• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It appears that WATA and Heritage are colluding to pump up the graded videogame market. What are the implications for OA?
3 3

153 posts in this topic

On 9/7/2021 at 6:19 PM, Bronty said:

Grand cru sounds like Grand Price!   

I prefer Italian wines anyways so I don’t think I’ve ever had one to judge.    Now I want to try one hm   Next I’ll be buying a Dillon PS page! 

Something to be said for a simple bottle of California Simi, or maybe a Riesling, like a cheap Fritz the Cat. 
Every time I think of Dillin, I remember my first show where a box of it could be had for $ 5-10 a page. Dillin PS pages are found in JLA; he never wrote a PS book (but Grell did, a fine artist whose work on the book is on my missing list). Help yourself to my share, please.

On 9/7/2021 at 6:22 PM, Hockeyflow33 said:

Come slum it in the under $300/page group. We're the Morlocks of OA

Nonsense. There is some very good, inexpensive work. Splitting inks from pencils works to your advantage, getting you in the game at half the price.
Hobbies are supposed to be fun; spending gobs of money on this stuff just isn’t fun to me.

On 9/7/2021 at 6:34 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Something to be said for a simple bottle of California Simi, or maybe a Riesling, like a cheap Fritz the Cat. 
Every time I think of Dillin, I remember my first show where a box of it could be had for $ 5-10 a page. Dillin PS pages are found in JLA; he never wrote a PS book (but Grell did, a fine artist whose work on the book is on my missing list). Help yourself to my share, please.

I’m good .   😂 I’ll leave it for you in case you change your mind later.    

I like Cali wines too but I’ve really only had reds.   There’s certainly some very nice German Rieslings that are not expensive however.   Haven’t tried the Cali versions. 

On 9/7/2021 at 4:28 PM, Bronty said:

That's one of the nice things about art right?    No BS with condition, crack and regrade, restoration, whatever else.    Just the item, one of a kind and ready to enjoy without further manipulation (mostly anyways).

aXlXVyW.jpg

OMFFFFFFFFFFFFG.

Mega Man X is one of the hands down BEST GAMES ever.

On 9/7/2021 at 6:41 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Nonsense. There is some very good, inexpensive work. Splitting inks from pencils works to your advantage, getting you in the game at half the price.
Hobbies are supposed to be fun; spending gobs of money on this stuff just isn’t fun to me.

Don't fight it, come join us! 

Morlocks.jpg

On 9/7/2021 at 3:12 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Pretty much. I don’t buy grand cru wines, either. Not worth the money.

I'm going to be thinking about this comparison for a while - wine is my other money-wasting hobby, and so far I haven't learned much from one hobby that applies to the other, except some stuff is overhyped and some stuff slips through the cracks. The prices over in that other hobby are fueled, as here, by people with infinite money, and the rest of us chase QPR, quality to price ratio. There's gotta be an OA QPR lesson here but I haven't had enough coffee to apply it yet. "It's cheap but it speaks to me" is where it starts, I guess. 

On 9/6/2021 at 8:42 PM, tth2 said:

I just did a search on the New York Times and the most recent references I could find to "WATA" and "Heritage" were from Jan 27, 2020 and July 12, 2021, respectively.  None related to this alleged scandal.

Chicago Boy, please post a link to the article you keep referring to.  

I'm just reading this thread chronologically, so, I don't know if this has been answered already, but, Seth Abrahamson is a NYT contributor who also has his own audience on Substackm Twitter, etc. and he has been all over this scandal of late - I'm sure that's who he was referring to.

Edited by delekkerste

On 9/6/2021 at 4:56 PM, inovrmihd said:

Which books are you talking about? It wasn’t any I was bidding on. Thanks.

I consigned an ASM 129 9.8 white pages which sold for $23.5K last week. Last sale at HA was $40K+. IIRC the Mass copy sold for $55K-ish recently.  Many Bronze Age keys have definitely fallen off a sharp cliff recently. 

On 9/8/2021 at 10:37 AM, glendgold said:

I'm going to be thinking about this comparison for a while - wine is my other money-wasting hobby, and so far I haven't learned much from one hobby that applies to the other, except some stuff is overhyped and some stuff slips through the cracks. The prices over in that other hobby are fueled, as here, by people with infinite money, and the rest of us chase QPR, quality to price ratio. There's gotta be an OA QPR lesson here but I haven't had enough coffee to apply it yet. "It's cheap but it speaks to me" is where it starts, I guess. 

All wine is just flavored alcohol. “Quality”, for matters like this, shouldn’t be defined by what others like, but what you like—“it speaks to you”. At least OA lasts indefinitely (with maintenance). Wine is intended as a 1 shot experience. If it works with a meal, good enough.

On 9/8/2021 at 10:40 AM, delekkerste said:

I consigned an ASM 129 9.8 white pages which sold for $23.5K last week. Last sale at HA was $40K+. IIRC the Mass copy sold for $55K-ish recently.  Many Bronze Age keys have definitely fallen off a sharp cliff recently. 

The $41K copy that sold on HA was from the Oregon Coast collection so unless your copy was from a notable collection, its not a just comparison.

Only one month prior to the $41K and $55K sales, HA sold a 9.8 with white pages for $33.6K , and Clink sold similar for $33K the same week.  Those are probably your closest comps.  

But yes, this book has taken a significant drop recently, as most Bronze and Copper keys, semi-keys, minor keys (whatever label you wish to apply) have done.

On 9/8/2021 at 11:20 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

The $41K copy that sold on HA was from the Oregon Coast collection so unless your copy was from a notable collection, its not a just comparison.

It was from the Gene P. Collection of Cool Stuff - unfortunately, CGC refused to note on the label that the book was in close proximity to the original art to the greatest comic of all-time, G.I. Joe #21, for the past 18 years.  Don't know what is wrong with those guys, that is surely more notable than any pedigree designation. hm 

On 9/8/2021 at 9:41 AM, delekkerste said:

It was from the Gene P. Collection of Cool Stuff - unfortunately, CGC refused to note on the label that the book was in close proximity to the original art to the greatest comic of all-time, G.I. Joe #21, for the past 18 years.  Don't know what is wrong with those guys, that is surely more notable than any pedigree designation. hm 

Half the Battle Pedigree