• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Our Recent Experience Selling Comics Through Mycomicshop
23 23

1,141 posts in this topic

On 1/1/2023 at 2:01 AM, jimjum12 said:

.... I often wonder when the idea first manifested and the work began .... my God ... how many, many hours it must have taken. It is one of the best reference tools on comics in the world, I've used it often. GOD BLESS... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Second this. Amazing source.

On 12/31/2022 at 11:13 AM, dover said:

This is just my opinion, measure it against your goals. Your website has moments where the use of the command "about:blank" (and other applicable coding) would be very helpful. This command, when used on websites opens a new page in a new browsing tab rather than over writing the same tab. For instance, when looking at a book on your site, there is a tab for E-Bay. However, if I click on that link, your site goes away and E-Bay opens up. I think in this case it would be better to open a new browsing tab so that I can easily get back to where I was on your site. And I understand the "back button" but that gives less control of what page you want to view. Some people hate having a new tab open, I like it. 

Have you tried this recently? I wondered if for some reason a middle-click didn't work on those links, so I went to try it, and discovered that now a new tab opened with a regular left-click. So maybe your suggestion was taken?

On 1/8/2023 at 11:24 PM, ttfitz said:

Have you tried this recently? I wondered if for some reason a middle-click didn't work on those links, so I went to try it, and discovered that now a new tab opened with a regular left-click. So maybe your suggestion was taken?

Yes, I noticed that as well over the course of the weekend. For me, it is a fantastic change and I used this all weekend while working on my database.

If you are just watching an auction, no. At least I've never gotten anything unless I have bid on an item and been outbid. But if you are watching items in the "view my bids" you can see the bids coming in.                                                                

On 9/6/2021 at 9:30 PM, thehumantorch said:

Artboy99 and I have been selling at shows for many years but with no shows thanks to Mr Covid decided to send some books to mycomicshop.  I've had a few questions about our experience with mycomicshop thus this thread.

We generally don't like selling online.  We don't want to run ebay auctions or Bins, pack and ship individual books, and have to deal with potential fraud or lost packages or returns.  We decided to try mycomicshop because their consignment fee is quite reasonable 8-10%, they have a good reputation, and they list both on their website and on ebay and they have a lot of followers on both.  We've seen a lot of over-priced consignment books on mycomicshop so our goal was to price around market and lower than other consignees.

mycomicshop will take any CGC graded book on consignment and any book on their online buying database that meets their minimum grade for that book.  To be safe I only sent raw books that they'd take on consignment in any grade. 

Once mycomicshop receives the books and scans them and grades the raws you can set Bin prices or move them into an auction.  When setting a price their website shows GPA, current books on their site for consignment and how long they've been for consignment, current books for auction on their site, and previous sales on their site.  Their website is very slick and a lot of thought was put into it's design.  Also keep in mind when setting a price that mycomicshop adds a small buyer's premium.  You can also set if you will take offers and what percentage of your listing price you will auto-reject offers.  At any time you can go back to their site and change prices, change what offers you will auto-reject, and move books to an auction.  Once again, it's a very well thought out website and I was very impressed.  

We sent the following 17 books.  6 raw and 11 CGC graded.

Comic Reader 179 CGC 9.8
New Mutants  87 CGC 9.6
Star Wars Legacy 1 CGC 9.6
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man 1 CGC 9.8 Pichelli Variant
Star Wars (2015 Marvel) 1 CGC 9.8 Quesada Sketch
Eternals 3 FN+
Superboy  68 CGC 6.0
Death of Wolverine1C CGC 9.4 Quesada Sketch
Amazing Fantasy 1DF.SIGNED FN+ 6.5
Amazing Spider-Man 569C CGC 9.4 2nd Print
Uncanny X-Men 244 VF 8.0
Edge of Spider-Verse 2D NM- 9.2 Signed by artist Robbi Rodriguez
Eternals 2 FN+ 6.5
Evil Ernie 4 FN- 5.5
Thor 337 CGC 9.6 Canadian Price Variant
Action Comics 102 CGC 4.5
Batman The Dark Knight Returns  1 CGC 9.8

These are sorted.  First to sell at the bottom and books (4) that haven't sold yet at top.  13 of our 17 books sold within 2 months.

