• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Glue Removal from Spine
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Hi 

Thinking of buying a cgc graded book with some small amount of glue on the cover.  I can’t post a pic unfortunately but searching around about restoration removal it seems to always be about color touch and other areas.  I haven’t seen much about glue removal.   Is this common to do - ?

It’s a C-1 level of restoration fwiw - the glue appears to be non-archival which I know makes it hard but it’s a small amount.  

(grader notes state: Glue/adhesive (Non-archival material small amount) Spine C-1)

Edited by OuterBanks

An amateur repair typically done to seal a spine split/tear or reattach a partially/completely detached cover to the interior.  If you remove the non-archival adhesive, the pre-repair damage will once again become evident, and new damage (such as ink or paper loss) will likely occur.  :cry:

On 9/4/2021 at 9:55 AM, zzutak said:

An amateur repair typically done to seal a spine split/tear or reattach a partially/completely detached cover to the interior.  If you remove the non-archival adhesive, the pre-repair damage will once again become evident, and new damage (such as ink or paper loss) will likely occur.  :cry:

It’s a CGC 3.0 right now with the purple label and C-1 restoration.

Even if it dropped to a 2.0 or 1.0 it’d be worth it :)

Thanks for the answer.

On 9/4/2021 at 10:16 AM, OuterBanks said:

It’s a CGC 3.0 right now with the purple label and C-1 restoration.

Even if it dropped to a 2.0 or 1.0 it’d be worth it :)

Thanks for the answer.

Probably best to find a pro and have them take a look. 

My amateur opinion is, glue can be awfully difficult to remove. It can spread between wraps and pages and require a descent amount of work. The type of glue is probably important as well. I imagine some glues aren't as easy to remove and attempting to would do more damage to the book. 

You could reach out to guys like Kenny Sanderson, Trace Heft, or Hero Restoration to get their thoughts, but I imagine the answer would be "it depends" and they would need to see the book out of the slab. 

On 9/4/2021 at 2:04 PM, KCOComics said:

Probably best to find a pro and have them take a look. 

My amateur opinion is, glue can be awfully difficult to remove. It can spread between wraps and pages and require a descent amount of work. The type of glue is probably important as well. I imagine some glues aren't as easy to remove and attempting to would do more damage to the book. 

You could reach out to guys like Kenny Sanderson, Trace Heft, or Hero Restoration to get their thoughts, but I imagine the answer would be "it depends" and they would need to see the book out of the slab. 

Thanks for the names - I’ll definitely check them out.  I read up on glue and there are glues that are easy to remove and then there’s this kinda glue which could cause all the problems you mentioned.  Especially if someone pressed the comic or it was exposed to warm temperatures - the glue will bleed into pages.

Worth a shot!

On 9/4/2021 at 3:32 PM, OuterBanks said:

Thanks for the names - I’ll definitely check them out.  I read up on glue and there are glues that are easy to remove and then there’s this kinda glue which could cause all the problems you mentioned.  Especially if someone pressed the comic or it was exposed to warm temperatures - the glue will bleed into pages.

Worth a shot!

Following -

really interested to see what you find out as I have a book with the same issue that I am contemplating sending for removal of the minor glue (C-1)

On 9/4/2021 at 12:32 PM, OuterBanks said:

Thanks for the names - I’ll definitely check them out.  I read up on glue and there are glues that are easy to remove. 

Worth a shot!

I can also recommend Cgc forumite 427Impaler for comic conservation and glue removal. Samples of his work on Instagram (IG) excelsior_conservation.

On 9/9/2021 at 10:40 AM, Obrie2tm said:

Following -

really interested to see what you find out as I have a book with the same issue that I am contemplating sending for removal of the minor glue (C-1)

I haven't gotten the book in the mail - I'm reaching out to folks to see what they think.

Timely conversation for me also. Was looking at my X-Men 3 last evening (2.5 C-1 with small amount of color and glue on spine) and wondering if I should submit for restoration removal. I've had success with removing color before with no loss of grade but haven't done anything with glue. 

On 9/13/2021 at 2:40 PM, rexinnih said:

Timely conversation for me also. Was looking at my X-Men 3 last evening (2.5 C-1 with small amount of color and glue on spine) and wondering if I should submit for restoration removal. I've had success with removing color before with no loss of grade but haven't done anything with glue. 

I know CGC does restoration removal - do they look at glue and other forms of restoration?

I once cracked a 6.0 book with a similar notation of a small amount of glue on the spine. It was a 1/4" spine split at the bottom which I opened up and scraped the glue off of. I expected a 5.5 on resubmit, which I got, but CGC decided it now had a small amount of color touch on spine (which I couldn't find). 

On 9/23/2021 at 5:05 PM, rjpb said:

I once cracked a 6.0 book with a similar notation of a small amount of glue on the spine. It was a 1/4" spine split at the bottom which I opened up and scraped the glue off of. I expected a 5.5 on resubmit, which I got, but CGC decided it now had a small amount of color touch on spine (which I couldn't find). 

Makes me wonder if it's best to let CGC do restoration removal - do they remove glue also?

On 9/24/2021 at 12:13 PM, OuterBanks said:

Makes me wonder if it's best to let CGC do restoration removal - do they remove glue also?

If you decide to go through CGC/CCS for resto removal, it seems they now allow "glue on spine" for a regrade to a Universal. But it's really their call.

I say this judging from seeing so many low-grade Universal labels with the "glue on spine" notation lately.

On 9/24/2021 at 2:13 PM, OuterBanks said:

Based on my experiences with two books (Showcase #6 and Fantastic Four #6), no, they don't. I clearly specified that if the restoration could not be removed, nothing further was to be done with the books. So, out of the kindness of their heart, CCS pressed each of these books. Wait a minute, I think they charged me for that.