• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It appears that WATA and Heritage are colluding to pump up the graded videogame market. What are the implications for OA?
3 3

153 posts in this topic

On 9/14/2021 at 3:59 AM, Taylor G said:

This word salad does not disguise the fact that all they are offering is a storage facility for slabbed books.  This is SOP in the fine art world. Here, instead of a receipt, you get an NFT.  What's an NFT?  Just an expensive receipt.  Oh and they maintain a (public?) chain of custody, it's the Venmo model of collecting.  

I'd ask if anyone is getting investment advice from their shoeshine boy, except it sounds like we're well past that point.

I know it is just storage and a receipt.  That doesn't mean it won't appeal to "investors" (who for all I know will make good returns). And once you tokenize, isn't the next step fractionalize or "portfolio management/indexation".  My question is whether is if any of this stuff is getting real traction.  Has anyone seriously been burned by Rally Road yet?

On 9/10/2021 at 8:32 AM, vodou said:

Bring it! I am so ready to finally cash out, close up shop for good, and enjoy owning my new planet :) 

I’d like fractional ownership in Vodou’s X-Men art if somebody wants to get that cooking.

Can we limit the initial offering to 100 suckers...err investors please Vodou.

I want to dump my shares when we open ownership pool to tier level 2 1,000 limited investors 😂 

We really are living in strange times.

On 9/14/2021 at 3:33 PM, grapeape said:

I’d like fractional ownership in Vodou’s X-Men art if somebody wants to get that cooking.

Can we limit the initial offering to 100 suckers...err investors please Vodou.

I want to dump my shares when we open ownership pool to tier level 2 1,000 limited investors 😂 

We really are living in strange times.

Hard for me to believe, but no one has suggested that with my Phantom Stranger art. 

On 9/14/2021 at 2:19 PM, inovrmihd said:

I know it is just storage and a receipt.  That doesn't mean it won't appeal to "investors" (who for all I know will make good returns). And once you tokenize, isn't the next step fractionalize or "portfolio management/indexation".  My question is whether is if any of this stuff is getting real traction.  Has anyone seriously been burned by Rally Road yet?

I doubt it.   It’s been impossible not to make money the last couple years buying great or even decent items.   When there’s a downturn eventually and there’s losses, that will be the real test of the viability of the concept.    Right now fractional ownership is easy to sell and profits are even easier to make.    When prices trend down can they buy an item and sell through fractional ownership at a rate which allows them to cover costs and make a profit?

These platforms have to either drop the item for sale at a capitalization greater than their purchase price (or equal to their purchase price while they retain some ownership - same thing) in order to be able to exist long term.    It won’t always be as easy as it is right now. 

On 9/14/2021 at 2:19 PM, inovrmihd said:

Has anyone seriously been burned by Rally Road yet?

Yes.

My friend invested in 10 Rally offerings and was down on 8 of them at one point. IIRC, the biggest loser was the Michael Jordan 1984 signing day jersey, which, even after rebounding 15% in the latest trading window, is still down 38% since Rally first sold it in January 2021. 

The 1985 game-worn Air Jordan 1's are down 45% since being offered in November 2020. The 1996 game-worn Air Jordan 11's are down 25% since January, and that's even after rebounding 20% in the latest trading window. 

There are plenty of offerings with minus signs in front of them...Hermes Crocodile Birkin bag down 22%...2014 Domaine de la Romanee-Conti wine collection down 24%...1993 Jaguar XJ220 down 36%...1980 Lamborghini Countach down 37%...signed copy of JFK's Profiles in Courage down 27%...Signed 1st edition The Great Gatsby down 32%...2000 Pokemon booster box down 30%...2003 SP Authentic LeBron James autographed rookie card down 35%...

On 9/16/2021 at 9:28 AM, delekkerste said:

down 38%...

down 25%...

down 22%...

down 24%...

down 36%...

down 37%...

down 27%...

down 32%...

down 30%...

down 35%...

Superb. Rally is working out perfectly...for Rally.

Their customers...all bagholders. And paying for the privilege (not familiar, but assuming something akin to 'broker' fees here too?)

Remember who made the most during the California Gold Rush...the dude selling shovels and pans.

On 9/16/2021 at 9:28 PM, delekkerste said:

Yes.

My friend invested in 10 Rally offerings and was down on 8 of them at one point. IIRC, the biggest loser was the Michael Jordan 1984 signing day jersey, which, even after rebounding 15% in the latest trading window, is still down 38% since Rally first sold it in January 2021. 

The 1985 game-worn Air Jordan 1's are down 45% since being offered in November 2020. The 1996 game-worn Air Jordan 11's are down 25% since January, and that's even after rebounding 20% in the latest trading window. 

There are plenty of offerings with minus signs in front of them...Hermes Crocodile Birkin bag down 22%...2014 Domaine de la Romanee-Conti wine collection down 24%...1993 Jaguar XJ220 down 36%...1980 Lamborghini Countach down 37%...signed copy of JFK's Profiles in Courage down 27%...Signed 1st edition The Great Gatsby down 32%...2000 Pokemon booster box down 30%...2003 SP Authentic LeBron James autographed rookie card down 35%...

