• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Our Recent Experience Selling Comics Through Mycomicshop
23 23

1,109 posts in this topic

On 9/6/2021 at 8:09 PM, Finhead said:

Do they have a minimum/maximum amount of books you can send in at a time? 

:foryou:  No although the more books you send the lower the shipping cost is per book.

I have a lot of magazines and fanzines that I'm debating sending for direct sale to them but not sure it's worth it after paying postage.

On 9/6/2021 at 7:33 PM, thehumantorch said:

Questions?

How was shipping to them and what's the turnaround for them to grade the raws and list any books you send to them?

On 9/6/2021 at 9:01 PM, thehumantorch said:

That's not a question :makepoint:

Is this a nice thorough review with helpful information?  Should I thank you for posting it?

On 9/6/2021 at 8:14 PM, thehumantorch said:

:foryou:  No although the more books you send the lower the shipping cost is per book.

I have a lot of magazines and fanzines that I'm debating sending for direct sale to them but not sure it's worth it after paying postage.

Thanks Dave, now you have me thinking about sending a few in to try it out. 

On 9/6/2021 at 7:30 PM, thehumantorch said:

Artboy99 and I have been selling at shows for many years but with no shows thanks to Mr Covid decided to send some books to mycomicshop.  I've had a few questions about our experience with mycomicshop thus this thread.

We generally don't like selling online.  We don't want to run ebay auctions or Bins, pack and ship individual books, and have to deal with potential fraud or lost packages or returns.  We decided to try mycomicshop because their consignment fee is quite reasonable 8-10%, they have a good reputation, and they list both on their website and on ebay and they have a lot of followers on both.  We've seen a lot of over-priced consignment books on mycomicshop so our goal was to price around market and lower than other consignees.

mycomicshop will take any CGC graded book on consignment and any book on their online buying database that meets their minimum grade for that book.  To be safe I only sent raw books that they'd take on consignment in any grade. 

Once mycomicshop receives the books and scans them and grades the raws you can set Bin prices or move them into an auction.  When setting a price their website shows GPA, current books on their site for consignment and how long they've been for consignment, current books for auction on their site, and previous sales on their site.  Their website is very slick and a lot of thought was put into it's design.  Also keep in mind when setting a price that mycomicshop adds a small buyer's premium.  You can also set if you will take offers and what percentage of your listing price you will auto-reject offers.  At any time you can go back to their site and change prices, change what offers you will auto-reject, and move books to an auction.  Once again, it's a very well thought out website and I was very impressed.  

We sent the following 17 books.  6 raw and 11 CGC graded.

Comic Reader 179 CGC 9.8
New Mutants  87 CGC 9.6
Star Wars Legacy 1 CGC 9.6
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man 1 CGC 9.8 Pichelli Variant
Star Wars (2015 Marvel) 1 CGC 9.8 Quesada Sketch
Eternals 3 FN+
Superboy  68 CGC 6.0
Death of Wolverine1C CGC 9.4 Quesada Sketch
Amazing Fantasy 1DF.SIGNED FN+ 6.5
Amazing Spider-Man 569C CGC 9.4 2nd Print
Uncanny X-Men 244 VF 8.0
Edge of Spider-Verse 2D NM- 9.2 Signed by artist Robbi Rodriguez
Eternals 2 FN+ 6.5
Evil Ernie 4 FN- 5.5
Thor 337 CGC 9.6 Canadian Price Variant
Action Comics 102 CGC 4.5
Batman The Dark Knight Returns  1 CGC 9.8

These are sorted.  First to sell at the bottom and books (4) that haven't sold yet at top.  13 of our 17 books sold within 2 months.

Looking at what sold and when I can make a few observations.  Action 102 4.5 is a book that we picked up in a collection 5 years ago and nobody has showed any interest or made any offers on it at any show we've set up at - 50 plus shows.  In my opinion it's a perfect book to sell through mycomicshop because they had no other copies for sale, it's not super expensive yet it's old, and they have a large buyer pool.  It sold for about 30% more than we were asking locally.  Batman Dark Knight Returns and Thor 337 sold quickly because they were the highest graded or tied for highest graded copies on ebay and are popular and we had them at reasonable prices.  Next are raw books which sell well because mycomicshop has a reputation for tight grading.  The Superboy 68 took a while to sell.  I had originally priced it at $1650 but after a low-ball offer I raised it out of spite to $1900 and almost immediately got an offer of $1700.

The only problem I've had is with their offer notifications.  Shortly after listing I got an email offer notification on the Thor 337 which I accepted and then I didn't get another offer for weeks.  I went to their site and dropped my offer auto-reject from 30% to 80% on all my books and still didn't get any offers.  Then I noticed a link to "Review Offers I've received" and found 50 offers that I'd never received notifications for in any of my email folders.  I contacted mycomicshop and they told me to check my "Review Offers I've Received" every day and I've received email notices of all offers since then.

mycomicshop has paid me within one day of receiving payment.  They've sold books that didn't sell for me.  The sell through percentage is high and the prices are fair and I consider the consignment fees very reasonable.  If I was selling a high demand key or a rare GA book that might benefit from a high visibility, competitive auction I might opt for a auction house like Heritage but for a lot of books I think mycomicshop is a very good venue.  

:applause:

On 9/6/2021 at 8:24 PM, Finhead said:

Thanks Dave, now you have me thinking about sending a few in to try it out. 

Yes, thanks very much.

I'm getting closer to whittling down my collection. My goal is 1000 or less by age 50. I don't want a hassle when selling my comicbooks and I don't just want to just unload them cheap. Selling could fund the few keys I'm still after which I can't afford otherwise. I've been thinking about @mycomicshop for a while and this post will lead me to investigate further. In fact, I've spent some time tonight checking out their consignment pages. Thanks again for your service to the boards.

how do they send you your money? by cheque? e-transfer? i’m in canada too and wondering how you receive the funds? what if it’s a large amt? won’t a large deposit to your bank acct flag the ccra? are they gonna want to call it income and come after you for taxes?

Edited by alwaysbronze