• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Our Recent Experience Selling Comics Through Mycomicshop
23 23

1,109 posts in this topic

On 3/12/2023 at 9:18 AM, SeniorSurfer said:

A question:  Would this be applied immediately to books that are in stock or would they continue under the older policy when they were accepted (currently I believe the guidelines were that a book could remain in consignment for 2 years if over 1K and up to one year if less than 1K) ?

LOL, just drop your price and move the book.

On 3/12/2023 at 8:18 AM, SeniorSurfer said:

A question:  Would this be applied immediately to books that are in stock or would they continue under the older policy when they were accepted (currently I believe the guidelines were that a book could remain in consignment for 2 years if over 1K and up to one year if less than 1K) ?

Yes, any items already in the system/already submitted under the old terms, could remain in stock under the existing terms--12 months under $1K market value and 24 months over $1K market value. The start date for that is the date the item was originally filed, so any item that's already past the 12 month or 24 month mark would move into the new system anyway. We always try to create a smooth transition for existing consignments when updating policies.

On 3/13/2023 at 9:42 AM, stock_rotation said:

LOL, just drop your price and move the book.

I don't usually post books there with prices as I just put them out on the MCS Prime Auctions.   I might only come up half-way against the one year deadline if I have to skip one or two quarters due to a similar book already scheduled and it has to sit until there's an opening available.  But hey... for that extraordinarily astute, insightful piece of advice,

Thankie.gif

@mycomicshop

From this week's MCS newsletter ...

Update to "Make an Offer" timing: orders now due in 4 days, not 7

If you have ever used our website to make an offer on a comic where the consignor accepts offers, please be aware that we have shortened the time window in which your order must be turned in after a consignor accepts your offer. Previously the deadline to submit your order for an accepted offer was seven days after acceptance. We have now shortened that a bit to four days.

We made this change in response to feedback from some of our consignors. Buyers like having longer to pay, but sellers don't like their items being tied up for a long time waiting to be paid for, when in some cases the buyer making the offer doesn't follow through with payment for the offer they made. We do our best to strike the right balance between what buyers want and what sellers want, and in this case I agree that four days feels like a reasonable amount of time to turn in your order. If you're not ready to purchase within 4 days, you should probably hold off on making the offer until you're ready.

THANK YOU, Conan!  Now if only something similar could be done about deadbeat bidders on the Auction side of the house :wavingwhiteflag:

Anybody that doesn't pay for auction wins already gets blocked. I don't think we generally have more or fewer deadbeat bidders than eBay or other auction venues--I think it's all about the same. The problem is that the more steps we theoretically could take to make it harder for people to be deadbeat bidders, the more people you turn away who aren't willing to jump through your hoops, and fewer total bidders means worse prices.

For example, we could require bidders to make a $100 deposit before they can bid. Fail to pay for your auction wins, lose your deposit. That would be a good incentive to not bid unless you're serious, but plenty of legitimate bidders would pass on participating.

Am always open to suggestions for measures that would discourage non-payment without being a turn off to legit bidders.

On 3/30/2023 at 4:07 PM, mycomicshop said:

Anybody that doesn't pay for auction wins already gets blocked.

What about when a person makes an offer that is accepted by the seller....but doesn't pay after the 4 day time limit?

Does the person that made the offer get blocked as well?

Or, is there at least a limit on the number of accepted offers they can flake on before they do get blocked?

Is there a way to find out why a few books are being sent out for recasing? I'd really like to know if the package was damaged because I had insurance on it. Kind of frustrating to just see them sent off with no email notification whatsoever. This issue is notorious for creating small newtonlike rings when slabbed due to the cover paper. The thing is you can just jiggle the book a little and they go away. I suspect I'm probably going to be billed for this too.

On 4/5/2023 at 2:00 PM, Tnexus said:

Is there a way to find out why a few books are being sent out for recasing? I'd really like to know if the package was damaged because I had insurance on it. Kind of frustrating to just see them sent off with no email notification whatsoever. This issue is notorious for creating small newtonlike rings when slabbed due to the cover paper. The thing is you can just jiggle the book a little and they go away. I suspect I'm probably going to be billed for this too.

This happened to me about a month or so ago.  One of the slabs I sent in for consignment was sent back to CGC for recasing.  There was no charge.  I could have called Este to find out if it arrived damaged but as long as it came back with the same grade (which it did) I didn't feel the need to bother her.   But if you really want to know, you can always call Este and either she or someone on her team would probably be happy to tell you.

Edited by workingdog
Added text

On 4/5/2023 at 12:06 PM, workingdog said:

This happened to me about a month or so ago.  One of the slabs I sent in for consignment was sent back to CGC for recasing.  There was no charge.  I could have called Este to find out if it arrived damaged but as long as it came back with the same grade (which it did) I didn't feel the need to bother her.   But if you really want to know, you can always call Este and either she or someone on her team would probably be happy to tell you.

Your recasing only took one month? MCS sent a slab I consigned for recasing last September and it still hasn't returned from CGC. :tonofbricks:

On 4/5/2023 at 2:29 PM, Black_Adam said:

Your recasing only took one month? MCS sent a slab I consigned for recasing last September and it still hasn't returned from CGC. :tonofbricks:

Ouch - sorry to hear.  I would definitely give Este a call. 

On 4/5/2023 at 12:31 PM, workingdog said:

Ouch - sorry to hear.  I would definitely give Este a call. 

I have already contacted the consignment department (I try not to specifically pester Este) and Andrea said they will reach out to CGC for an update. That was 5 days ago. :frown:

On 4/5/2023 at 2:38 PM, Black_Adam said:

I have already contacted the consignment department (I try not to specifically pester Este) and Andrea said they will reach out to CGC for an update. That was 5 days ago. :frown:

Oh, she doesn't bite.  Go ahead, call her.  You should have seen the lovely write-up Conan did on Este in this week's MCS newsletter. 

On 4/5/2023 at 12:44 PM, workingdog said:

Oh, she doesn't bite.  Go ahead, call her.  You should have seen the lovely write-up Conan did on Este in this week's MCS newsletter. 

I have dealt with Este many, many times over the years and she is awesome. However, I am heeding Conan's most recent request made in this very same thread:

"If you are emailing Este as an individual, I'd recommend instead using consign@mycomicshop.com, which is the group contact point for everything consignment related that is fielded by multiple people, including Este."