you can consider is at least offering them here on the boards first, there's not really any protection but at least the fees are low and most of the buyers are friendly, although of course its a limited and highly savvy market.