• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fun times at the Windy City pulp show!
1 1

23 posts in this topic

Well, so far all I've managed to buy is a boxful of smutty 50's paperbacks and a set of the unauthorized  Ace edition of The Lord of the Rings from the 1960's. Today was all my bargain hunt, tomorrow will squeeze for deals on comics.

Edited by catrick339

Thanks for the pics and commentary Rick. I would kill to be there. I can only imagine what I would pull outta your musty old boxes. This looks like the best of the "old time" shows with a bit of everything in the room. Love seeing stacks for comics and pulps on tables. I'll bet @PopKulture was more than happy to help you unload and pick through your boxes first. I love pulps and paper but am a comic collector first and foremost. What is great is most of the photos are of GA non-superhero books mostly. Horror, Crime, GGA and the like are what keeps me up at night. I would have spent a fortune in there. 

Hope you do well, have fun and stay safe. Thanks again!

Took a few pics of my next to buy, but then we got busy with breakdown and loading, so you'll have to wait for Group Three,  where all the PCH  lives, until we get home and organized. Here's Group 2.

20210912_112634.jpg

20210912_112727.jpg

20210912_112801.jpg

On 9/12/2021 at 11:24 AM, Robot Man said:

Thanks for the pics and commentary Rick. I would kill to be there. I can only imagine what I would pull outta your musty old boxes. This looks like the best of the "old time" shows with a bit of everything in the room. Love seeing stacks for comics and pulps on tables. I'll bet @PopKulture was more than happy to help you unload and pick through your boxes first. I love pulps and paper but am a comic collector first and foremost. What is great is most of the photos are of GA non-superhero books mostly. Horror, Crime, GGA and the like are what keeps me up at night. I would have spent a fortune in there. 

Hope you do well, have fun and stay safe. Thanks again!

I like the flavor of this show VERY much,  reminds me of the old time comic shows of the 70's.

You might find ANYTHING  tucked away in a corner of someone's booth. 

On 9/12/2021 at 8:41 PM, OtherEric said:

Did he do the interior as well, or just the cover?

Couldn't tell you, it was a toss-in on the deal for the Real Screen 1. Looked nice so I snagged it.  I'll post more and better pix of that one and some other items once I have them safely home and laid out on the work table.

On 9/13/2021 at 6:36 PM, catrick339 said:

Better shot of the Freas 3-D book, and his sig. Painted front cover ONLY, interior not by Freas.

Turns out it was published by Fiction House. Who knew?!

20210913_213153.jpg

20210913_213213.jpg

Love the signature and dedication.  I didn’t think the interior was Freas, but I’ve never seen a name attached to it either.  My copy lacks the glasses.

Isn’t the book a Gerber 7?  I don’t think it’s an 8 but it’s not common.

On 9/13/2021 at 10:19 PM, OtherEric said:

Love the signature and dedication.  I didn’t think the interior was Freas, but I’ve never seen a name attached to it either.  My copy lacks the glasses.

Isn’t the book a Gerber 7?  I don’t think it’s an 8 but it’s not common.

O'street says "scarce" too. First copy I've run across.

On 9/13/2021 at 9:18 PM, catrick339 said:

Highlights of the precode stack I picked  up Sunday, along with  some other goodies. 

20210913_214834.jpg

Wow, Rick, I thought when you showed me this stack that they were books you already had. I didn't realize you had just picked them up at the show! That was some productive time away from the booth, my friend. Congrats!! (thumbsu