• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

San Diego Comic Con International Nov 26-28 2021
1 1

95 posts in this topic

On 11/26/2021 at 11:09 AM, cloud cloddie said:

Not impressed with the speed of the vaccine verification line. :mad:

i did it fast but that was at 830 am, any board member want to hang out or hi tommorow  please PM me and we will meet up, especially if you are a baseball card  collector as I am selling my collection

On 11/26/2021 at 9:31 AM, Mmehdy said:

OK, I am in....first you go to vax line and show ID and vax card, or pay to get a test and then you go to the badge line and let me tell you, very excited crowd, room looks great ( got a preview) this is a SOLID show without the crowds being overwhelming. It it for SURE worth a attend if you can...more later

Need close up pictures of the books you and me love :manhero:

Well, I went Friday and Saturday and yes you could easily have done this show in one day. For comic dealers could you could box dive all in a few hours.

Had to work real hard to spend any money, goldenage , PCH and EC's were very rare at this show. The Con was OK, looking forward to a show with all the comic dealers back.

Thanks Hap. I figured as such. The vendor list was way to thin for me to spend the money to make a trip down for the weekend. Probably would have gone if I lived in SD you just never know. Did you score anything?

I just saw a bit on the local news and it looked sparce. I haven’t heard anything on WonderCon. Sure hope it goes on next year. 

On 11/24/2021 at 10:31 PM, Agent 007 said:

I have my tickets in hand, received a little goodie bag of items and a nice pin.  Already set up across the street in Gas Lamp is a Le Brea site.  I wasn't expecting anything outside at all.  I can't wait o see what else I will see Friday!!  You have to wear a bracelet the entire time with a ticket.  Not posting pics of anything until the event starts to not take the fun away from anyone. :)  

@Agent 007  So how was it for you? 

I agree.  $ 150 for a "forced" three day pass was too much.  I wanted a one day pass for Friday. Since none were available, I was going to skip the November show.

So instead of SDCC light, I went to the Las Vegas mini-con the previous weekend.  In Vegas, Harley was surprised I wasn't going to the SDCC light convention, so he offered me a pass.  What the heck, I accepted.  The show might be disappointing, but at least I wouldn't have to shell out 150 bucks.  Plus, Harley had only a fraction of his stock in Vegas.  In San Diego, he was going to have all of his books.

I was still able to buy parking online and I gathered my paperwork for vaccine/PCR testing verification.  Luckily, Friday's opening was 12 noon.  That allowed me to sleep in and get over my turkey hang over.  Friday traffic from North Orange county to San Diego was heavy, so I arrived a little after 12 noon.  The verification line was long, so I leisurely walked over to Kansas City BBQ for some lunch.  Then I headed over to the Embassy Suites front desk to pick up my badge.

I slowly walked back to the Convention Center and was surprised the verification line was very short.  Within 7 minutes, I was verified!  

I walked in the south end of the convention floor and it immediately felt like Wondercon, or at least the size of Wondercon.  I hung out in the art area, and I was going into the Artists Alley. But I figured I should hit Harley's booth first.  As I walked through the hall (heading to the north end), it was busy, but not crowded.  I noticed a mom and pop comic booth and I made a mental note to come back.  You never know what gem you can find in these type of booths.

Once I arrived at Harley's booth, I started going through each box with a fine tooth comb.  I had forgotten how much fun it is to look at so many funny books.  For all you boardies who did not make it down -- thank you.  You left all the good stuff for me. :baiting:  I ended up with a nice stack of books priced in the 30 to 200 dollar range. I even picked up an Ohio pedigree book.  :drool:   I also bought a high grade Four Color book that I felt was priced somewhat cheap -- at least compared to a slabbed 8.5 on line.  I had been looking at this book for so long, and now I have a nice copy.  :luhv:

I also bought three big books that I had to think about for a while.  I figured they would be gone in the next one or two convention stops, so I added them to the pile.  I ended spending 3 hours and 15 minutes looking at all of Harley's stuff!  This included a box of new stuff that he had not yet priced.  For some reason, it feels like Christmas when you get to see books that no one else has seen.

Harley had a several boxes of books priced at 25 % off.  Those were selling briskly.  A lot of people were asking for Moderns, so that era does not appear to be slowing down, at least not at the moment.  Those collectors were directed to another booth that was selling nothing but Moderns.

One lady bought an early Batman Joker cover.  I gave her an :golfclap:and she was quite happy with the purchase.  Pricey, but a super cool cover.

I was meeting a fellow boardie for dinner at 6:30 PM, so I had very little time to see the rest of the floor.  I took a quick look at Shortboxed booth, Torpedo and Graham Crackers booths.  I looked through one box at Jamie's set up, but I ran out of time.  I never made to Artists Alley and I did not make it to the mom and pop booth.  Oh well.

I had a great time!  If I had to do it over, I would have arrived by 9:30 AM, 10 at the latest.  That way, I would have been "verified", grabbed an early lunch and been ready to go right at 12 noon.  Here's looking forward to Wondercon 2022, SDCC 2022 and maybe one other major convention on the East coast.

On 11/29/2021 at 5:00 PM, Bumble Kitty said:

I agree.  $ 150 for a "forced" three day pass was too much.  I wanted a one day pass for Friday. Since none were available, I was going to skip the November show.

