• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Comics Aren't Just For Kids! in UPC Box - List?

8 posts in this topic

On 9/6/2021 at 4:20 PM, TIA23 said:

Is there a list like the "DC Universe Editions" from the "DC Comics Aren't Just For Kids!" in the UPC Box

01010101.jpg

I've never heard of anyone trying to make such a list, but it would be an interesting subset of DCs to identify.  Get the list started by doing some research and posting a preliminary list and I'll bet others will chime in to help you add to it!

Superman collector here.  Off hand I know this was the direct edition 1st print of a number of books, but also the higher printing indicator on a few books too.  The higher printings I recall off-hand are;

Superman(1987): 19, 20, 21, 23, 24, 25 (2nd and 3rd printings on all 6)

I recall those issues in particular as I had a devil of a time finding the 2nd prints, they fall into that lovely hole of very rare and completely worthless.  The 3rd printings seem to be about as common as the 1st prints (which have a different logo).

recalling more now, and the site won't let me edit.  I've heard these called DC tombstones, I always thought due to the cover to AoS 444 (I believe that is the regular direct cover for that issue).

Also willing to bet this was the stock UPC symbol for the box for a certain date range, regardless of printing.  The ones I mentioned above were available in 3-packs.  The 'scarcity' may be more of an indexing issue as most sites don't list any printings for 2 or more of those 6.  (didn't help that the first time I found them the ebay seller destroyed them by packaging them loose in a manila envelope, arrived coverless)

AoS444-2.jpg

On 9/9/2021 at 11:00 PM, kenaran said:

recalling more now, and the site won't let me edit.  I've heard these called DC tombstones, I always thought due to the cover to AoS 444 (I believe that is the regular direct cover for that issue).

I imagine it's more because the shape of the letters is defined by the drop shadow, as the color of the letters and the background are both white. Much like a tombstone, where everything is the same color but you can identify the letters based on how light falls on it

On 9/10/2021 at 5:41 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I imagine it's more because the shape of the letters is defined by the drop shadow, as the color of the letters and the background are both white. Much like a tombstone, where everything is the same color but you can identify the letters based on how light falls on it

So Most "DC Comics Aren't Just For Kids" are 2nd and 3rd Printings? + here and there 1st Prints?