• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men # 1 Cover by Jim Lee
1 1

127 posts in this topic

On 9/13/2021 at 10:18 AM, delekkerste said:

Maybe @stinkininkin can confirm, but, I believe that Torpedo head honcho John Dolmayan was Jim Lee's best man at his wedding and they have a relationship together that goes way back. 

I'm willing to confirm, only because both John and Jim have talked about this and their friendship publicly on social media. They are very good friends.

On 9/14/2021 at 2:33 PM, Crowzilla said:

Just to keep the date in perspective it was 1991 (picture from my copy of the catalog, which Jim was also nice enough to sign for me the day of the auction).

And it was a crazy price at the time. For comparison, the hammer prices of some of the comics included the  Larson Marvel #1 at $26K, a restored Action #1 for $27K, a shocking $50K for the Detective #27, the White Mountain Spidey #1 at $14K, and the White Mountain run of X-Men (33 books) for $12K. 

Art prices included a Krazy Kat Sunday for $5500, Foster Tarzan Sunday at $8,000, Schomburg Cap painting at $3,000, Davis Mad #2 cover passed at $6K, Shulz Peanuts Sunday from 1953 at $3750, Infantino Flash #123 cover at $16K, Ditko Spidey #31 complete 20 page story $22K, Kirby FF #71 cover passed at $4500, and the star of the auction, Frazetta's Vampirella #1 painting at $70,000.

Yeah, I remember thinking it was a typo when I read the report of the auction.  It just didn't seem possible that the pages from such a recent book could sell for so much.

So which of the items you list above have experienced the greatest price appreciation in percentage terms?  I'm thinking it must be the Spidey #31 pages, with the Peanuts Sunday in second?

On 9/14/2021 at 11:33 AM, tth2 said:

So which of the items you list above have experienced the greatest price appreciation in percentage terms?  I'm thinking it must be the Spidey #31 pages, with the Peanuts Sunday in second?

"Ditko Spidey #31 complete 20 page story $22K"

Yeah, Amazing!

On 9/14/2021 at 11:00 AM, stinkininkin said:

Here's another tidbit to add a little spice to this story. Jim and I actually got an offer for the Xmen 1 issue prior to the auction for DOUBLE the amount it hammered for. We turned it down! :facepalm: We took a calculated risk just to satisfy our curiosity, but ended up slipping on the banana peel! Wouldn't change a thing though, because now 30 years later I have this great and humbling story to tell all of you!(thumbsu

Great story.

So Jim got to keep all 4 covers to #1.  Did you ask for 1 of them or did you get other later covers, like the #4 you showed recently?

So for the love of Pete that fourth cover was a copy (all copies actually) because if ever there was a foreshadow of something bad happening with soup...... 

Even though I had a weird feeling of shenanigans  I still jumped and felt ill for about five seconds when John spilled the soup on the art. 😂 

Not 😎 cool guys I’m too old for those gags. Every con there is at least one insufficiently_thoughtful_person with a big gulp looking through a portfolio. I have to walk away...

🍇 🦍 🥣 🖼 

On 9/14/2021 at 2:17 PM, grapeape said:

So for the love of Pete that fourth cover was a copy (all copies actually) because if ever there was a foreshadow of something bad happening with soup...... 

Even though I had a weird feeling of shenanigans  I still jumped and felt ill for about five seconds when John spilled the soup on the art. 😂 

Not 😎 cool guys I’m too old for those gags. Every con there is at least one insufficiently_thoughtful_person with a big gulp looking through a portfolio. I have to walk away...

🍇 🦍 🥣 🖼 

I cringed just watching Jim lay down the art bare on the counter. I have been many a times crushed ruining important papers with invisible condensation left behind by a cold drink. 😵💫

On 9/14/2021 at 2:27 PM, John E. said:

I cringed just watching Jim lay down the art bare on the counter. I have been many a times crushed ruining important papers with invisible condensation left behind by a cold drink. 😵💫

I've often seen artists and dealers handle their wares in ways that seem cringingly cavalier. I'm always worried about putting a crease, a ding, a bend, a smudge, etc.

Yes many old school dealers out of habit still handle original art work roughly. In their eyes you really can’t hurt the art.

Now I’m not a condition freak. I believe one of a kind trumps most defects. I just believe now that art is collectible we owe it to history to preserve art to our best ability. 

I was going through Saul Zimmerman’s portfolio once and I pulled out a John Buscema Surfer page, handling it as if I was taking the Mona Lisa out of the frame. He kind of smirked at me like ‘what the hell are ya doing.’ His wife even commented that she never saw anyone handle the art so gently. I thought Saul was going to die.

At San Diego twenty years ago an exhibitor had a page out of Strange Takes annual 2 with Spider-Man and it was kind of bent in half hanging over a wire. I guess it didn’t hurt it but perception, it looked untidy.I nearly had a stroke. But that’s old school thinking on stuff that was meant for the bin.

Even when you watch the ‘dealer’ shows the boys are awful handsy with the goods. No soup spills yet!!! 

On 9/15/2021 at 3:07 PM, grapeape said:

Yes many old school dealers out of habit still handle original art work roughly. In their eyes you really can’t hurt the art.

Now I’m not a condition freak. I believe one of a kind trumps most defects. I just believe now that art is collectible we owe it to history to preserve art to our best ability. 

Exactly.

Two weeks ago, I bought an upcoming watercolor cover from David Mack's series Joy Operations. It was part of a stack of unprotected art Mack brought to the convention- no portfolio or anything. And I'm thinking, "Sleeve this thing!"

On 9/15/2021 at 4:07 PM, grapeape said:

Even when you watch the ‘dealer’ shows the boys are awful handsy with the goods. No soup spills yet!!! 

And heaven forbid they actually spend money on plastic bags so their customers can walk around without fear in their hearts against damage. Or at least make sure someone is there to sell them. Might even make some money.