So instead of SDCC light, I went to the Las Vegas mini-con the previous weekend.  In Vegas, Harley was surprised I wasn't going to the SDCC light convention, so he offered me a pass.  What the heck, I accepted.  The show might be disappointing, but at least I wouldn't have to shell out 150 bucks.  Plus, Harley had only a fraction of his stock in Vegas.  In San Diego, he was going to have all of his books.

I was still able to buy parking online and I gathered my paperwork for vaccine/PCR testing verification.  Luckily, Friday's opening was 12 noon.  That allowed me to sleep in and get over my turkey hang over.  Friday traffic from North Orange county to San Diego was heavy, so I arrived a little after 12 noon.  The verification line was long, so I leisurely walked over to Kansas City BBQ for some lunch.  Then I headed over to the Embassy Suites front desk to pick up my badge.

I slowly walked back to the Convention Center and was surprised the verification line was very short.  Within 7 minutes, I was verified!  

I walked in the south end of the convention floor and it immediately felt like Wondercon, or at least the size of Wondercon.  I hung out in the art area, and I was going into the Artists Alley. But I figured I should hit Harley's booth first.  As I walked through the hall (heading to the north end), it was busy, but not crowded.  I noticed a mom and pop comic booth and I made a mental note to come back.  You never know what gem you can find in these type of booths.

Once I arrived at Harley's booth, I started going through each box with a fine tooth comb.  I had forgotten how much fun it is to look at so many funny books.  For all you boardies who did not make it down -- thank you.  You left all the good stuff for me. :baiting:  I ended up with a nice stack of books priced in the 30 to 200 dollar range. I even picked up an Ohio pedigree book.  :drool:   I also bought a high grade Four Color book that I felt was priced somewhat cheap -- at least compared to a slabbed 8.5 on line.  I had been looking at this book for so long, and now I have a nice copy.  :luhv:

I also bought three big books that I had to think about for a while.  I figured they would be gone in the next one or two convention stops, so I added them to the pile.  I ended spending 3 hours and 15 minutes looking at all of Harley's stuff!  This included a box of new stuff that he had not yet priced.  For some reason, it feels like Christmas when you get to see books that no one else has seen.

Harley had a several boxes of books priced at 25 % off.  Those were selling briskly.  A lot of people were asking for Moderns, so that era does not appear to be slowing down, at least not at the moment.  Those collectors were directed to another booth that was selling nothing but Moderns.

One lady bought an early Batman Joker cover.  I gave her an :golfclap:and she was quite happy with the purchase.  Pricey, but a super cool cover.

I was meeting a fellow boardie for dinner at 6:30 PM, so I had very little time to see the rest of the floor.  I took a quick look at Shortboxed booth, Torpedo and Graham Crackers booths.  I looked through one box at Jamie's set up, but I ran out of time.  I never made to Artists Alley and I did not make it to the mom and pop booth.  Oh well.

I had a great time!  If I had to do it over, I would have arrived by 9:30 AM, 10 at the latest.  That way, I would have been "verified", grabbed an early lunch and been ready to go right at 12 noon.  Here's looking forward to Wondercon 2022, SDCC 2022 and maybe one other major convention on the East coast.

Thanks for the con report from the point of a vintage comic buyer Kitty.

Sounds like it was worth your trip. Sounds like you went down and back same day. And getting that free pass from Harley sure helped.

I usually find a few cool books from his boxes when he brings a full load. I’m sure Jamie Graham would make me happy too. Probably wouldn’t buy much from Shortboxed as slabs are not generally my thing. Torpedo would probably be a waste of time too. Sal in Redbeard’s booth is an old friend but I rarely buy much from him. And that leaves the “Mom and Pop” booth. Probably would have hit them first. Probably a short visit. Often all it takes is a cool book or two. These folks are often a bit more workable price wise. SDCC used to have a fair amount of these booths in the old days but have been pretty much run out.

I pretty much have very little interest in most everything else. Probably easy to walk the rest of the floor for excercise though.

The Torpedo show was much more to my liking. Solid turnout of lots of nationwide dealers that bring what I like and guys I like to spend my money with. Even that was easily doable in one day with a few hours to spare. It has become the “new SDCC” to me.

Haven’t heard anything about WonderCon yet. Hopefully, it goes on. Without it and Terry’s con, there won’t be much for us SO CA collectors unless we can get back to traveling again soon. 

On 11/26/2021 at 11:38 AM, Mmehdy said:

i did it fast but that was at 830 am, any board member want to hang out or hi tommorow  please PM me and we will meet up, especially if you are a baseball card  collector as I am selling my collection

@MmehdyHow was it for you Mitch? Would love to hear an honest report from another vintage comic collector. Pick up anything? Sell those baseball cards? 

On 11/29/2021 at 9:03 PM, innocuous said:

Saw a video from Torpedo comics…wow was the attendance sparse. I wouldn’t call this SDCC. Maybe a random gathering of sellers and some buyers. 

Considering they get a lot of visits from out-of-towners, I expected things to be sparse for the holiday weekend. Hell, I considered attending, but with main cabin seats going for over $1,200, that was a hard pass for me.