• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Robert Jordan's THE WHEEL OF TIME on Amazon Prime (2021)
3 3

52 posts in this topic

WOT is an incredibly difficult story to tell properly. I didnt think there was a chance of doing it well. But I am very impressed with how it's coming along - the production values, character development, the condensing and mods to Jordan's torturous storyline.  Rosamund Pike brings everyone along in her wake.

Already shooting Season 3 and I am looking forward to it.

With San Diego Comic-Con less than two weeks away, the news of who’s going and what they’re bringing is going to keep flooding in. Today Prime Video announced what they’re bringing to celebrate the full return of the famed convention, and their offerings are magical. Prime Video is bringing The Wheel of Time: Origins, The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power, and Paper Girls. There will be panels for each series, a special screening of Paper Girls, and lastly Prime Video will be sponsoring Entertainment Weekly Rooftop Bash.

• When:  Thursday, July 21 at 4:15 p.m. PDT
  • Where: Room 6A
  • Social: Twitter and Instagram: @TheWheelOfTime; Facebook: /TheWheelOfTimeOfficial; #TheWheelOfTime

On 11/20/2021 at 8:42 AM, jsilverjanet said:

lot of options to watch last night but went with this

i was worried because some of the reviews were not positive but i actually really enjoyed it. i think the mistake is comparing it to games of thrones. i thought it was more lord of the rings type of fantasy. i thought the production value was excellent. looking forward to next Fridays episode

I finally got around to watching this series. I'm enjoying it!

And I have to agree. Force-comparing anything fantasy show to Game of Thrones sets false expectations. On its own, it does a good job.

On 7/11/2022 at 1:02 AM, piper said:

The books are so much better.

I never read this series. But I could see with the complexity of this story the books most probably connect the dots of characters that is difficult via a show. I'm guessing though.

My 2c:

I have not read any GoT books; watched the entire series.

I just finished book 2 of WoT; just finished season 1 of the series.

The comparison between GoT and WoT is that there is no comparison; GoT is medieval history with bits of fantasy; WoT is full-blown fantasy.

Through 2 books WoT has many instances where out of nowhere something fantastic happens (which has never happened before), to help the heroes, bring them together, etc.

GoT (the TV series) is very adult-oriented (a lot of violence and sex); WoT is fine for teens (some violence, mostly smooching).

My 2c about this book/television series:

1.  I loved the series, even though it was getting harder to read towards the end.  Robert even signed some of my earlier books...in person.  He was a trip.  R.I.P. :foryou:

2.  I don't pay for streaming for any show/shows.  I reserve my opinion on this.

3.  The last time a show was based on a Fantasy book series, it was cancelled after two seasons.  I'm talking about The Sword of Truth, by Terry Goodkind.  I was enjoying that show, and the air was let out of me. :cry:

4.  Book series like this are way to massive to fit into a successful television show.  Hell, Game of Thrones ended, but J.R.R. Martin hasn't written a single follow on novel since 2011.  How will that book series continue on after the show ended? (shrug)

5.  In this day and age, I think (like Disney streaming), it's a money-grab.  Again, these are my thoughts and opinions and I hope the show does well.  It won't last, though...IMO.

:canofworms:

It has been a while, but I read all 13 of the Wheel of Time books, I like the TV series thus far.  The last 3 books or so, were completed by Brian Sanderson - whose writing I enjoyed more than Robert Jordon's. 

I will also say, that I read all the Game of Throne books and it was a slog, I just couldn't enjoy the books very much - too dark and bloody.  However, I did enjoy the GOT TV series much more than the books. Your opinion may vary.

On 7/22/2022 at 1:32 PM, BanjerD said:

It has been a while, but I read all 13 of the Wheel of Time books, I like the TV series thus far.  The last 3 books or so, were completed by Brian Sanderson - whose writing I enjoyed more than Robert Jordon's. 

I will also say, that I read all the Game of Throne books and it was a slog, I just couldn't enjoy the books very much - too dark and bloody.  However, I did enjoy the GOT TV series much more than the books. Your opinion may vary.

I thought Brandon did a fantastic job of working from Jordan's notes.  He was able to tie down most of the loose threads and come up with a conclusion.  I'm not convinced that RJ would have been able to wrap up the series in three books.

On 7/22/2022 at 1:32 PM, BanjerD said:

I couldn't get into the GoT Books.  That said, I'm waiting for Patrick Rothfuss to complete his trilogy.  Never going to happen...

Great series. From the first scene of the first episode to the last shot of Season 1. Great casting, acting, natural location shots with intricate sets and flawless CGI. Diversity that is not tone deaf, gratuitous, or in your face pandering, like the black female dwarf in Rings of Power, and other productions like it.

If there was ever a source material that leaned into girl boss men bad, Wheel is it. From the get go - men broke the world. And yet Wheel doesnt go there beyond the narrative's logic. How refreshing.

Rosamund Pike's hand is all over this show. Lead actress and producer and it shows. She also narrates the audio books. Now that's committing to a project.

Edited by Dr. Love

On 7/19/2023 at 3:05 PM, Dr. Love said:

If there was ever a source material that leaned into girl boss men bad, Wheel is it. From the get go - men broke the world. And yet Wheel doesnt go there beyond the narrative's logic. How refreshing.

The books lean into that HARD, which would be fine if the female characters (with a small handful of exceptions) weren't otherwise so insufferable. I tried, for like the fifth time, to read through the series and couldn't get past book six or seven. By book five I had to just completely skip the female centric chapters. 

Haven't seen the show, but glad they are steering away from that 

On 9/2/2023 at 8:30 AM, october said:

The books lean into that HARD, which would be fine if the female characters (with a small handful of exceptions) weren't otherwise so insufferable. I tried, for like the fifth time, to read through the series and couldn't get past book six or seven. By book five I had to just completely skip the female centric chapters. 

Haven't seen the show, but glad they are steering away from that 

So far here is how it looks to me - men destroyed the old world, the female witches(?) made it worse, and Rand is there to clean up everyone’s mess. 

On 9/2/2023 at 10:30 AM, october said:

I tried, for like the fifth time, to read through the series and couldn't get past book six or seven.

Book six or seven is where I end up falling out of the series as well. 

Edited by media_junkie