• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men # 1 Cover by Jim Lee
1 1

127 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2021 at 9:40 AM, John E. said:

It was a joke guys. 

It was not. 

xD hell maybe your were. It’s hard keeping up with the true nature of this unruly band of mischief makers!

I still can imagine a scenario in this greed is good investment banker approach to comic art acquisition where the ‘bad guy’ obtains them then does the unthinkable and breaks them up.

Even if you were kidding.

Edited by grapeape

On 9/12/2021 at 2:16 PM, grapeape said:

It was not. 

xD hell maybe your were. It’s hard keeping up with the true nature of this unruly band of mischief makers!

I still can imagine a scenario in this greed is good investment banker approach to comic art acquisition where the ‘bad guy’ obtains them then does the unthinkable and breaks them up.

Even if you were kidding.

I really was kidding and making merry mischief.

I guess it is possible that someone could break these up. I mean people cut trading card art right down the middle and sell it off that way. 

Was this issue one big gatefold or were they separate connecting covers? I don’t remember. 

On 9/12/2021 at 3:16 PM, grapeape said:

C'mon, you don't really want to go here do you?

It tempts me to re-post the story of everyone's Friendly Neighborhood... cutting Marvelmania art sheets up and...well, you know, "Greed is good."

So maybe let's not do that this time? ;) 

On 9/12/2021 at 4:12 PM, grapeape said:

🍇 🦍 re:
Don’t go changing, to try and please me.... 🎵 sang the kid from Long Island. But change, rearrange, yeah I’ll go there. I wouldn’t feel comfortable glueing a word balloon back on let alone taking scissors and such to original art.

IDK. Please whoever buys the freaking Jim Lee Cover(s) leave them in tact. I’m getting the cold sweats now. I don’t need this bad ju ju feeling. It was just a joke?

On 9/13/2021 at 6:29 AM, Taylor G said:

The used car salesmen have not left the hobby.

They're just getting warmed up.

This is the "other fractional" market, aside from Rally/et al.

Cutting panels is great business at both ends of the move/market - early days when everything was dirt cheap (and still few buyers), likewise late days when everything is too expensive (and thus few buyers).

Jim had been appearing with Toroedo. He was with them at this summer’s  LA show. Must’ve built the rapport? Talked some numbers. I think Vodou has a point that the opportunity to see some offers and gauge take it or leave it without being on he record is advantage Jim Lee.

On 9/12/2021 at 9:44 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

well, I think he bought it closer to 1998, so I'd say day he lost money the first 10 years. If he sold it all now, maybe 4-6x his money? I'm not sure that's a good return compared to other things he could have bought in the late 90's that would be 20X now easily. 

I'm sure it would be closer to 20x now on the X-Men book than 4-6x.  Even the X-Force #1 book would surely be well over 10x at this point.  Not that it matters since Bill cashed out of both many years ago.

Edited by delekkerste

On 9/13/2021 at 11:43 AM, grapeape said:

Jim had been appearing with Toroedo. He was with them at this summer’s  LA show. Must’ve built the rapport? Talked some numbers. I think Vodou has a point that the opportunity to see some offers and gauge take it or leave it without being on he record is advantage Jim Lee.

Maybe @stinkininkin can confirm, but, I believe that Torpedo head honcho John Dolmayan was Jim Lee's best man at his wedding and they have a relationship together that goes way back. 

Edited by delekkerste