Looking at what sold and when I can make a few observations.  Action 102 4.5 is a book that we picked up in a collection 5 years ago and nobody has showed any interest or made any offers on it at any show we've set up at - 50 plus shows.  In my opinion it's a perfect book to sell through mycomicshop because they had no other copies for sale, it's not super expensive yet it's old, and they have a large buyer pool.  It sold for about 30% more than we were asking locally.  Batman Dark Knight Returns and Thor 337 sold quickly because they were the highest graded or tied for highest graded copies on ebay and are popular and we had them at reasonable prices.  Next are raw books which sell well because mycomicshop has a reputation for tight grading.  The Superboy 68 took a while to sell.  I had originally priced it at $1650 but after a low-ball offer I raised it out of spite to $1900 and almost immediately got an offer of $1700.

The only problem I've had is with their offer notifications.  Shortly after listing I got an email offer notification on the Thor 337 which I accepted and then I didn't get another offer for weeks.  I went to their site and dropped my offer auto-reject from 30% to 80% on all my books and still didn't get any offers.  Then I noticed a link to "Review Offers I've received" and found 50 offers that I'd never received notifications for in any of my email folders.  I contacted mycomicshop and they told me to check my "Review Offers I've Received" every day and I've received email notices of all offers since then.

mycomicshop has paid me within one day of receiving payment.  They've sold books that didn't sell for me.  The sell through percentage is high and the prices are fair and I consider the consignment fees very reasonable.  If I was selling a high demand key or a rare GA book that might benefit from a high visibility, competitive auction I might opt for a auction house like Heritage but for a lot of books I think mycomicshop is a very good venue.  

@thehumantorch, if you're not already aware, Buddy featured your writeup here in the weekly MCS newsletter.

Just wanted to say that my most recent submission only took about two weeks for MCS to receive and enter into the system, so, not bad at all!

On 1/10/2023 at 1:18 PM, evilskip said:

If you are just watching an auction, no. At least I've never gotten anything unless I have bid on an item and been outbid. But if you are watching items in the "view my bids" you can see the bids coming in.                                                                

That's what I thought -- but didn't know if there was an option I didn't click.

I was only watching an item and completely forgot it was ending and therefore didn't bid.

I would think it would only result in more bidding/commission for an email reminder to at least be sent that morning saying the auction is ending soon.

On 1/11/2023 at 11:30 PM, thehumantorch said:

Really?

Yes, essentially verbatim from your posts.

Here's the only lead in to the extensive quotation:

"The following comments were originally posted September 6, 2021 on a CGC forums page. As you will see, the writer located in Canada does an excellent job of explaining how our consignment option works."

Which you did!

On 1/11/2023 at 10:29 AM, manetteska said:

That's what I thought -- but didn't know if there was an option I didn't click.

I was only watching an item and completely forgot it was ending and therefore didn't bid.

I would think it would only result in more bidding/commission for an email reminder to at least be sent that morning saying the auction is ending soon.

MCS sends me reminder emails of their auctions since, for example, I have bid on several comic books in their current auction. Based on the email segment pasted below, I only receive them because I have bid. As you note, it would be beneficial to MCS to send such emails regardless of whether one has placed a bid.

Hi,

This email is being sent to you because you have previously bid in the MyComicShop auctions. If you do not want to receive any further emails about our auctions, click here to unsubscribe.

Shown below are some highlights from the 1960s-1970s H-Z lots ending Wednesday followed by a complete list of all lots ending Wednesday. Visit the January Prime Auction to see more.

