• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

J.R. JR. on ASM

24 posts in this topic

Hey bud,

It was Amazing Spider-man #204. Here's a link to the comics.org site with the reference:

http://www.comics.org/search.lasso?query...p;Submit=Search

Unfortunately, they never got a decent inker for him on that run. Jim Mooney did his very best to ruin JR jr's pencils on more than one occasion.

Hey bud,

It was Amazing Spider-man #204. Here's a link to the comics.org site with the reference:

Unfortunately, they never got a decent inker for him on that run. Jim Mooney did his very best to ruin JR jr's pencils on more than one occasion.

That's probably why people remember his work with Layton on Iron Man as being better -- his pencils on ASM were good, but I agree that the inking did him no favors. Plus the Romita/Layton Iron Man run is just classic stuff -- amazing art + riveting stories.

The scripts in some of those early 200s ASM were forgettable. I think they started hitting their stride with the Juggernaut arc, and cranked it up a couple notches with the Hobgoblin run.

I always found it interesting how JR Jr's style changed when he started doing his Daredevil and 2nd Iron Man run -- he really developed that rough, thick, thuggish character style. Some of my favorite work by him is the DD Man Without Fear mini, his Iron Man run in the 250s and 260s, and his Thor V2 run.

the more interesting stuff he did was on DD when A. Innocenti was writting, along with the I.Man stuff too...but i never thought (and even less now) him to be a proeminent/master artist.

quantity over quality...

way overrated imho.

regards

ps- the sentry cover is some of the worst covers around and the wolverine run was mostly saved by the talents of Isanove

Hey bud,

It was a heck of a lot better than his more recent work with Scott Hanna. Now there's a guy who really knows how to ruin some nice pencils. How long does he take to ink the average page I wonder, my guess is about 30 minutes. foreheadslap.gif

the more interesting stuff he did was on DD when A. Innocenti was writting, along with the I.Man stuff too...but i never thought (and even less now) him to be a proeminent/master artist.

quantity over quality...

way overrated imho.

regards

ps- the sentry cover is some of the worst covers around and the wolverine run was mostly saved by the talents of Isanove

My thoughts exactly.....his earlier X-Men stuff (circa #200) was OK (at best), but lately...ugh....

My thoughts exactly.....his earlier X-Men stuff (circa #200) was OK (at best), but lately...ugh....

JR Jr definately peaked in the 1980's.

I liked his original run on Amazing Spider-Man when his style was more like his father's and, as others have said, his work on Iron Man with Bob Layton was great. He also did some pretty good stuff with Dan Green on the X-Men in the 170-210 range, some of the covers in particular were fantastic. cloud9.gif

His stuff on DD, Punisher and subsequently , seems to have gotten looser and looser, with much less attention to detail and correct anatomy. frown.gif

JR Jr definately peaked in the 1980's.

I liked his original run on Amazing Spider-Man when his style was more like his father's and, as others have said, his work on Iron Man with Bob Layton was great. He also did some pretty good stuff with Dan Green on the X-Men in the 170-210 range, some of the covers in particular were fantastic. cloud9.gif

His stuff on DD, Punisher and subsequently , seems to have gotten looser and looser, with much less attention to detail and correct anatomy. frown.gif

I liked his thuggish stuff from the 90s. It was a decision he made artistically -- I don't know for sure but I think he was trying to separate himself from the Liefeld and Jim Lee clones of the day.

Thor Volume 2 rocked -- especially the Dark Gods story arc and the Thanos/Mangog battle royale. Awesome work! thumbsup2.gif

Hey bud,

That's probably why people remember his work with Layton on Iron Man as being better -- his pencils on ASM were good, but I agree that the inking did him no favors. Plus the Romita/Layton Iron Man run is just classic stuff -- amazing art + riveting stories.

The scripts in some of those early 200s ASM were forgettable. I think they started hitting their stride with the Juggernaut arc, and cranked it up a couple notches with the Hobgoblin run.

I always found it interesting how JR Jr's style changed when he started doing his Daredevil and 2nd Iron Man run -- he really developed that rough, thick, thuggish character style. Some of my favorite work by him is the DD Man Without Fear mini, his Iron Man run in the 250s and 260s, and his Thor V2 run.

So you liked that 2nd DD run in the 250s with Typhoid Mary Etc. you know I hated it when It was on the stands - I've kind awarmed to the loose sketchy feel a bit - it was very different. He carried it on to X-Men in the eary 300s as well and I didnt like it for that book AT ALL.. sumo.gif

Hey bud,

So you liked that 2nd DD run in the 250s with Typhoid Mary Etc. you know I hated it when It was on the stands - I've kind awarmed to the loose sketchy feel a bit - it was very different. He carried it on to X-Men in the eary 300s as well and I didnt like it for that book AT ALL.. sumo.gif

I did like the DD run (still do like it!) with the Typhoid Mary, Inhumans, Mephisto, Silver Surfer story arc. It was odd -- an odd series of story arcs but his art worked for it well, I think -- and he really nailed the Man Without Fear mini-series. I liked his Iron Man work and his Thor Volume 2. I agree with you, though, Jason, I didn't think his style was particularly well-matched for the X-men. Maybe for Bishop and Colossus, but I thought that Nightcrawler was too thick. Still, YEAH == I liked his work, what's it to ya?? sumo.gifsumo.gif

Actually he did a backup story in Amazing Spider-Man Annual 4 in 1970.

I don't think so...

I believe his first work is in Amazing Spider-Man Annual #11 from 1977. He did a short back-up story in that issue. Annual #4 came out in '67, when John was still just a lad, too young to be drawing anything publishable just yet!

John Jr.'s style has certainly evolved over the years, which I think is a good thing. He seemed to go 'chunky/blocky' when he took over DD & on into his 2nd stint on Iron Man. Now he seems to have gone 'slim' again, but with a rougher look. Sometimes I really like his pages & sometimes I don't. One thing I do appreciate, however, is that he does get his work done on time.