• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

San Diego Comic Con International Nov 26-28 2021
1 1

95 posts in this topic

On 10/3/2021 at 8:23 PM, Robot Man said:

I love Sal but not enough to drive down to SD and pay $150 to say Hi.

So we got Sal, Harley, Jamie Graham and Angelo? 

I haven’t looked but has SDCC posted the vendor list, guests or programs yet? 

I won't be there. I am holding off until next summer. From what I understood from him this weekend in Chicago, Terry O'Neil is not setting up. 

On 9/30/2021 at 5:50 PM, Robot Man said:

Wow, that's a good chunk of good dealers. Was hoping for maybe Bedrock, Dale Roberts, A-1, Jamie Newbold SO CA comics (who lives in SD) and Steve Ritter at Worldwide as well as a few others (although, I just saw most of them at Torpedo a couple months ago). What about Harley? If he isn't there, it isn't a comic show. 

Traveling for me is out for a while so I can only hope for Terry O's show in Jan or maybe WonderCon in April (if it is still going on). :sorry:

Jamie Newbold (SoCalComics) confirmed he won't be there.

He lives in San Diego too.

I live in San Diego.  Anyone get the Ace Parking group txts for the parking?  This is the 1st time I have ever been shut out.  Anyone have an extra email group # I can use?  Next year I better not get shut out.  Thanks, Nick

On 10/26/2021 at 11:10 AM, TerrysComics said:

Jamie Newbold (SoCalComics) confirmed he won't be there.

He lives in San Diego too.

I might not go either...for free...it just not seem to have any "energy" to it....is any board member going?

Edited by Mmehdy

Thanks for the heads up.

Looks like the best they got for vintage comic dealers is Harley, Graham Crackers, Torpedo and Sal in the Redbeard booth. I have picked them all clean snd could probably see them all locally on a fairly regular basis.

SDCC had reached a new low in the “comic book” scene.

Time to change their name to “Pop Culture” or “Media Con”.

Not worth the drive and expense to me. A real bummer. We could really use a decent show in SO CA...

Most dealers are having a heck of a time restocking and sell any decent books as fast as they get them. Most of them will be picking the room at set up so, as collectors, the increased costs will be passed on to us.

You are lucky enough to live in the area. I will be paying $5.00+ a gallon for gas and driving down from LA. Hotel will be triple the usual cost. Eating out and parking if I can get it, won’t be cheap. Add in the cost of $150 for a 3 day pass when I probably will be done in a half a day, just isn’t worth it.

Hopefully, you will find “that guy” who is having a bad weekend and needs to blow out his stock to cover his expenses. 

My only hope is WonderCon goes off in April and brings in more quality dealers. Terry O has already canceled his Jan show again. 

On 11/17/2021 at 11:18 AM, Robot Man said:

Thanks for the heads up.

Looks like the best they got for vintage comic dealers is Harley, Graham Crackers, Torpedo and Sal in the Redbeard booth. I have picked them all clean snd could probably see them all locally on a fairly regular basis.

SDCC had reached a new low in the “comic book” scene.

Time to change their name to “Pop Culture” or “Media Con”.

Not worth the drive and expense to me. A real bummer. We could really use a decent show in SO CA...

I am a local, and  this looks pure and simple as a money grab by SDCC. This is a joke of con, I cannot understand why they did it, parking etc is nightmare, so I usually go from the stadium which  has  been destoryed......wow, I am debatng whether to go, and I have free tickets and local.....it kind of like a mini-me of san diego......

Word I heard was it was done to get the exhibitors off their back who had paid in advance for their booths. It was a final take it or leave it so they didn't have to refund money. I seriously doubt anybody is going to make much if any money off this show. Most exhibitors did what I would have and that is to write it off as a loss on their taxes. Throwing good money after bad seems like a real bad idea. When was the last time you saw tickets still available for a SDCC?

All that being said, if I was a local with a free pass, I would either take an Uber or have someone drop me off and pick me up afterwards. Sounds like virtually no vintage comic dealers (which is the only reason I went as long as I did). But, you never know and I'm sure there would be some interesting things to look at. Probably no crowds either. Shots and tests required will probably keep a lot of the riff raff away. Will be a real sad affair but better than nothing in this "new era" of comic shows.