Am I a bad person because stupid people crack me up?

On 9/16/2021 at 11:04 AM, tth2 said:

Not at all. It goes hand-in-hand with schadenfreude: taking pleasure in another person's pain.

Like the way I felt recently when I passed a brand new Ferrari stuck in traffic. He then got into another lane, and fell further behind me. 

What kind of "person of low intelligence"* drives a Ferrari at rush hour on a heavily trafficked road, anyway?

*The word I really typed in was substituted w/o my consent.

Edited by Rick2you2

On 9/16/2021 at 6:28 AM, delekkerste said:

Yes.

Collectibles that any guy off the street would probably recognize, and yet still down (after a big run up I guess). All the while, the only hobby I ever took any real interest in out of pure love and completely devoid of investment considerations, original comic art, seems to be just about bullet proof (so far). What are the odds?

On 9/16/2021 at 11:04 AM, tth2 said:
On 9/16/2021 at 9:28 AM, delekkerste said:

Yes.

Expand  

The question was: Has anyone seriously been burned by Rally Road yet?

I'm interested in knowing if the mentioned losses are exceptions or part of a general trend.  No comic books or comic book art was listed, so how's that been working out ?

On 9/16/2021 at 11:29 AM, stinkininkin said:

Collectibles that any guy off the street would probably recognize, and yet still down (after a big run up I guess). All the while, the only hobby I ever took any real interest in out of pure love and completely devoid of investment considerations, original comic art, seems to be just about bullet proof (so far). What are the odds?

I don't know much about most of those categories but can attest that both the wine and the book are problematic, the equivalent of a B+ piece of art. They're exactly the names you recognize (DRC! Gatsby!) with little asterisks that the people who actually drive those markets know to avoid.

On 9/16/2021 at 2:29 PM, stinkininkin said:

big run up doesn't do it justice though.    Most of the items Gene mentioned were sports.   Taking Jordan RCs as an example, they went from what, 30k precovid, to 700k, and now down to what, 300k or something?  something like that?   Even if you ignore the high point its still an incredible 10x run up in two years.    Its easy to have no down ticks when you haven't had much uptick.

On 9/16/2021 at 2:29 PM, stinkininkin said:

I was talking to someone at the show recently in NJ, and he said Golden Age art (with some exceptions) is down. Non-choice/low quality Silver Age stuff doesn’t seem to move too well, so it may (or has) begun to head down. 

On 9/16/2021 at 12:11 PM, Rick2you2 said:

I was talking to someone at the show recently in NJ, and he said Golden Age art (with some exceptions) is down. Non-choice/low quality Silver Age stuff doesn’t seem to move too well, so it may (or has) begun to head down. 

Can somebody tell a couple a dudes north of the I-5 freeway that mass quantities of dead stacks of 3-10x fmv silver age will not come alive with annual 10%+ price bumps. 

Edited by grapeape

On 9/16/2021 at 3:53 PM, grapeape said:

Can somebody tell a couple a dudes north of the I-5 freeway that mass quantities of dead stacks of 3-10x fmv silver age will not come alive with annual 10%+ price bumps. 

Some of the better artists are also making me suspicious about their future. Other than art with Spider-man in it, how has Ross Andru faired in sales lately? Not pricing, real sales, like auctions or private sales? Some of it seems to sit around for a long time.

On 9/16/2021 at 5:48 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Some of the better artists are also making me suspicious about their future. Other than art with Spider-man in it, how has Ross Andru faired in sales lately? Not pricing, real sales, like auctions or private sales? Some of it seems to sit around for a long time.

I mean…. you could replace Andru with Ditko and does the answer even change much?   How hot is 70s Ditko charlton art?   This is true of most any artists.   The subject matter trumps the artist itself. 

Barks Landscapes anyone?   

Edited by Bronty

CAN'T FIND THE ORIGINAL POST OF THIS--

On 9/16/2021 at 11:29 AM, stinkininkin said:

While I am a big believer in the "collectibles that any guy off the street would probably recognize" that belief does NOT extend to brand new stuff created in order to be a collectible.  Anything that touts itself as a "Limited edition" or "variant", "dealer incentive", "exclusive" or has the word "collectible" printed right on it.  Same goes for sports items used or worn and/or signed with the express intent of being packaged and sold as a collectible.   

On 9/16/2021 at 4:34 PM, bluechip said:
CAN'T FIND THE ORIGINAL POST OF THIS--

On 9/16/2021 at 11:29 AM, stinkininkin said:

While I am a big believer in the "collectibles that any guy off the street would probably recognize" that belief does NOT extend to brand new stuff created in order to be a collectible.  Anything that touts itself as a "Limited edition" or "variant", "dealer incentive", "exclusive" or has the word "collectible" printed right on it.  Same goes for sports items used or worn and/or signed with the express intent of being packaged and sold as a collectible.   

If true, that's a worthwhile distinction I hadn't thought about. Sounds right to me.