• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help identifying some JUDGE DREDD original art

13 posts in this topic

Pictured below is a piece of Judge Dredd Art my wife and I bought decades ago on our first trip to the UK. It's a great piece and we both have fond memories of the trip and buying the art. However, I don't remember who that artist was and it is not signed. As well any help on identifying which issue it's in would be extra helpful.

We bought this piece from a London Comic/Gaming Store. We were there on a Saturday Morning and the long narrow shop was packed to the gills with Comic Buyers, Role Playing Gamers, Figure Painters etc. You could hardly move, the whole place was abuzz with conversation.. We decided to buy this piece and I also was interested in some comics on their 'Comic Wall'. I tried asking about one TALES OF SUSPENSE 11, one of the early 60's 'pre-hero' Monster Marvel Comics, this issue featuring Googam 'Son of Goom'. I tried asking the clerk to get it down several times but as it was LOUD in there he couldn't understand what comic I was talking about. There was a step ladder in front of their glass case full of gaming figures, so I got onto it, reached across the counter and pointed directly at the the TOS 11 and said 'That one'. His eyes lit up as he clearly approved of me choice. Obviously a comic sale worth announcing! In his LOUDEST and simultaneously 'plumy' and stentorian voice the clerk yelled out "He wants GOOGAM! He wants to buy GOOGAM!". Instantly, the entire store-filled to the brim with maybe 150 British comic fans-went silent and turned as one towards me and stared voiceless as I perched frozen on the top step of the ladder with my arms outstretched, hand pointed guiltily at GOOGAM!!!. It was beyond embarassing. It was like a moment from VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED. Maybe if they disapproved, they would attack?? There was at least 5 seconds of prickly silence as they took it all in then deciding I was worthy of the purchase (I guess) they went back to their chatter and as a lot ignored me.

It was a very funny moment which I always recall when I pass this piece.

Perhaps Marwood and I was there that morning? I did purchase the TOS 11, a UK priced copy which I still have.

Thanks for any help.

GK

IMG_3988.JPG

IMG_3989.JPG

IMG_3990.JPG

On 9/11/2021 at 11:58 AM, Book Guy said:

Thanks for the info. Too much sentimental value to sell. Plus I like looking at it every time I pass it by!

GK

That makes me happy 😃 

Edited by grapeape