Auction Highlights: 1960s-1970s H-Z Lots

On 1/12/2023 at 4:56 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

MCS sends me reminder emails of their auctions since, for example, I have bid on several comic books in their current auction. Based on the email segment pasted below, I only receive them because I have bid. As you note, it would be beneficial to MCS to send such emails regardless of whether one has placed a bid.

Hi,

This email is being sent to you because you have previously bid in the MyComicShop auctions. If you do not want to receive any further emails about our auctions, click here to unsubscribe.

Shown below are some highlights from the 1960s-1970s H-Z lots ending Wednesday followed by a complete list of all lots ending Wednesday. Visit the January Prime Auction to see more.

Auction Highlights: 1960s-1970s H-Z Lots

Yep, I receive those.

What I think would be beneficial is if I am active enough to click to watch an item in an MCS auction, I get an email at least the day that specific auction ends to remind me. Maybe even put in the email the specific item(s) I am watching, current price, end time, etc.

Has anyone noticed their new CGC slabs coming back consistently now with scuff marks due to the new FedEx shipping? (And this being consistently noted by MCS grading when entered into their system?) 

My recent CGC shipments have all been coming in beaten up, dirty, and with soft cardboard (even before the rains) which means the contents are shifting and rubbing up against each other resulting in tears to the (now thicker) plastic bags holding each slab.

I bought a book at mcs and had them send it to cgc for grading. ToS94. This was sooooooo long ago. I don't have an item # on my page so I do not know how I can check on its' progress. Can I get some help through this thread perhaps? (Sean W)

On 1/12/2023 at 12:32 PM, sckao said:

Has anyone noticed their new CGC slabs coming back consistently now with scuff marks due to the new FedEx shipping? (And this being consistently noted by MCS grading when entered into their system?) 

My recent CGC shipments have all been coming in beaten up, dirty, and with soft cardboard (even before the rains) which means the contents are shifting and rubbing up against each other resulting in tears to the (now thicker) plastic bags holding each slab.

Yep I've noticed this too. I've had MCS reholder CGC books over the last few months and some come back with the MCS Slab condition notes of scuffing or minor side/edge crack(s). I'm not sure what the cause is because I'm not opening the boxes, so I can't comment on the FedEx shipping.

Edited by TheGeneral

On 1/13/2023 at 9:36 AM, TheGeneral said:

Yep I've noticed this too. I've had MCS reholder CGC books over the last few months and some come back with the MCS Slab condition notes of scuffing or minor side/edge crack(s). I'm not sure what the cause is because I'm not opening the boxes, so I can't comment on the FedEx shipping.

On 1/12/2023 at 10:32 AM, sckao said:

I’ve noticed this as well. Never had this issue until my last batch of 20 books I got back from CGC in October (which was the first time receiving via FedEx instead of USPS Registered Mail). I only noticed some scuffing when I inspected the books, but once they were repacked and sent over to MCS, 5 or 6 of them were noted with either scuffing or minor side/edge cracks. I can’t say for sure with 100% confidence if the issue is either the packaging CGC uses or the way FedEx handles the package or a combination of both.

On 1/13/2023 at 8:28 AM, Bird said:

I bought a book at mcs and had them send it to cgc for grading. ToS94. This was sooooooo long ago. I don't have an item # on my page so I do not know how I can check on its' progress. Can I get some help through this thread perhaps? (Sean W)

Contacting our consignment department at consign@mycomicshop.com would be the better way to get support for something like this rather than posting here.

We shipped the group that includes your book to CGC March 2 2022 and CGC shows that invoice as received April 5 2022. It's an economy tier group and the current status says Grading/Quality Control. Based on the date received looks like your group should be right on the cusp of finishing and shipping. There are economy groups just before it that are finished, and groups right after it that are not done yet.

On 1/17/2023 at 11:31 AM, mycomicshop said:

like your group should be right on the cusp of finishing and shipping.

thanks!

M.O.D.O.K is coming! I hope cgc gets this back to you so we can both make a little $ off that giant big headed freak!