• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it just me or are the boards a hot mess of 500 Errors?
5 5

267 posts in this topic

On 9/6/2021 at 10:39 PM, B2D327 said:

Happens to me all the time for the last few weeks. Refresh works sometimes but I’ve come to accept it as “normal” now and just move on until I decide to visit at a later time 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yeah i just avoid the boards during that time... hopefully the corporate overlords don't decide to make this permanent

On 9/7/2021 at 4:33 AM, oakman29 said:

I'm starting to get tired of it. Why I haven't been around that much these days.

Same here Oak. There are few things in life more tedious than sitting in front of a computer screen, constantly refreshing an unresponsive webpage. I feel myself slowly drifting away and have long since given up on posting anything substantial - it's not worth the risk to craft a lengthy post or journal entry if you're likely to lose it to a 500 error. No one at CGC seems to give the slightest care for what is going on though, do they. Whatever the reason for the technical problems, there is no excuse for not communicating with us about it. 

I know very little about computers, but I suspect a process runs each day - maybe the backing up of all the stuff we manage to post - and the system just can't cope with it. My old computer would become unresponsive whenever the virus scan was running. Not enough juice in the engine, something like that. I suspect there is something they could do, but I feel less and less inclined to hang around waiting for CGC staff to make some kind of meaningful statement on the matter as each day passes. Is this how it will always be? We don't know. And it's not as if a number of us haven't tried to get across to CGC what is happening, behind the scenes. 

So I suspect it won't be long before some of us give up on the place for good.  And that will be a shame for me, as I've always quite enjoyed posting here. 

Similar experience here in the U.K. to Steve / Marwood.  Last night was very choppy, connection-wise.  Not just long posts, but, for me, editing short ones becomes a little frustrating as well.

I recall we used to have a 9am outage for maintenance work on the old boards: at least that was predictable.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 9/7/2021 at 12:37 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Similar experience here in the U.K. to Steve / Marwood.  Last night was very choppy, connection-wise.  Not just long posts, but, for me, editing short ones becomes a little frustrating as well.

I recall we used to have a 9am outage for maintenance work on the old boards: at least that was predictable.

I just managed to post something over at Gold, then went to post a suggestion in Domo's poll thread and got a two minute buffering episode. If that had happened during the Gold post a few moments earlier, I may have lost it (get your jokes in now) and then would have to decide whether to risk doing it again or not bother. It's just after 2pm in the UK and I know tonight between 5 and 7pm the 500 errors will likely start up. So I was lucky to get one 'comic' post in today it seems. And who knows when the next 24 to 48 hour maintenance outage will come? 

It's just not worth it Paul, really - there's enough shyte going on in the world, and our lives, without punishing yourself by visiting a site that crashes every single day you try to use it - a site that is supposed to be your safe haven, a focal point of your hobby.  It's working right now - whoopee. Will it be in an hours time? Who knows. 

On 9/7/2021 at 2:29 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Can't lose what you don't have. ;)

:baiting:

Patience?

On 9/7/2021 at 2:38 PM, wombat said:

Certainly not ideal, but if you have a long post to make you can copy it before you post. Prevent you from having to type it all out again. 

Cheers. Hard to do when they have about twenty resized photos in though, which mine tend to have.... :eek: